This is so wrong.

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Nov 5, 2013.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

This 4 On Your Side investigation looks into the actions of police officers and doctors in Southern New Mexico.

A review of medical records, police reports and a federal lawsuit show deputies with the Hidalgo County Sheriff's Office, police officers with the City of Deming and medical professionals at the Gila Regional Medical Center made some questionable decisions.

The incident began January 2, 2013 after David Eckert finished shopping at the Wal-Mart in Deming. According to a federal lawsuit, Eckert didn't make a complete stop at a stop sign coming out of the parking lot and was immediately stopped by law enforcement.

Eckert's attorney, Shannon Kennedy, said in an interview with KOB that after law enforcement asked him to step out of the vehicle, he appeared to be clenching his buttocks. Law enforcement thought that was probable cause to suspect that Eckert was hiding narcotics in his anal cavity. While officers detained Eckert, they secured a search warrant from a judge that allowed for an anal cavity search.

The lawsuit claims that Deming Police tried taking Eckert to an emergency room in Deming, but a doctor there refused to perform the anal cavity search citing it was "unethical."
    But physicians at the Gila Regional Medical Center in Silver City agreed to perform the procedure and a few hours later, Eckert was admitted.

What Happened

While there, Eckert was subjected to repeated and humiliating forced medical procedures. A review of Eckert's medical records, which he released to KOB, and details in the lawsuit show the following happened:

1. Eckert's abdominal area was x-rayed; no narcotics were found.
    2. Doctors then performed an exam of Eckert's anus with their fingers; no narcotics were found.
    3. Doctors performed a second exam of Eckert's anus with their fingers; no narcotics were found.
    4. Doctors penetrated Eckert's anus to insert an enema. Eckert was forced to defecate in front of doctors and police officers. Eckert watched as doctors searched his stool. No narcotics were found.
    5. Doctors penetrated Eckert's anus to insert an enema a second time. Eckert was forced to defecate in front of doctors and police officers. Eckert watched as doctors searched his stool. No narcotics were found.
    6. Doctors penetrated Eckert's anus to insert an enema a third time. Eckert was forced to defecate in front of doctors and police officers. Eckert watched as doctors searched his stool. No narcotics were found.
    7. Doctors then x-rayed Eckert again; no narcotics were found.
    8. Doctors prepared Eckert for surgery, sedated him, and then performed a colonoscopy where a scope with a camera was inserted into Eckert's anus, rectum, colon, and large intestines. No narcotics were found.

Throughout this ordeal, Eckert protested and never gave doctors at the Gila Regional Medical Center consent to perform any of these medical procedures.

"If the officers in Hidalgo County and the City of Deming are seeking warrants for anal cavity searches based on how they're standing and the warrant allows doctors at the Gila Hospital of Horrors to go in and do enemas and colonoscopies without consent, then anyone can be seized and that's why the public needs to know about this," Kennedy said.

Search Warrant Concerns

There are major concerns about the way the search warrant was carried out. Kennedy argues that the search warrant was overly broad and lacked probable cause. But beyond that, the warrant was only valid in Luna County, where Deming is located. The Gila Regional Medical Center is in Grant County. That means all of the medical procedures were performed illegally and the doctors who performed the procedures did so with no legal basis and no consent from the patient.

In addition, even if the search warrant was executed in the correct New Mexico county, the warrant expired at 10 p.m. Medical records show the prepping for the colonoscopy started at 1 a.m. the following day, three hours after the warrant expired.

"This is like something out of a science fiction film, anal probing by government officials and public employees," Kennedy said.

No Comment

KOB reached out to the attorneys representing the defendants in the lawsuit and all declined to comment on the situation. The attorneys said it's their personal policy not comment on pending litigation.

4 On Your Side Investigative Reporter Chris Ramirez cornered Deming Police Chief Brandon Gigante.

"As the police chief what reassurances could you give people when they come through your town that they won't be violated or abused by your police officers?" Ramirez asked Chief Gigante.

"We follow the law in every aspect and we follow policies and protocols that we have in place," Chief Gigante replied.

"Do you think those officers in this particular case did that?" Ramirez asked.

Gigante didn't answer, instead he referred Ramirez to his attorney.

The Lawsuit

David Eckert is suing The City of Deming and Deming Police Officers Bobby Orosco, Robert Chavez and Officer Hernandez.

Eckert is also suing Hidalgo County Hidalgo County Deputies David Arredondo, Robert Rodriguez and Patrick Green.

Eckert is also suing Deputy District Attorney Daniel Dougherty and the Gila Regional Medical Center including Robert Wilcox, M.D and Okay Odocha, M.D.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S3209305.shtml?cat=500#.UnnALz8UaNH

2. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Obviously he should have made a full stop. What other outcome was he expecting?

barfo

3. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Hispanic Cops Causin' Panic

4. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

Qt SPD

The incident began January 2, 2013 after David Eckert finished shopping at the Wal-Mart in Deming. According to a federal lawsuit, Eckert didn't make a complete stop at a stop sign coming out of the parking lot and was immediately stopped by law enforcement.

see what happens when you shop at Walmart

5. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Boy, I sure would hate to be a police officer. It's so tough to make these decisions about forced surgery. They get all my sympathy.

A cop was killed a thousand miles away the next week, defending you and me. This shows that that we should support the cops who forced the anal surgery.

6. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    He got all that free? Did Obamacare pay for it?

7. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    I hope they at least let him know if his prostrate was enlarged.

8. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    Sort of. He was on the Bronze Plan.

9. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    So, HCP leaves S2, and the same day a bunch of hispanic cops butt-diddle some dude who ran a stop sign.

Coincidence? I think not...

10. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

Secretly, this dude is licking his chops. He has a lottery ticket he's sitting on, and he just has to wait for the legal process to play out before he can cash it. I assume dude is about to get paid some serious cash money. The police officers and medical staff acted so egregiously, they need to now reciprocate by bending over and taking it just as Eckert did and give the man his cash. Surprised the police and hospital haven't settled with Eckert already. Instead, they're both going to have to pay out AND get smeared in the media.

11. bluefrog

bluefrog Go Blazers, GO!

Programmer
  12. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Ha! Just what I was thinking. Then I discovered, not covered, no preexisting condition could be found. The poor smuck is on his own with no heart strings to tug.

13. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Prophet
    I hope they at least let him know if his prostrate was enlarged.

They probably want payment for that info.

14. BLAZINGGIANTS

The only positive I can find in all of this is that the dude probably had a colon as clean as baby's after his date with police/doctors. For that, he should be grateful.

15. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd be damned pleased to know that my police dept. paid a couple million dollars settlement out of my tax money because they were idiots. I'm guessing Kennedy isn't a Latino.

Go Blazers

16. BLAZINGGIANTS

Maybe I missed it, but I don't understand why they made him get out of the car in the first place. There has to be more to this. Why would they make him get out of the car for a minor traffic infraction?

17. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known Member

Driving while non-Hispanic?

Go Blazers

18. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Actually he didn't.... the clinic is supposedly trying to bill him for it.

19. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

What instantaneous decision did these officers have to make?

Whuh?? You make no sense.

20. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

They went to greater lengths to find these narcotics than the CIA did to find WMD's in Iraq. I guess they should be commended?