Toronto to host 2016 NBA All-Star Game

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by speeds, Sep 24, 2013.

1. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/24/toronto-to-host-2016-nba-all-star-game

TORONTO - The basketball world is coming to Toronto in early 2016.

Multiple sources told the Toronto Sun Tuesday that the Raptors are on the verge of landing the 2016 NBA all-star weekend.

An official announcement is expected within a week that will reveal further details of how one of the sport’s biggest weekends will tie into Toronto’s 20th-anniversary season.

Tim Leiweke, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment president and CEO, made it clear upon taking over the company that landing the prestigious event was one of his early goals.

“Clearly the 2016 all-star game is a flag in the sand that we planted with the NBA. It is a must-have in my opinion and it will be the centrepiece of how we rebrand this,” Leiweke said in May.

He also has said that Raptors fans “deserve a little bit of positive news.”

Incoming NBA commissioner Adam Silver was in town earlier this month for MLSE Expo, a get-together of MLSE employees, but Leiweke told the Sun at the time that Silver wasn’t around to go over the all-star bid. He will take over from David Stern this February.

MLSE began the bidding process last February and Cleveland was considered the other serious contender for the event, which will be held in New Orleans this season.

2. BigVolcano

BigVolcano Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Fantastic news! Tim Liewke delivering

3. speeds

I guess if they wanted to get the fans into the game they could host it at the SkyDome. Not a great place for basketball but it is big enough to fit all the comps and actual fans like Cowboys Stadium was, and it is a 20th anniversary after all so why not do it where it all began? Everything else can be done at the ACC.

4. BigVolcano

That's not a bad idea actually. Its probably not ideal basketball location tho. wonder what the ticket prices will be like.

5. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

Pretty great for the city IMO. I'm 100% grabbing tickets, who knows when this will go down again.

As well, Drake as Global Ambassador ...Clearly a money move, however to give the Raps more of a global look with a respected social name attached is smart. Though I've spoke to a few people who seem to dislike the focus on marketing the brand of the Raptors more than improving the team. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

6. BigVolcano

Apparently, Raps are planning on changing the colours and brand (whatever that means) but not the name.

7. speeds

Seems pointless but I'll let them give it a whirl.

8. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

Am I one of the few who likes the name, 'Raptors'? I think it's good enough. What else really could the name of this team be without pure embarrassment from the media.

As well, there needs to be at least 1-2 Raps playing IN the All-Star game. Obviously dunk contest and the PG speed challenge.