Thread: Man gets 30 days for rape of 14 year-old

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. TOP #1
    bluefrog has written some things that people like bluefrog has written some things that people like bluefrog's Avatar Go Blazers, GO!

Default Man gets 30 days for rape of 14 year-old

LINK

A Yellowstone County district judge Monday ordered a former Senior High teacher convicted of raping a 14-year-old female student who later committed suicide to spend 30 days in jail.

Judge G. Todd Baugh sentenced Stacey Dean Rambold to 15 years in prison, with all but 31 days suspended, for sexual intercourse without consent.

Rambold pleaded guilty to the single felony charge in April in a case that began in 2008, when school officials and police first learned of the sexual relationship between Rambold and the girl, Cherice Morales.

Rambold was placed on paid leave in April of that year and resigned from his teaching job three months later. He also surrendered his teaching certificate.

In October 2008, prosecutors charged Rambold with three counts of sexual intercourse without consent, alleging that the then-49-year-old man had an ongoing sexual relationship with Morales, who was 14 at the time.

While the case was pending, and a few weeks before her 17th birthday, Morales took her own life.

The mother of the deceased teen, Auliea Hanlon, earlier testified that the rapes were “a major factor” in her daughter’s suicide. She pleaded with Baugh to send Rambold to prison for a lengthy term.

Baugh said he listened to recorded statements given by Morales before her death and believes that while she was a troubled youth, she was "as much in control of the situation" as Rambold.

The judge also said Morales was "older than her chronological age."

The case also resulted in a $91,000 wrongful-death settlement between School District 2 and Morales' family, who filed a civil lawsuit against the district.

Rambold had been warned by school officials in 2004 to avoid touching or being alone with female students.
    I can't believe this guy got off so easy.

I had a coworker that got 7 years for video taping his step-daughter in the bathroom.
    Internet forums are the bathroom walls of society.

2. TOP #2
    BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET's Avatar Some Call me the Best in the Game

Default Re: Man gets 30 days for rape of 14 year-old

I am rarely outraged by liberal judges anymore with the stuff I see so often, but this one really got me.

That judge should be disbarred and removed. Then, the rapist should serve out his full term.

Anything less that that is also a true travesty.

3. TOP #3
    PtldPlatypus has several friends PtldPlatypus has several friends PtldPlatypus has several friends PtldPlatypus has several friends PtldPlatypus has several friends PtldPlatypus has several friends PtldPlatypus has several friends PtldPlatypus has several friends PtldPlatypus has several friends PtldPlatypus's Avatar Fan Reason Advocate

Rambold's attorney, Jay Lansing, argued Monday for the suspended sentence. He said Rambold lost his career, his marriage and his home and has suffered a "scarlet letter of the Internet" as a result of publicity about the case.
    Although I can't blame the attorney for doing his job, the idea that he had "suffered enough" for his crime--when the victim of the crime had subsequently committed suicide--is appalling to me. It's really hard for me not to wish ill of this person.

4. TOP #4
    crandc is making friends crandc is making friends crandc is making friends crandc is making friends crandc is making friends crandc is making friends crandc is making friends crandc's Avatar On the First Team

Not sure how you concluded the judge was a "liberal". Saying a rape victim was asking for it is not generally a position associated with liberalism. "She looked older" is the classic rationalization for child rape. And a 14 year old cannot have an "ongoing relationship" with a 49 year old. The actual wording should be "He repeatedly raped the young girl."

That "suffered enough" is another classic rationalization. We heard it in the Stubenville case when supposedly responsible media outlets like CNN reported that the rapists' lives were ruined by the conviction. In the ongoing Texas case where as many as 20 men raped an 11 year old girl (whom the New York Times reported, surprise!, "looked older") the news story reported the suspected rapists as "those poor boys" whose "would have to live with this [rape convictions] all their lives". And of course poor Jerry Sandusky's life and reputation were "ruined".

If you don't want your life ruined, don't rape children. Or adults.

If this was not bad enough, in 2004 this same teacher was charged with molestation and under order to not be alone with young women or girls.

5. TOP #5
    julius has several friends julius has several friends julius has several friends julius has several friends julius has several friends julius has several friends julius has several friends julius has several friends julius has several friends julius's Avatar I'm Luke Duke, Bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
    I am rarely outraged by liberal judges anymore with the stuff I see so often, but this one really got me.

