Sellers this year?

Discussion in 'Seattle Mariners' started by BrianFromWA, Jul 19, 2013.

1. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

There seems to be a lot of debate about whether or not the M's should be sellers at the deadline.

It seems like a no-brainer to me, with guys like Morse, Morales, Ibanez, Perez, etc. not in long-term plans. As Stone writes, there are considerations for Zduriencik and the M's themselves don't look like hard sellers.

Are the promise draft picks enough to hold onto Morse or Morales past July 31? There's just as big a chance that we have the both of them for 28M total next year as having two mid-to-late first round picks. Additionally, Ibanez probably has the biggest value (and probably to the Yankees), but what would he get in return?

I'm probably down for trading away Saunders and Perez. Morales will have to bring back a decent haul, but I like keeping Ibanez. He likes it here, he's a solid veteran presence in the clubhouse, he's productive and cheap, and if we're not getting a A-list prospect for him (I highly doubt it) then just stick him in the 4/5 hole 4-5 nights a week and let him mash.