Fan dies after fall at Turner Field

Discussion in 'National League East' started by truebluefan, Aug 13, 2013.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The mother of a Georgia man who died after falling from an upper-deck platform at Turner Field in Atlanta says her son was a lifelong Braves fan who followed the team through losing seasons as well as winning ones.

Ronald Lee Homer Jr., fell about 65 feet at Monday night's game between the Atlanta Braves and Philadelphia Phillies, which had been delayed for nearly two hours by heavy rain, authorities said.

Homer, 30, spoke with his mother Connie Homer by cellphone as he and other fans waited for the rain to let up. In that conversation, he said the rain was beginning to slack off and indicated he was preparing to go into the seating area for the game.

"He said 'I love you Mom,' and I said 'I love you, too' and that was it," his mother said in an interview with The Associated Press on Tuesday morning.

"He was big hearted, just a great guy, very respectful," she said. "It didn't matter if they were winning, losing or what -- he's been a Braves fan forever."

Read more http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9562364/fan-dies-fall-turner-field-platform