That judge should be disbarred and removed. Then, the rapist should serve out his full term.

Anything less that that is also a true travesty.
    I don't know why "liberal" judge had to be thrown in there, since all kind of judges make these idiotic decisions (and some are far more complicated and predicated on plea bargains, and other stupid laws). It could be that this guy, along with the "conservative" judges, is just a big fucking tool. Not sure why, again, you brought up political leanings into the discussion.

A girl took her own life because of what this piece of shit did. The Judge, which we have no proof he is liberal or conservative (because BOTH sides of the political ideology bench make fucking idiotic court decisions) other than personal bias seeping in.

Ironically enough, if anything a liberal judge would side with the victim far more than the perp. Because remember, liberals always are looking to blame someone else. . .

All that said, this guy shouldn't be seeing the light of day for the rest of his life.
    I hate to admit it, so I'm not going to.

6. TOP #6
    Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man's Avatar Mr. SportsTwo

This judge needs to be arrested. And that poor rapist needs to be castrated

7. TOP #7
    julius has several friends julius has several friends julius has several friends julius has several friends julius has several friends julius has several friends julius has several friends julius has several friends julius has several friends julius's Avatar I'm Luke Duke, Bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mediocre Man View Post
    This judge needs to be arrested. And that poor rapist needs to be castrated
    to start with, yes.

8. TOP #8
    santeesioux is becoming well known santeesioux is becoming well known santeesioux is becoming well known santeesioux is becoming well known santeesioux is becoming well known santeesioux's Avatar Good Enough for my Own Shoe

I agree with MM.

9. TOP #9
    Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane's Avatar It's not even loaded!

The story isn't completely told here.

Apparently the prosecutors were throwing the book at the guy and he would have served 15 years or more. Then she took her own life and their star (only) witness was gone. They chose to plea bargain to 3 years of sex offender treatment program. The guy got thrown out of that program and this case went to court before the judge.

We're not going on the testimony before the court here, just the obvious notion that the rapist belongs in jail for an extended stay.

The girl may have consented (appears to be the case), it's not certain she took her life for any reason to do with this relationship, and the guy may have already been in custody for much of the 5 years between 2008 when the charges were first brought against him and today.

More complete details here:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/loca...9c0421dc1.html
    You hear the one about the fella who died, went to the pearly gates? St. Peter lets him in. Sees a guy in a suit making a closing argument. Says 'Who's that?' St. Peter says, 'Oh, that's God. Thinks he's Denny Crane.

When you say my name, say it like you really mean it!
    Check out my blog here
    R.I.P. MGB - you will be missed

10. TOP #10

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post

Apparently the prosecutors were throwing the book at the guy and he would have served 15 years or more. Then she took her own life and their star (only) witness was gone. They chose to plea bargain to 3 years of sex offender treatment program. The guy got thrown out of that program and this case went to court before the judge.

We're not going on the testimony before the court here, just the obvious notion that the rapist belongs in jail for an extended stay.

The girl may have consented (appears to be the case), it's not certain she took her life for any reason to do with this relationship, and the guy may have already been in custody for much of the 5 years between 2008 when the charges were first brought against him and today.

consenting or not, rape is rape.

er..I mean, damn that liberal judge!

11. TOP #11

Liberal reporter trying to make a conservative judge look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlprk View Post
    Sly swaggers around like John Wayne.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RA1N1AC View Post
    sly is han solo

12. TOP #12
    Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane's Avatar It's not even loaded!

Quote Originally Posted by julius View Post
    consenting or not, rape is rape.

er..I mean, damn that liberal judge!
    The real outrage is the guy wasn't fired from his teaching job.
    You hear the one about the fella who died, went to the pearly gates? St. Peter lets him in. Sees a guy in a suit making a closing argument. Says 'Who's that?' St. Peter says, 'Oh, that's God. Thinks he's Denny Crane.

Check out my blog here

13. TOP #13

I'm not standing up for the rapist. The judge is an idiot who failed to use the court's power of remedy to send the guy to prison. On the other hand, the prosecutors are idiots who granted away rights to prosecute on many charges.

Check out my blog here

14. TOP #14

The real outrage is the guy wasn't fired from his teaching job.
    Very true. I am in favor of unions, but it's decisions like this that really make it difficult to defend them.

