God damn the people I live around are fat

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by mook, Mar 4, 2013.

1. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    I'm no featherweight. Clocked in this morning at 217. I once weighed 284. So maybe I'm like that annoying guy who quit smoking 6 weeks ago and is sanctimonious as hell.

But I took my son to a local amusement park-type bowling/lasertag place on Sunday. I felt like that kid in 6th Sense. "Everywhere I look I see fat people." The only skinny people seemed to be 16 year old boys (who can chew through 4000 calories a day like lawnmowers).

Dang, dude. This nation has really let itself go.

2. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
    ...stop selling them cook books! :devilwink:

3. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

I like food more than I care about what you think of me.

4. mook

How am I suppose to afford all this delicious cake and pie?

5. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I'm fat but working hard to change that. I was already big and then when I quit smoking I put on an additional 30LBS for a grand total of about +80 from where I should be. Rode my bike to work plus quite a bit extra today, and am trying to cut out refined flour and other bad shit like sugar, although sugar isn't my big problem. Just finished a big salad for lunch. But, when you look at me you just think fat, not hey, that fat guy is working on getting less fat. It takes a lot longer to lose weight than gain it.

6. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

For me, I was a rail for most of my life, and I didn't have to do anything to maintain it. Then I hit 28 and my body said, "now it's on you buddy". I'm not fat, but I'm definitely out of shape. I need to start exercising again.

7. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    Ya, I was always a bit fat, mocked as far back as grade school. In high school I was already dieting, playing basketball, lifting weights, and could never get better than 25LBS overweight. If you look at me, you would guess I am very out of shape, but my blood pressure is good, I bike or go to 24h fitness 5 times a week, plus a few hikes and the like. I fuck like a monster. Some people are fat cause they eat at Burgerking, others are fat cause it's just who they are. My goal is just to be a little fat. If I can get down to 210 (im 5'10") I'll be thrilled.

I'm not saying that I have no culpability, especially since quitting smoking I have eaten more. But all you naturally skinny people have got it easy. But we all get what we get.

8. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

That pretty much happened to me as well and I developed some health problems.

I had cut off a lot of the sugars, carbohydrates, and the occasionally snacking throughout the day.

Now, I have a banana and V8 every morning. Sometimes I will switch it up with oatmeal. For lunch I'll have half a sandwich, some soup and fruit. Dinner is where I'll occasionally give myself a tiny treat and splurge.

For drinks I'll have tea, water, and some watered down fruit juice.

Exercise is also a good idea even if it's walking. Also the every other day jog/run and weight lifting.

9. Masbee

Masbee -- Rookie of the Year

Here is a tip:

Reinforce your drive to be healthy and normal weight by positive cues of other people that are healthy weight.

Avoid hanging around too many obese people for long periods of time. Notice where extra numbers of obese people hang. Stay away from those places.

If you are someplace (state fair, tractor pull, wall-mart, all you can eat buffet, fast-food joint, "amusement" place) take a good look. Then, run out of there screaming if the obese zombie apocalypse is at hand.

Look for where the normal and thin people are. Where do they shop? Where do they eat out? What do they do for recreation? Go there and do that.

Idaho is a beautiful place with lots of opportunity for hunting, fishing, hiking, biking, mountain biking, skiing, snoeshoeing, etc. Do that stuff. There will be lots of non-obese folks doing it along-side you and your child.

If you want to get into that line of thinking even more, choose your friends so they won't make you fat. There is evidence that:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/13/magazine/13contagion-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

10. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

i find this post comical

find where thin people shop and shop there too? run screaming if you see a fat person? choose your friends based on their bmi?

wtf :lol:

you have issues man

11. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    My engineer's diet worked great for me. I lost 30 pounds in 3 months, and cut my cholesterol level from over 300 to 150.

The trick to losing and maintaining weight is to keep a journal of absolutely every bit of food or drink you put in your mouth. Get to know the nutrition values from the label on the food or look up the values online. Measure and weigh the food you eat, so you have an accurate log.

