Nicolas Batum Suffers Ankle Sprain In Eurobasket Warmup

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Aug 19, 2013.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Eurobasket 2013, held this year in Slovenia, doesn't officially start until the beginning of September, but preparation games are already well underway all across Europe, meaning both Nicolas Batum (France) and Victor Claver (Spain) are busy getting work in with their respective national teams.

It also means they're at risk of injury. And according to Eurobasket's official website, Batum sustained a minor ankle sprain early in the second half of a 78-74 overtime victory against Serbia in Antibes, France on August 15. Batum finished with just three points in 17 minutes before leaving the game. The French struggled without Batum, as they Les Bleus needed two three-pointers from Tony Parker in the final 90 seconds of regulation to send the game to overtime.

While the sprain is reportedly not serious (a source says the injury is "no big deal") Batum did not play in France's 86-71 victory versus Georgia on August 17. Batum is expected to be ready to play before France begins the preliminary group stage against Germany on September 4, though it is not know if he will play in any of France's remaining friendlies.

Batum has had his share of injuries throughout his career. He battled a nagging right wrist injury for much of the 2012-13 season and missed the end of the season with soreness in his right shoulder. Batum had surgery to repair the labrum in his right shoulder in 2009. Despite the injuries, Batum has missed just 17 games over the last three season.

http://blogs.trailblazers.com/Broad...188/EntryID/5107/BroadcasterID/4/Default.aspx

2. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

Hmm I hope he is not rushing his time frame to come back.

3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I really hate how Euros want to have their cake and eat it too. If you want to play in the NBA, commit to the league. Don't over extend yourself playing in the NBA and overseas as well. I'm tired of Batum being hurt all the time and I'm sure it's due in large part to him not taking time off.

4. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Seriously, have to lol at this. Get your priorities aligned Nic.

5. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    So, are we against Dame playing for the US national team?

6. Natebishop3

Honestly? I am. I don't mind a training camp here and there, but his being healthy for the Portland Trail Blazers means more to me than him playing on another dream team.

7. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

I can't wait to read Mags' reaction to this!

8. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

There is nothing greater than representing your country.

9. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

[​IMG]

Apparently it's French, not Italian

10. Natebishop3

A championship for the Portland Trail Blazers means a hell of a lot more to me than another gold medal for the United States basketball team.

11. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

I’m fine with Blazer players playing internationally if they are really cautious with their minutes and health. I don’t want them playing strenuous minutes. I don’t want them playing with injuries that make them more susceptible to further injury. Wesley Mathews types of players concern me since he wants to be a tough hero he will fight through any injury and that leaves a player prone to a major setback. I’d rather see players have a Derrick Rose mindset.

With team USA; players are limited to lesser minutes since the team has legit talent at 12 roster spots. The team can win a game without any one single player, even LeBron. In those situations the experience gained is usually more valuable than the wear and tear or risk of injury. Players need to be playing basketball in the offseason; going from zero activity to full NBA activity is dangerous as well.

So I definitely hope to see Damian play for team USA. He won’t have the responsibilities Nic has. I’m not as interested in seeing Nic play in the Olympics as he is under a lot of pressure to play minutes and fulfill a role. If Nic is willing to be cautious like Rose and not reckless like Wesley than I can accept the risk; it could definitely provide benefits to his game.

12. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    This attitude is so fucking insular. It's a side-effect of having invented sports (esp. American "Football") that no other country gives a shit about, so the issue of international competition just doesn't come up. But to comfort yourselves, you call the championship "the world series". I wonder if Korfball teams in Holland do that. Somehow I doubt it.

I just can't imagine an MLS fan ever saying this.

13. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Remember when Przybilla ripped up his knee falling in the shower? Jesus Christ Joel - get your priorities straight! Is it cleanliness or your career you care about?

14. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Says a fan of a team that had Brandon Roy and Greg Oden on it.

15. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

What?

16. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

Looks like Batum homers have their excuse if Batum plays poorly to start the season.

17. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Yup - it's fine, and necessary, to be playing ball. But I don't think they should be playing at 100% effort. And I think that most players who play during the off-season probably only go 60-80%, unless it's the Olympics or a game that making the Olympics hinges upon.
    Injuries can happen at anytime, in any activity. As long as it's minor, no big deal. At least it wasn't something stupid like Monta Ellis trying and failing to ride a scooter! How embarrassing is that? Can't even ride a scooter?

18. Natebishop3

What? This has to do with the Portland Trail Blazers investing millions of dollars in a guy who can't stay healthy. This has nothing to do with some kind of invented superiority complex that you think all Americans have. The guy is being paid to play for the Portland Trail Blazers, and I look at his participation in European ball as no different than riding a motorcycle or sky diving or swimming with sharks. It's an unnecessary risk which could jeopardize his health for the upcoming NBA season. I get that you have a huge boner over Euro ball, but I'm a fan of my hometown team first and foremost.

19. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I definitely share your interest in the home team. If it were up to me no Blazer player would ever play in the Olympics or participate in All-Star weekend. But they are going to be playing ball during the off-season, as they should, and a minor ankle sprain is bound to happen. Could have happened just as easily if he was "training" rather than playing for his national team.
    As long as he's not going 100% playing for his national team, diving for loose balls, etc, then it's fine - he'd be playing in some format or another anyway.

20. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I am.