Nash will not play for Team Canada

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by JoshBosh, Feb 20, 2007.

1. JoshBosh

JoshBosh BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Steve Nash won't play for Canada anymore because he said he is getting too old and too tired. Rasho Nesterovic is not much younger than Nash -- the 7-footer turns 31 on May 30 -- and also is experiencing fatigue from the long NBA season, but the Raptors centre re-iterated yesterday he would represent his country, Slovenia, at the 2008 Olympic qualifying tournament this summer in Spain. Unlike Nash, who took last summer off, Nesterovic played for his country at the 2006 world championships in Japan, before flying back to North America for NBA training camp, so he had very little time to recover from last season's NBA schedule. Nesterovic, who first represented Slovenia at the European under-22 championships, said he won't walk away from his national federation with an Olympic spot on the line -- which is something Nash has decided to do. "I just want to try the last time to get to the Olympics," Nesterovic said, after practice yesterday at the Air Canada Centre. "If we make it, I will play at the Olympics. If we don't make it, that's it for me." The Canadian team, which will compete at the Americas Olympic qualifier Aug. 22-Sept. 2 in Las Vegas, likely will be without both Canuck NBA players, Nash and Toronto native Jamaal Magloire, who has always found an excuse not to represent his country. Even the Raptors two Spaniards -- Jose Calderon and Jorge Garbajosa -- plan to take part in the Olympic qualifying tournament this summer and the Spanish team doesn't even have to qualify for the 2008 Olympics, having already done that by winning last summer's world championships. The Raptors scheduled a late practice yesterday, the day after the NBA all-star weekend, to allow all the players the day to return from their various destinations. Everybody made it back in time for practice except for rookie P.J. Tucker, who had a flight cancellation. Chris Bosh, who started for the Eastern Conference team at the all-star game, admitted he was tired after travelling back from Las Vegas on the red eye. "I'm a little worn down," he said. The all-star break couldn't have come at a worse time for the Atlantic Division-leading Raptors, who are 16-5 in their past 21 games. But head coach Sam Mitchell said, despite their recent success, the break was a good thing. "Our guys needed it, you need a mental break, I needed it," Mitchell said. "We were playing well, but, you know what, all the teams got the same break and now everybody has to rev the engines back up and get it back going." Mitchell refused to bite when asked if his team needed some "tweaking" with the final playoff push underway, beginning with the visiting Cleveland Cavaliers at the ACC tomorrow, and the trade deadline on Thursday at 3 p.m. But he does want his 29-24 squad to show improvement in some areas. "We do have to get better defensively and we do have to get better rebounding," he said.</div>http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Basketball/NBA/T...647895-sun.htmlGood for Rasho to represent Slovenia in the olympics... I wonder why Nash and Magloire doesn't wanna represent Canada. :no1:

2. Dmoney

Dmoney BBW Elite Member

They probably want some time off, I mean nash isen't getting any younger.

3. abc

abc BBW Member

Rawr. Is it just me, or would I rather represent my country then do nothing? Who cares if you're tired. I would rather win a gold metal then an NBA championship. Whatever, excuses excuses.

4. ballerman2112

ballerman2112 BBW Elite Member

Ehhh....I can understand where he is coming from. He is getting old and he needs to perserve his body for the NBA. That is the league that is paying him, and he needs to devote all of his time and effort to it. I cant blame him that much....Although, it would be a nice gesture. I dont understand why Magloire doesn't....He could use the playing time.

5. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

I understand where he's coming from also. He's old, and he needs the off-season to rest, so he can be fully productive once the regular season comes.

6. l2owen

l2owen BBW Member

there is also a big risk for nash to take part in these games. if he gets injured and cant play thats going to make a huge impact on his nba career . that will hurt the phoenix suns as an organization. theres also issues of durability and steve going full throttle all the time, he needs time to recoup. playing in the summer and not allowing the body to rest would only increase his chances of getting injured either during the summer competition or the regular nba season . for steve nash an injury in these games could have far greater implications for the suns organization in general .

7. MosDefinitely

MosDefinitely Member

I think Nash has paid his dues to Canada already.... I cant really ask more of him then what he already did. Maglorie on the other hand is a mystery, he calls Toronoto home but yet refuses to play for team Canada and whats worse is that he doesn't even give an explaination.

8. Roaming

Roaming Back In Black! erm...in Colour!

