Thread: Uh oh, Aldridge is an awesome post defender

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. TOP #1
    TowelBoy is developing a reputation TowelBoy's Avatar Minor League Stand Out

Default Uh oh, Aldridge is an awesome post defender

2. TOP #2
    Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man's Avatar Mr. SportsTwo

Default Re: Uh oh, Aldridge is an awesome post defender

Aldridge is a great post defender vs his own man.

I am not a hater, just pointing that out as to not mislead anyone

3. TOP #3
    magnifier661 has several friends magnifier661 has several friends magnifier661 has several friends magnifier661 has several friends magnifier661 has several friends magnifier661 has several friends magnifier661 has several friends magnifier661 has several friends magnifier661 has several friends magnifier661's Avatar R.I.P. MGB 2013

Yeah but zags, blue9 and fez say he is a horrible defender. They don't look at stats brother

4. TOP #4

Quote Originally Posted by Mediocre Man View Post
    Aldridge is a great post defender vs his own man.

I am not a hater, just pointing that out as to not mislead anyone
    The data: FG% on all shots taken by all players when Aldridge was within 5 feet of the basket.

5. TOP #5
    magnifier661 has several friends magnifier661 has several friends magnifier661 has several friends magnifier661 has several friends magnifier661 has several friends magnifier661 has several friends magnifier661 has several friends magnifier661 has several friends magnifier661 has several friends magnifier661's Avatar R.I.P. MGB 2013

Aldridge is a great one on one defender, but isn't that great at help d. That's the misconception. That's why adding a player like McGee could really help this ball club.

6. TOP #6

Quote Originally Posted by TowelBoy View Post
    The data: FG% on all shots taken by all players when Aldridge was within 5 feet of the basket.
    Oh shit!!! Then excuse my last post then! Take that haters!!!!!

7. TOP #7
    mook has statements worth reading mook has statements worth reading mook has statements worth reading mook has statements worth reading mook has statements worth reading mook has statements worth reading mook has statements worth reading mook's Avatar Olshey Stashing Assets

I've always felt this. Since this article confirms my bias, it's definitely true.

8. TOP #8
    Rastapopoulos is making friends Rastapopoulos is making friends Rastapopoulos is making friends Rastapopoulos is making friends Rastapopoulos is making friends Rastapopoulos is making friends Rastapopoulos's Avatar field linguist

Damn I wish we could've got Hibbert. Why did Indy have to match?
    A momentary lepriform image flashed by some artifice in the midst of an otherwise rabbitless sequence might not prompt assent to 'Rabbit' even though the same image would have done so if ensconced in a more favorable sequence.

9. TOP #9

Quote Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
    Hibbert would be the perfect compliment to Aldridge. We would probably be the best team that defends points in the paint

10. TOP #10
    Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man's Avatar Mr. SportsTwo

Literally the perfect compliment to Aldridge

11. TOP #11
    BLAZINGGIANTS has statements worth reading BLAZINGGIANTS has statements worth reading BLAZINGGIANTS has statements worth reading BLAZINGGIANTS has statements worth reading BLAZINGGIANTS has statements worth reading BLAZINGGIANTS has statements worth reading BLAZINGGIANTS has statements worth reading BLAZINGGIANTS has statements worth reading BLAZINGGIANTS's Avatar MVP Winner

Because guys the size of trees that can actually hoop don't just grow on trees?
    Simply Kahmical.

Lillard in 2012 and beyond.

12. TOP #12
    Hobbesarable has written some things that people like Hobbesarable has written some things that people like Hobbesarable's Avatar Cartoon Character

Quote Originally Posted by magnifier661 View Post
    Oh shit!!! Then excuse my last post then! Take that haters!!!!!
    Then put him at center, make him the apex of the defense, and sign/trade for a different PF.

13. TOP #13
    blue9 has written some things that people like blue9 has written some things that people like Part of the Rotation

Interesting. Not quite sure what to make of it. I'm certainly not just going to buy into it because some weird amalgamation of numbers says something that my eyes tell me isn't true. It's pretty much been the consensus here - both lovers and haters - that LMA is not a good help-defender. Are we all just making it up when we see LMA stand glued to the floor rather than rotating to protect the hoop? Funny that some people are so quick to buy into something without first giving it a bit of thought as long as it helps refute someone they take great issue with.

So...ALL shots taken when LMA is within 5' of the hoop? So, all 3-pointers, all mid-range jumpers, all lay-ups - everything. I'm not quite sure how a missed 3-pointer makes LMA a better post defender...I think it just points to Nic/Wes/whoever being a good perimeter defender OR the shooter just taking a lower-percentage shot. Also, how often is LMA within 5' of the hoop? Given that he leads all PFs (and all but one C) in minutes played, yet only "faced" 221 shots (good for 7th on the list) it appears he's not near the hoop all too often. If he's not near the hoop, how can he be protecting it?

Maybe we have a poorly thought out stat that really doesn't measure anything?