I understand the need to certain protocols, for the defense against potential false accusations, but it seems that being asked to stay away from female students (if I understood it correctly) would be a good enough sign to not have him be around female students.

I don't know if it's the "real" outrage, as much as it's an outrage. To me, the fact he raped a child is a bigger outrage. The fact he was left in a position of power and authority should be addressed, no doubt. But I understand what your bigger overall point was.

15. TOP #15

Very true. I am in favor of unions, but it's decisions like this that really make it difficult to defend them.

I understand the need to certain protocols, for the defense against potential false accusations, but it seems that being asked to stay away from female students (if I understood it correctly) would be a good enough sign to not have him be around female students.

I don't know if it's the "real" outrage, as much as it's an outrage. To me, the fact he raped a child is a bigger outrage. The fact he was left in a position of power and authority should be addressed, no doubt. But I understand what your bigger overall point was.
    So fire the guy anyway and let the union sue to get the rapist's job back.

Check out my blog here

16. TOP #16
    Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man has several friends Mediocre Man's Avatar Mr. SportsTwo

Or spend .74 cents on a 44 magnum bullet and be done with it. Everyone wins

family gets justice
    taxpayers don't pay to "rehabilitate" him
    rapist doesn't have to live with his guilt

17. TOP #17

So fire the guy anyway and let the union sue to get the rapist's job back.
    Yep, that's why I said my second sentence.

18. TOP #18
    crandc is making friends crandc is making friends crandc is making friends crandc is making friends crandc is making friends crandc is making friends crandc is making friends crandc's Avatar On the First Team

Most, I think all, tenure positions include "morals" clauses as exceptions for which a person can be fired.

It's not that unusual for a young person to have a crush on a teacher or some other older person. A decent responsible human being respects it for what it is, a symptom of immaturity, treats the young person with kindness and courtesy, and she/he generally gets over the crush in a year or so. This is not a case of two teens, 14 and 17, getting together! There is simply too much gap in age, experience and power for a 14 year old to have a consenting relationship with his/her 49 year old teacher. And it seems to have been established that the repeated rapes were a major contributing factor to her suicide.

19. TOP #19

It's like the judge was listening to the Police the night before the sentencing.

Young teacher, the subject
    Of schoolgirl fantasy
    She wants him so badly
    Knows what she wants to be
    Inside her there's longing
    This girl's an open page
    Book marking - she's so close now
    This girl is half his age

Don't stand, don't stand so
    Don't stand so close to me

Her friends are so jealous
    You know how bad girls get
    Sometimes it's not so easy
    To be the teacher's pet
    Temptation, frustration
    So bad it makes him cry
    Wet bus stop, she's waiting
    His car is warm and dry

Loose talk in the classroom
    To hurt they try and try
    Strong words in the staffroom
    The accusations fly
    It's no use, he sees her
    He starts to shake and cough
    Just like the old man in
    That book by Nabokov

20. TOP #20

Quote Originally Posted by crandc View Post
    Most, I think all, tenure positions include "morals" clauses as exceptions for which a person can be fired.

It's not that unusual for a young person to have a crush on a teacher or some other older person. A decent responsible human being respects it for what it is, a symptom of immaturity, treats the young person with kindness and courtesy, and she/he generally gets over the crush in a year or so. This is not a case of two teens, 14 and 17, getting together! There is simply too much gap in age, experience and power for a 14 year old to have a consenting relationship with his/her 49 year old teacher. And it seems to have been established that the repeated rapes were a major contributing factor to her suicide.
    Read the link. The judge read and listened to the girl's testimony and found she was as much in control of the situation as he was.

The girl seems to have consented, regardless of the age difference. Any rape was statutory.

The only link between her relationship and her suicide is the argument her mother made to the judge. Unless there's a suicide note citing the reasons, the rest is speculation.

It looks like the guy is fulfilling he terms of the deal he made with prosecutors. His lawyer argued that switching sex offender programs did not rise to a newer and higher level of punishment. His argument was persuasive.