For my diet, I counted calories, fat, saturated fat, and fiber. I ate no more than 1500 calories a day. No more than 25% of my calories came from fat. No more than 6% of calories from saturated fat. At least 28 grams of fiber.

The program is that simple. If you are over 6' tall, you might go to 1700 calories or even 2000 if you're really active.

The formula to calculate calories from fat is fat (grams) * 9 (calories/gram). I provide this info so you have everything needed to follow the diet.

If you want to count sugars, carbs (are sugars), sodium, etc., then do so.

I created a form in Excel that had a wide column for description of food, and columns for each of the things I was counting. I printed out 7 at a time (per week) and religiously logged what I ate and drank.

I also tried to walk 1-2 miles a day, minimum. Any kind of exercise will help, even walking.

1500 calories may sound like you'd starve, but you won't. The trick is to figure out various recipes and combinations of meats and vegetables that fit into your budget.

For example, I ate a rather decent breakfast daily. 1/2 cup egg beaters, 1/4 cup non-fat cheese, 1/2 slice Farmer John's ham, 3/4 cup has browns, and either a (small) bagel or 2 slices of 45 calorie bread/toast or 1 fat free Eggo waffle. 400 calories.

For lunch, an apple and a sandwich on 45 calorie bread and a serving (14 chips, whatever) of baked potato chips or pringles is about 350 calories.

For dinner, 1 cup of cooked rice is 240 calories. Rice is nutrition that feeds about 2/3 of the world. A 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast is only 236 calories. A 6 oz lean (top loin) pork chop is about 250 calories.

Almost all vegetables are 0 calories or very low and easy to budget. You can have a really full dinner plate if you eat lots of veggies.

And almost every day, I had a nice dessert - like a cup of fat free frozen yogurt (chocolate or strawberry) for 165 calories.

I invented quite a few recipes that fit my diet strategy. A spaghetti sauce with ground turkey and turkey italian sausage. Pizza on low calorie pita bread with turkey pepperoni.

Other tips are to get rid of all the really "bad" foods in your kitchen. By "bad," I mean those that are high in fat and calories that will only put the pounds on.

And mook, I recommend you get a gun and hunt for your own food.

12. mook

lol. Yeah, I hunt. A lot. I logged probably 120 or so miles last fall just chukar hunting, which is just about as brutal a game bird as there comes in terms of hiking. After early-January it got really snowed in and I gave up, quit eating healthy, and I went from 198lbs to 221! lol Crazy how fast that shit added up. (I'm 6'.)

I'm not really worried about my own weight, though. I've got my techniques well dialed in for losing weight. Low carb, intermittent fasting, HIIT...I have a nice list of options that work for me. You don't drop from 284 without picking up some things. I've had my fun. Time to get back on track.

Food logging is definitely a great way to lose weight. It's such a pain in the ass it's often easier just to skip that snack. I recommend MyFitnessPal.com, though. So much easier than a spreadsheet.

I'm doing DietBet.com right now. Basically, you pony up some money (typically $20 or $30) to wager you'll lose 4% of your body weight over 4 weeks. (For me that's 8.8 pounds. No sweat. I've lost 12lbs in a month when I've really set my mind to it.) If you win you split the pot with the other winners.

I'm a big, big believer in Masbee's point about hangin' with fat people. We're all products of our environment, whether we admit it or not.

I was just kind of shocked at this particular outing because I usually hang with hunters, guys from karate, my old buddies...dudes who are mostly thinner than me. I shop at Walmart, so I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised. I guess I just hadn't spent that much time looking at my fellow humans.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  13. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    I kind of figured you for foraging for squirrels at the tops of trees. Or whatever vegetation is within your reach up there.

14. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Dude's always been over the top. Nuttier than squirrel turd.

15. MickZagger

UPS
    Its simple. Don't eat like complete shit, but most importantly stay active. Exercise.

16. Masbee

Masbee -- Rookie of the Year

Stay classy.

17. MickZagger

UPS
    Back at ya. Stay away from the fatso's, too.

18. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

if your mom is fat, make her leave the house when you come over to do laundry

19. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I don't eat that bad, my weakness is soda!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  20. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    fify.