Andrew Bogut, Warriors talk deal

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by truebluefan, Oct 16, 2013.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Center Andrew Bogut and the Golden State Warriors have begun negotiations on a contract extension, the big man told NBA.com.

Bogut, who is scheduled to become a free agent in July, told the website that agent David Bauman and the Warriors began discussions last week and that neither side wants the issue to carry far into the regular season. He said he expects to sign a contract extension soon or become a free agent. The Warriors open the regular season Oct. 30.

The Warriors' opening offer wasn't "insulting," Bogut told NBA.com. "But [the numbers] weren't what I'm looking for. Nothing concrete has been actually formally written up. We've just been going back and forth, but nothing too crazy."

Bogut -- who missed 50 of 82 games with ankle, back and knee injuries during the 2012-13 season -- also said he would agree to games-played incentives.

Read more http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9...arriors-begin-contract-extension-talks-report

2. WarriorFan

WarriorFan Active Member

Bogut has to leave this morning's game with back spasms. Hopefully it's not too serious and it pushed him to sign a 3/30 deal with maybe another 2/year for playing 60 games.

I would think both sides would be happy with that. If they don't get him signed now, with the curry/injury discount, replacing him would easily cost 14 or 16/year and probably cost them Thompson in a couple years.

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Tim Kawakami had a good article stating why he thinks the magic number for Bogut is 12 mil/year. Thats largely based on comparable C extensions from the last couple of years. I don't think Bogut would settle for less unless no one offered it to him in free agency (unlikely). Good news is he said he'd agree to a deal with incentives based on games played, I could live with that if the full value of the contract (incentives included) averaged at 12/year.

That said, I still want to wait out the season. Lets see if Bogut misses games or not. Could he get a lot on the open market? If he has another injury riddled season its hard to see another team doling out a big, long term contract on a chronically, injured going-on-30 year old, 7 footer. I think even if he plays games through injury teams are going to know that before signing him. The Warriors will leak it, and any suitor will do their homework on him before dropping big money on such a big risk. It is a dangerous game though because it just takes that one team to offer him big money. I'm a bit torn because I think he was our second best player in the playoffs and he's a big part of the team, but hes also old and not going to last more than what, maybe 3 more years? If he gets a deal at 14/year for more than two years maybe we can just arrange a S&T and start looking at other options.

Also keep in mind that as it is we will have 8 million in cap room next summer. Our front office is creative and dilligent, maybe they see other options via free agency or trade. Maybe that 8 million could become more with some cap dumps. IMO its valuable to keep that cap space open and keep your options open. You never know who could become available. I love Bogs, he might be my favorite player, but if you can get another great piece that is significantly younger and more durable you gotta do it. Perhaps this changes if they look like legit contenders.