14. TOP #14
    Hobbesarable has written some things that people like Hobbesarable has written some things that people like Hobbesarable's Avatar Cartoon Character

The full list is on page 7 of the following pdf link:

http://www.sloansportsconference.com...0the%20NBA.pdf

15. TOP #15

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesarable View Post

The full list of players they studied anyway

16. TOP #16
    EL PRESIDENTE has statements worth reading EL PRESIDENTE has statements worth reading EL PRESIDENTE has statements worth reading EL PRESIDENTE has statements worth reading EL PRESIDENTE has statements worth reading EL PRESIDENTE has statements worth reading EL PRESIDENTE has statements worth reading EL PRESIDENTE has statements worth reading EL PRESIDENTE's Avatar Damian O. Lillar_

YOU CAN'T LOOK AT ANY STATS (I.E BLOCKS PER GAME) OR EVEN HIS GAME TO DETERMINE THAT HE IS INDEED A POOR DEFENDER. WE NEED TO TRADE HIM *STAT*.
    INSTAGRAM!
    We have to provide food and shelter for the homeless, and oppose racial discrimination and promote civil rights, while also promoting equal rights for women. We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern and less materialism in young people.

17. TOP #17

Quote Originally Posted by Mediocre Man View Post
    The full list of players they studied anyway
    It's better than giving you just the top 10.

18. TOP #18
    blue9 has written some things that people like blue9 has written some things that people like Part of the Rotation

And on that list he ranks #37 in "shots faced"...

19. TOP #19

Quote Originally Posted by blue9 View Post
    And on that list he ranks #37 in "shots faced"...
    Check the following on p. 11 of the pdf:

B) Proximal FG%: The results summarize the FG% of opponents when each defender was within 5 feet.

20. TOP #20

Interesting. Not quite sure what to make of it. I'm certainly not just going to buy into it because some weird amalgamation of numbers says something that my eyes tell me isn't true. It's pretty much been the consensus here - both lovers and haters - that LMA is not a good help-defender. Are we all just making it up when we see LMA stand glued to the floor rather than rotating to protect the hoop? Funny that some people are so quick to buy into something without first giving it a bit of thought as long as it helps refute someone they take great issue with.

So...ALL shots taken when LMA is within 5' of the hoop? So, all 3-pointers, all mid-range jumpers, all lay-ups - everything. I'm not quite sure how a missed 3-pointer makes LMA a better post defender...I think it just points to Nic/Wes/whoever being a good perimeter defender OR the shooter just taking a lower-percentage shot. Also, how often is LMA within 5' of the hoop? Given that he leads all PFs (and all but one C) in minutes played, yet only "faced" 221 shots (good for 7th on the list) it appears he's not near the hoop all too often. If he's not near the hoop, how can he be protecting it?

The data is broken down by close FGA, middle FGA, and 3PTA. But it is sorted by close FGA.

21. TOP #21
    Wizard Mentor is becoming well known Wizard Mentor is becoming well known Wizard Mentor is becoming well known Wizard Mentor's Avatar Super Dad

I'm not a Hater and I don't even play one on TV. However, I think the haters would look at the first column (of page 7) and confirm what they already think, which is something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Hater
    In the rare occasions LMA is within 5 ft of the basket, the team's defense improves significantly.
    For myself I would simply say that there are a lot easier ways to score on Portland than going into the post against LMA.

Rest in Peace:
    Maurice Lucas (February 18, 1952 – October 31, 2010)
    Kevin Jerome Duckworth (April 1, 1964 – August 25, 2008)

Quote Originally Posted by BBert
    Mo makes many horrific plays, and freezes out better shooting teammates, or delivers the ball way too late, even when they are on a hot streak. I'd rather have the Wizard Mentor coming off the bench. Hurry CJ. You are our only hope.

22. TOP #22
    drexlersdad has written some things that people like drexlersdad has written some things that people like drexlersdad has written some things that people like drexlersdad's Avatar lovely lovely ludwig van

anyone that watches games can tell he frustrates opponents on the block

but...hes not as good as lebron! so he sucks!!1!

23. TOP #23

Natebishop3 has several friends Natebishop3 has several friends Natebishop3 has several friends Natebishop3 has several friends Natebishop3 has several friends Natebishop3 has several friends Natebishop3 has several friends Natebishop3 has several friends Natebishop3 has several friends Natebishop3 has several friends Natebishop3's Avatar Don't tread on me!

Quote Originally Posted by drexlersdad View Post
    anyone that watches games can tell he frustrates opponents on the block

but...hes not as good as lebron! so he sucks!!1!
    This post needs more 1s.

24. TOP #24
    drexlersdad has written some things that people like drexlersdad has written some things that people like drexlersdad has written some things that people like drexlersdad's Avatar lovely lovely ludwig van

the wild hypotheticals to try and fit your narrative are coming off as ridiculously desperate

its talking about post defense

re-read it if you have to

25. TOP #25
    VanillaGorilla is making friends VanillaGorilla is making friends VanillaGorilla is making friends VanillaGorilla is making friends VanillaGorilla is making friends VanillaGorilla is making friends VanillaGorilla's Avatar Man of Steel

That stat sucks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information