McMillan a "Good defensive coach"

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Eastoff, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

This is a bit off topic, but I've come into an argument with someone over here claiming McMillan was one of the BEST defensive coaches in the NBA. I disagree and he's losing it.

2. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

He was a really poor defensive schemer

3. Eastoff

I said his plan was to "scrap and stick to your man." and I think that ticked the guy off.

4. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

There is no evidence that Nate was a good defensive coach. There is plenty of evidence that he was a poor defensive coach.

5. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Nate was very good at getting defensive when discussing his team's defense.

6. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    In Nate's defense, how many really good defensive players has he had to work with in Portland? Batum, Wes, Crash, Przybilla and a few months of Oden. That's about it, isn't it? He was a little hamstrung by being forced to play Randolph and a gimpy Roy so many minutes, and of course all the young players who didn't know what the hell they were doing. And then there was that brutal injury-plagued season.

He was brought in as an assistant coach for the national team for defense in 2006, and was then brought back in 2008. He got the most out of defensively limited guys like Outlaw, Sergio, Blake and Dixon. Pendergraph and Cunningham are still in the league despite being drafted so low, and he had some part in their development. So he can't be a total fuckup.

I'm not here to say I want him back. I do think his defensive genius was highly overrated. But it's a little more complicated than just saying he sucked at coaching defense. He got a lot of players who were a combination of young, injured and/or indifferent to buy into the "scrap/hustle" shtick for a while. More than a lot of coaches could do. It doesn't make him a great defensive coach, and maybe not even a "good defensive coach," but I'd put him at least above average.

Eastoff likes this.
  7. Eastoff

Thank you.

8. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

Nate also had Ruben Patterson and Theo Ratliff, who played some pretty good defense on his teams, but I don't think this had much to do with coaching. They may have fit his style though. I think that Ime Udoka and Khryappa played much better defense than expected on his teams, and maybe that is due to Nate's influence.

It is kind of a chicken-egg thing though. We will never know whether these same players would have played better defense under a different coach. It's impossible to know. He certainly reduced possessions though, so it had the look of good defense on paper at times.

9. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Well here's the question....I think we can all agree that Nate wasn't an offensive type coach. So if his defense sucks so bad then why did players and coaches want him back coaching USA basketball? Now your going to tell me that you basketball knowledge is better than players like LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Carmelo Anthony? How about coaches like Gregg Popovich, Mike Krzyzewski and Mike D'Antoni? They all praised Nate for his defensive minded skills.

10. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Nate's defensive philosophy (heavily reliant on switching) only really works when you have superior athletes at every position who are capable of covering multiple positions. In the context of the Olympics, with a roster full of all-star caliber players (many with superior individual defensive skills) he was able to pull it off. Beyond that, his teams here were disorganized, soft, and lacked fundamentals. That's on Nate.

11. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

And this is really at the heart of the problem. Nate would not, could not, adjust his strategy in a timely manner (if at all). He was one of the most rigid coaches I've ever seen. His rotation sucked, he couldn't make adjustments from one game to the next, and he was incapable of seeing the big picture. This is what made him a bad head coach.

12. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    He used the word "defense" a lot more than Stotts does. He wanted players to will their way into playing defense. That was his system.

13. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

He was the Team USA defensive coach for 4 years.

14. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

A poor head coach who has made the playoffs 5 times, as opposed to Terry Stotts, who has made the playoffs once in 6 seasons as a head coach (for a 40-42 team), and lost 4-1 in that series 8 years ago.

15. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    A team known for being an offensive juggernaut...

16. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Who was the waterboy? He must be the best one in the NBA.

Who was the popcorn clerk? He must be the best one in the NBA.

Let's hire the whole Olympic staff. Why stop at McMillan? Paul Allen can afford Coach K, D'Antoni, the waterboy, and the popcorn popper.

17. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

He was way overrated. But I suppose if you ask other head coaches league wide like Gregg Popavich, they would say he was a 'helluva coach' who was hit with a stretch bad luck. A healthy Roy, Aldridge and Oden probably would have turned him into a genius on that side of the court. Even if offensively, they were lousy to look at.

18. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Ugh. Thanks for reminding me. Nate had no friggin idea how to use his players, other than Roy. Watching Andre Miller disregard McMillan and run that team was a thing of beauty, on the few occasions we got to see it. Remove McMillan and the injuries from that team, and let Miller run the show, and Miller would have turned Oden and LaMarcus into the most dominant twin towers in a decade, and we would have had a top three SG for the icing on the cake.

Christ. I'm going back to bed.

19. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Nice strawman. What does Stotts have to do with the fact Nate was a poor (and highly overrated) defensive coach? You do realize, he had a losing record while he was in Portland, both regular season and, of course playoffs, where he lost twice as many games as he won. His coaching in the playoffs was some of the worst I have ever seen. The guy stubbornly stuck to HIS game plan, even when it clearly wasn't working and was simply incapable of making in game, or even in series, adjustments.

BNM

20. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    That Phoenix series a couple years back made me want to throw a shoe through my TV at Sarge. Arrrghhh!