LOL! Freeland and Babbitt got into a fight last season

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Dec 9, 2013.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

SALT LAKE CITY – Has Joel Freeland toughened up this year? It appears he has from a production standpoint, however his teammates maintain he’s the same ol’ Joel.

“Joel is probably the toughest European player that I’ve played against,” LaMarcus Aldridge told CSNNW.com. “I never questioned his toughness at all. He’s just getting a chance to show it now.”

As a member of last year’s Portland team that featured one of the worst benches in NBA history, Freeland, who struggled with the speed of the game and was unable to crack the rotation.

That’s not an encouraging sign considering the team bolstered its reserve unit over the summer.

A couple of problems Freeland grappled with last year: his shot was constantly batted away in the paint, he was often pushed out of position on the defensive end and quite frankly, he wasn’t feared. He wasn’t feared by his opponents and apparently, he wasn’t feared by one of his former teammates.

That would change, however.

On March 20 in Chicago last season, Portland was practicing the day before they squared off against the Chicago Bulls at the United Center and things got a little heated.
    Freeland and former Trail Blazer Luke Babbitt got into a scuffle.

According to some onlookers, Babbitt was repeatedly fighting through screens using his elbows. After being struck a couple of times already, Freeland warned Babbitt in a not so friendly way that that would be his last elbow.

A play later, Babbitt did it again, resulting in a physical altercation. According to an eyewitness, a fired-up Freeland literally picked up Babbitt and threw him to the ground. The two eventually ended up on the floor exchanging blows before teammates intervened and separated them.

It was made clear on that day: Freeland was not to be disrespected.

“Yeah, you don’t want to mess with Joel,” Aldridge said while shaking his head left to right.

The tough, rugged Joel Freeland we are witnessing today might have derived from that very practice session squabble in Chicago. Freeland says he wouldn’t go that far, but he acknowledged it could have been a turning point from a mindset point of view.

“You can’t back down to anyone in this league,” Freeland told CSNNW.com. “That’s the way I’ve been always brought up and that’s the way I’ve always lived. It wasn’t so much anything to do with that incident, but you stand up for yourself.

“I’ve always played the same way but maybe I wasn’t being as a aggressive as I should have. I’ve always played tough. I’ve never shied away from contact. I wouldn’t put it down to that one incident but I’m just getting comfortable in my place.”

And the league is seeing that his place isn’t to be violated.

Freeland’s summer regime is well-documented on how he transformed his body in order to have a chance at playing when it mattered for this Portland Trail Blazers’ squad. But he also got back to being an enforcer on the court, a trait he carried well while playing in the Euro League.

The scuffle with Babbitt simply reminded him that he needed to get back to being himself.

“I’m not trying to come into the league and suddenly think I’m a tough,” he said. “I’m just getting back to playing how I like to play.”

And just to make one thing clear: Freeland isn’t some type of loose cannon looking for trouble. He’s on the edge, but it’s controlled.

For example, when Golden State’s Andrew Bogut threw an elbow to Freeland’s chest in a November game, Freeland did not react, figuring Bogut would be the one getting tossed, thus hurting the Warriors chances of winning that game.

It was a mature, veteran move. Unfortunately the referees didn’t see it fit to throw Bogut out. That’s not the point, though.

As the backup center with his combination of smarts, new-found athleticism, defensive awareness and renewed role as an enforcer, Freeland is finally comfortable in the NBA. And all it took was possibly a fight to get him going.

“I know how to stay under control when I need to,” Freeland said. “A game is one thing but if something like that happened somewhere else, it’s another situation. I’m just being myself and I play better that way.”

http://www.csnnw.com/blazers/freelands-fight-babbitt-may-have-helped-him-turn-corner

2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Freeland is quickly becoming one of my favorite players.

3. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I love me some freeland! He's a fearless player and is ready to get in ones face for playing dirty. He's a keeper

4. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I'm not sure beating up Babbitt makes you tough. Pretty hilarious though.

5. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

If anyone can find the march 21st game and see if they got any boo-boo's... :lol:

6. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Maybe this explains why Leonard is always flinching and shrinking from contact. Meyers not only witnessed Freeland assaulting Babbitt, he is likely being bullied by his big 'brother' Joel. Freeland is terrorizing him in practice, and he's reflexively backing off on the court. Meyers is going to need years of therapy after this.

7. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Haynes implies Freeland was bad last year because of toughness. Actually, he was always too slow to be in the play, so he had no chance to display eiither softness or toughness. Then Haynes says Freeland wasn't tough till the Babbitt tiff, which makes no sense, since Freeland must have already been tough to start the skirmish.

Denying both logic and Freeland's disagreeing, Haynes repeats it at the end, so that his article will have a satisfying, emotional finish.

8. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

The mental image of Joel literally picking up Babbitt and throwing him to the ground is hilarious.

I'm sure I'm exaggerating, but I imagine Joel picking up Babbitt and hoisting him over his head before heaving him to the ground.

9. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

When I was 19 I got the opportunity to spend six months abroad. 5 months in France and a month in Scotland with some extended family. All I can say is that it was my experience that a fuck-ton of people that live on that Island will get into a fistfight over just about anything ... granted guns are almost unheard of, so people aren't as fearful of getting shot if things escalate.

Anyway, can't say I'm shocked Freeland went at it with Babbitt, he looked like he was game for the same kind of thing with Bogut last month too, his body language made it clear there's a pretty good chance he's a "likes to fight" guy.

10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Now I wish Freeland would have picked Bogut up and thrown him to the ground.

11. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

This is reminding me of the Bogut injury... so I'm kinda glad he didn't.

12. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
  13. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Maybe he could take a tip from Joel Sr and take up boxing or some sort of fighting as part of his training in the offseason? Certainly having the extra confidence you can handle yourself if it comes to that wouldn't hurt the game of any inside banger type player

STOMP

14. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

15. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

16. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Babbitt? Seriously?

Try Yao Ming on for size. That's toughness.

[video=youtube;bTuojB41iU8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTuojB41iU8[/video]

17. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

18. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    To be fair, who among us didn't want to, after watching him "play" basketball last year, pick Babbitt up by the throat and slam him down onto the ground?

19. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I think that's why I approve of this story so much. Joel just did what had to be done.

Team player.

20. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Seriously?