Jerry Jones: NFL return to L.A. near

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by truebluefan, Jul 20, 2013.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Los Angeles is nearing 20 years without an NFL team, but Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones doesn't think the second biggest market in the country will be without an NFL team for long.

"Closer than ever -- ever being since they left, which has been a long time much to my surprise and anticipation," said Jones on Saturday, when asked if the NFL was close to returning to Los Angeles. "There are some viable ways for a team or teams to be in Los Angeles. We've got some very talented and very qualified people that want to be a part of it that are not a part of the league right now. We, obviously, have people within the league that want this very much."

Jones spoke before his Cowboys opened up training camp in Oxnard, Calif., a coastal city 60 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles. Since 2001, the Cowboys have held at least a portion of their training camp in Oxnard eight times. From 1963-1989, they held their training camp in Thousand Oaks, Calif., which is 45 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles.

Last year, Jones' son, Stephen, who sits on the NFL's stadium committee, said getting a team in Los Angeles was a top priority for the NFL and Jones said that has not changed.

"I think we're closer," Jones said. "I say that not just wishing. I say that, technically, because I'm aware of some things that make sense."

Read more http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/story/_/id/9495506/nfl-closer-ever-returning-la