I think he understands that he needs one ring before he retires in the next 5 years and I believe he knows he wont win it in his 4th, 5th year. Despite all this, Nash is one of the best conditioned players in the NBA imo, and just fatigue is getting to him. As you can see, he is really working hard with this Phoenix Suns team, and there is only so much gas left in his tank.

9. junot111

junot111 BBW Elite Member

first of all, I think it would be an honor to represent my country especially if I bailed out on them last year.second, they keep saying nash is getting better as he gets older he has better stats and everything so this is pure bull(its just an excuse nash is making)third, this is why I hate nash. I dont know why so many canadians are like proud of him. he doesn't even wanna play for his own country(its not like his country is usa with all these good players that they dont need him)I like magloire but I think he probably doesn't even wanna be a canadianbut still, this is such a good oppurtunity to play. if they were from the united states they prob might not even get invited.I wonder if samuel dalembert is going to participate

10. Nam

Nam BBW Member

dalembert wont participate

11. ASUFan22

ASUFan22 BBW Global Mod Team

Nash has his spinal issues. He needs the rest in the off-season to be effective during the regular season. I'm glad he isn't going to play.

12. HoNgKoNgKoBe

HoNgKoNgKoBe BBW Elite Member

The NBA season is more important to Nash then qualifying for the Olympics. But then Nash does have his back problems throughout his career. As for Dalembert. He can feel the void of Magloire, but it shows us he doesn't want to play for team Canada even though he says he wants to. Like Leo said, he'n not finishing up the forms to be on the team.

13. abc

abc BBW Member

Whats your point? Whats more important. Canada or the Suns?

14. HoNgKoNgKoBe

HoNgKoNgKoBe BBW Elite Member

im saying that to him the Suns are more important to him right now until he can finally win a ring. But if I was Nash I would go for team Canada. Its always good to represent your own country and feel proud about it. Plus he needs to rest his bad back as well over the offseason then putting a lot of pressure on it during the games for Team Canada on how he would push very hard. But then if Nash does what he does for the Suns we could be amazing.

15. ASUFan22

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cb4fan @ Feb 20 2007, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Whats your point? Whats more important. Canada or the Suns?</div>The professional team in the best league in the world. His JOB... The NBA is more important to every player than their national team.

16. MiﮒFi??

MiﮒFi?? BBW Elite Member

Nash player Soccer in a league in the summer time by the way... is he resting that much?

17. ASUFan22

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiﮒFi?? @ Feb 20 2007, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Nash player Soccer in a league in the summer time by the way... is he resting that much?</div>He played a little bit to stay in shape. It's not like any of the players turn into couch potatoes to rest injuries. Not playing for the national team is a good idea. A break from extra basketball is good.

18. Roaming

Roaming Back In Black! erm...in Colour!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASUFan22 @ Feb 20 2007, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The professional team in the best league in the world. His JOB... The NBA is more important to every player than their national team.</div>Yeah hes right, Nash wont quit without a ring, and frankly, you are seriously wasting a ton of years of hard work by Colangelo, D'Antoni, in developing players like Marion, Diaw, Bell, Nash, Barbosa, into superstar caliber. Espicially Marion, Diaw, Bell, and Barbosa, they came out of nowhere. This franchise put a lot of money and effort into getting this 8 man rotation, to have Nash retire/here deappreciate in terms of skill level, is just a waste. Team Canada, on the other hand, does not need a FIBA championship anytime soon.

19. ASUFan22

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASUFan22 @ Feb 20 2007, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>He played a little bit to stay in shape. It's not like any of the players turn into couch potatoes to rest injuries. Not playing for the national team is a good idea. A break from extra basketball is good.</div>Trying to put it in better words. Every player goes on the treadmill and does workouts to stay in shape during the off-season. Soccer was just a more fun way to do so. The national team with all the traveling, playing heavy minutes in games trying to carry the team...it all just makes it seem like a year-round season and it's more work than he should be doing during the off-season.

20. Something-To-Say

Something-To-Say BBW Banned

I can't believe you asked 'who's more important, canada or the suns?'. WOW. Obviously the Suns are. Hell, I didn't even know canada even HAD a national team. The Suns are CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDERS. I know the 2 C's aren't familiar to you Raptor fans since your last playoff run was led by the guy you all turned on(for fair enough reason, I guess).We really have to ask ourselves, "Who in the NBA with a legit career WOULD play for 'team canada'?"(obviously I'm acting like the whole NBA was canadian). Maybe Dirk or Pau, but that's it.