Kyle Turley admits suicidal thoughts

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by truebluefan, May 2, 2013.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

Former NFL offensive lineman Kyle Turley told U-T San Diego that he is suffering from severe mental problems, and has considered suicide, as a result of multiple head injuries he sustained while playing football.

Turley, 37, officially was diagnosed with two concussions during his eight-year NFL career, according to the newspaper, but he believes he suffered many more that went undiagnosed.

He told the paper that there is no history of mental illness in his family, and acknowledged he takes medication to help curb his suicidal thoughts.

"No one in my family has ever gone crazy and killed themselves or thought about that. I have," Turley said during a phone interview with U-T San Diego. "It's not a thought that is fleeting. It's a thought that goes away when I'm on my medication, and the thought of doing a lot of crazy things as well and making unbelievable decisions."

Turley told the paper that the medication, Depakote, "stops me from doing a lot of things my brain wants me to do in destructive ways."

Turley appeared in 109 games with the New Orleans Saints, St. Louis Rams and Kansas City Chiefs and was a first-team All-Pro selection in 2000. He has agreed to have his brain donated to medical research after his death, and he also has donated money to the Gridiron Greats Assistance Fund, a non-profit corporation that provides financial assistance to retired NFL players.

Read more http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9...its-having-suicidal-thoughts-according-report