Check out my blog here

21. TOP #21
    MARIS61 is making friends MARIS61 is making friends MARIS61 is making friends MARIS61 is making friends MARIS61 is making friends MARIS61 is making friends MARIS61 is making friends MARIS61's Avatar Real American

Quote Originally Posted by Mediocre Man View Post
    Or spend .74 cents on a 44 magnum bullet and be done with it. Everyone wins

family gets justice
    taxpayers don't pay to "rehabilitate" him
    rapist doesn't have to live with his guilt
    2 bullets are needed to correct this injustice.
    I'm ALWAYS right and I NEVER lie. - George C. Tirebiter
    Life is tough, it's tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne
    You are responsible for your children until they are a credit to society. - Jovan Banjanin
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Yugoslavian proverb
    Melody is King. - Howard Roberts

Home Page:
    http://www.rogermarismuseum.com/

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of MARIS61, a fictional message board character created for my amusement, and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of any real person alive or deceased.

22. TOP #22

Quote Originally Posted by MARIS61 View Post
    2 bullets are needed to correct this injustice.
    One for the rapist, one for you?

Check out my blog here

23. TOP #23

I read the link, Denny. Did you read my post?

The JUDGE said the girl was in control. That is disputed. Are 14 year old students as in control as a 49 year old teacher?

The JUDGE said it was consensual. That is disputed. Can a child give consent to a person with power over her?

How do you know there was no suicide note? Or that the girl was not expressing a wish to kill herself? Rape victims nearly always say they wish the rapist had just killed them too. Throw in puberty and possible depression and it's hardly a reach.

He did not meet the terms. That's why the prosecutor asked for 20 years with 10 suspended.

Would you be saying this if it was a boy? Did you say this about Sandusky? I sure don't recall seeing it.

I have read enough rape apologies to give me diarrhea for the rest of my life. I know one when I see one. And I just knew that sooner or later someone here would post one.

24. TOP #24

Quote Originally Posted by crandc View Post
    I read the link, Denny. Did you read my post?

The JUDGE said the girl was in control. That is disputed. Are 14 year old students as in control as a 49 year old teacher?

The JUDGE said it was consensual. That is disputed. Can a child give consent to a person with power over her?

How do you know there was no suicide note? Or that the girl was not expressing a wish to kill herself? Rape victims nearly always say they wish the rapist had just killed them too. Throw in puberty and possible depression and it's hardly a reach.

He did not meet the terms. That's why the prosecutor asked for 20 years with 10 suspended.

Would you be saying this if it was a boy? Did you say this about Sandusky? I sure don't recall seeing it.

I have read enough rape apologies to give me diarrhea for the rest of my life. I know one when I see one. And I just knew that sooner or later someone here would post one.
    The judge listened to the girl's testimony that was recorded before her death. You didn't.

So why is your uninformed opinion worth more than his? (it isn't, sorry).

He did meet the terms of his agreement. 3 years of sex offender treatment. He's still undergoing it.

I make no apologies for the rapist. He is 49 she was 14, like you said. We have all these prosecutors and judges behaving like it wasn't forced rape. They know the facts better than you or I.

QUOTE:

But he was terminated from the program in November, when it was learned that he had been having unsupervised visits with minors and had not informed his counselors that he had been having sexual relations with a woman.

The violations were serious enough when taken together to kick Rambold out of the program, although it was learned that the minors Rambold was visiting were family members.

Rambold's attorney, Jay Lansing, argued Monday for the suspended sentence. He said Rambold lost his career, his marriage and his home and has suffered a "scarlet letter of the Internet" as a result of publicity about the case.

Rambold has since continued his treatment with a different program, Lansing said, and an evaluation found that he is a low risk to re-offend and could be treated in the community.

Rambold's criminal history includes only a traffic violation, but now he will be required to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life, the attorney said.

Lansing asked the judge to "consider how he's been punished to this point."

Baugh said he was not convinced that the reasons for Rambold's termination from treatment were serious enough to warrant the lengthy prison term suggested by the prosecution.

Baugh said he listened to recorded statements given by Morales before her death and believes that while she was a troubled youth, she was "as much in control of the situation" as Rambold.

The judge also said Morales was "older than her chronological age."

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/news/loca...#ixzz2dI9QHswI

Check out my blog here

25. TOP #25
    BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET is making friends BLAZER PROPHET's Avatar Some Call me the Best in the Game

I don't know why "liberal" judge had to be thrown in there...
    As someone who deals heavily with judges, it has been my near 100% experience that liberal judges give these types of rulings.

But what you and whatshername say is fair- I probably should have just left that part out. It really has no bearing in a way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information