I want Eric Bledsoe

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    I know there's very little chance of getting him, but I would dearly love it if we could acquire Bledsoe. The Clippers like him, for good reason (he's Russell Westbrook II) and he's under contract for at least the next season. But I hope Olshey (who drafted him) has him on his radar, because I think he would make a great Backcourt pairing with Lillard. He's a tenacious defender, and has the length to defend SGs and the speed to bother PGs. You could put him on the opponent's best backcourt player and hide Lillard a bit on the lesser. Like Westbrook (or Avery Bradley, whom the Celtics started at 2G in a move that pissed off Ray Allen) he's not a true PG, but he can allow Lillard to play off the ball some, as Maynor does now, but without the defensive issues.

I figure the Clippers are going to have trouble hanging on to him eventually, because there's no way he stays backing up Chris Paul for the next five years.

Of course, they could just start him at 2G, like I want to, and probably that's what they'll end up doing.

I would offer the Clippers any combination of a re-signed Hickson, Maynor, our #10 pick, Meyers Leonard, and the chance to offload some bad contract. I still don't think they'd bite, though.

[Shit: I just checked, and they don't really HAVE any bad contracts. Well, I think Jordan is a bad contract, but if GMs round the league overvalue him like Golden State's did, they could get actual value for him. Caron Butler earns $8M for the next year, but he's actually still good. When did the Clippers get to be well-managed? I also forgot that Chris Paul is a FA, so they'll want to hang on to Bledsoe just in case...]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  2. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Yeah I agree. Clips may want to keep him, or at least wait until they find out if cp3 stays. And even after that, cp3 does have health issues. They definitely need a player they are comfortable starting when cp3 goes down for an extended time (notice how I said "when")?

3. magnifier661

They don't have bad contracts, but will owe some players some pretty serious coin soon. You also need to take that into consideration.

4. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4RHTn_R98E[/video]

Why won't these videos embed any more?

5. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
  6. magnifier661

Looks good to me. I think I would rather use batum + freeland + pick for Bledsoe and butler. Matthews is a better defender and more manageable contract. Also, we would have another 3 mil in cap space with this trade (rookie salary).

Then we can go all in with trying to find that center and use a mle for another bench contributor.

7. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

The Clippers would be damn fools if they let Bledsoe go. I think it would likely take Batum though. I'm happy with Maynor.

8. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Except that they may be forced to, just as OKC had to let go of Harden (my previous obsession) because he's worth a big payday and won't want to come off the bench. I would agree with your statement if you qualified it with "before next season" or "before they sign Chris Paul to an extension."

Then I take a step back and say "hang on, Bledsoe's only 6'1"..."

Can't agree with you here. I was happy to get Maynor, and he's certainly an excellent backup PG, but if you're going to play him alongside Lillard, as Stotts likes to do, then the fact that neither of them can defend a lick starts to depress me. Maynor's too good to be simply a backup PG, but too bad of a defender to play the "third guard" role for us, given Lillard's shortcomings in that area. However, I bet the Clippers could use him...

9. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Chris Paul has already said Bledsoe is gone this summer. Says Bledsoe deserves to start at PG. He's gone. And he's not playing for us.

10. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Bledsoe sucks by the way. Can't shoot.

11. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

Take out the "s" make it start with "http://" instead of "https://" and it'll work.

12. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Why the hell would we trade away good pieces or overpay for a backup pg? Damien is not a SG and neither is bledsoe and to play them both togethor would be foolish as one is a really bad defender and the other (bledsoe) is a pesky defender but in no means a great one.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

13. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Like those bums Rajon Rondo and the young Jason Kidd. Except that:

14. VanillaGorilla

I wouldn't give up my starting SG and potential starting center for a backup point guard and an old wing. I wouldn't do that trade even if the pick weren't involved.

15. VanillaGorilla

Yeah I don't get it either. Bledsoe is 6'1", he can't play SG for any longer than Maynor should.

16. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    So let's go on playing Eric Maynor (who is not even an adequate defender) next to Lillard?

And don't get me started on the whole SG/PG thing. Who's the starting shooting guard for the Knicks? Raymond Felton? When the Warriors play Jarrett Jack and Stephen Curry together, as they do a lot, who's the SG? Oh that's right - IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER.

17. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    [​IMG]

18. VanillaGorilla

... Are you trying to say that he's a SG because he blocked Wade? Really reaching now, aren't ya?

19. VanillaGorilla

Yeah cause if we don't want Bledsoe for Matthews, Leonard, and the #10, the only other choice is to keep Maynor forever.

Just because two decent teams play two small guards together doesn't mean we should.

20. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    We have a starting sg who fits better then a small PG who can't shoot but has freakish athleticism. Getting bledsoe is just retarded if your point is to play him next to Lillard over mathews. If its not the plan then its even more ridiculous to trade or overpay for a backup that will get 25m a game off the hench.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2