NFL legend Deacon Jones dies at 74

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by truebluefan, Jun 4, 2013.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

David "Deacon" Jones, the Hall of Fame defensive end credited with terming the word "sack" for how he knocked down quarterbacks, has died. The Washington Redskins said that Jones died of natural causes at his home in Southern California on Monday night. He was 74.

"Deacon Jones was one of the greatest players in NFL history. Off the field, he was a true giant," said Redskins general manager Bruce Allen, whose father, George, coached Jones with the Los Angeles Rams. "His passion and spirit will continue to inspire those who knew him. He was a cherished member of the Allen family and I will always consider him my big brother."

Because sacks didn't become an official statistic until 1982, Jones' total is uncertain. His impact as a premier pass rusher and team leader is not.

"Even with his fellow Hall of Famers, Deacon Jones held a special status. He was an icon among the icons," commissioner Roger Goodell tweeted Tuesday. "He is warmly regarded by his peers not only as one of the greatest players in history but also for his influence & sense of humor."

Jones was the leader of the Rams' Fearsome Foursome unit from 1961-71 and then played for San Diego for two seasons before finishing his career with the Redskins in 1974. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1980 and made the league's 75th anniversary all-time squad.

"Deacon Jones has been the most inspirational person in my football career," said former teammate and fellow Hall of Famer Jack Youngblood.

Read more http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9340299/hall-fame-de-deacon-jones-famed-fearsome-foursome-dead-74

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    I also loved the easy opening cans.

Funny and warm guy.