U.S., Canada reach quarterfinals

Discussion in 'Other Hockey' started by truebluefan, May 13, 2013.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The United States, Canada, Russia and Switzerland clinched quarterfinal berths at the hockey world championships Sunday.

The Americans beat Germany 3-0.

Bobby Butler and Paul Stastny scored within the first five minutes for the U.S., and Stephen Gionta put the game away midway through the third period. John Gibson finished with 30 saves.

Jeff Skinner scored the game-winner in the third period in Canada's 2-1 win over the Czech Republic.

Skinner went around the net for a wraparound goal against the Czechs. Wayne Simmonds gave Canada the lead in the first period before Petr Koukal tied it six minutes later.

Reigning champion Russia came back after two losses to beat Slovakia 3-1, and unbeaten Switzerland defeated Norway also by 3-1 to win its sixth game.

Gibson has allowed one goal in two games.

"The competition and the players here are great, so it's a big challenge," Gibson said. "But my teammates are making my job a lot easier. With the defense that we have, whenever there is a rebound they are always there to help me out."

Read more http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/...-clinch-spots-quarterfinals-ice-hockey-worlds