ESPN's Top 10 C's of all Time

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by Roaming, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Roaming

Roaming Back In Black! erm...in Colour!

Re: ESPN's Top 10 C's of all Time

Must read, very nice articlehttp://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?pa...GreatestCentersI like there rankings, I stil think Wilt Chamberlain deserves more recognition, and I quote:<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Teams: Philadelphia Warriors (1959-1962), San Francisco Warriors (1962-1965), Philadelphia 76ers (1965-1968), Los Angeles Lakers (1968-1973)Titles: 2 (1967, 1972)Honors: 13-time All-Star, 4-time MVP (1960, 1966, 1967, 1968); Finals MVP (1972), Rookie of the Year (1960), Hall of Fame The player: Dominating. Unstoppable. Shaq before there was Shaq. The league changed the rules because of Chamberlain. He was an exceptional athlete (he high-jumped 6'6" in high school) and the most iconic player of his era. He accumulated statistics like no one else ever has: leading the league in scoring his first seven years, rebounds 11 times, and even assists once. In 1968, Wilt the Stilt averaged 24.3 points, 23.8 rebounds and 8.3 assists per game.He didn't win as many titles as Bill Russell -- Wilt won two -- but he rarely had a supporting cast comprised of All-Stars.Numbers like 100 and 20,000 will forever be linked to The Big Dipper. But his most unbreakable record? When he averaged 48.5 minutes for the 1961-62 season.</div>Thats what f*cking amazes me, say what you want, but to do that and averaged freaking 48 minutes a game, is wow, I dont care who you are playing, thats an achievement.

2. yankshater213

yankshater213 BBW Elite Member

Look at the voting for the top ten. It's ridiculous. John Hollinger voted Russell a 4, while another guy gave him a 4 and another gave him a 5. That's absolutely ridiculous. Also anyone else see Dwight Howard got a vote [​IMG]

3. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

1. Chamberlain2. Bill Russell3. Kareem4. Shaq5. Hakeem6. Moses Malone7. David Robinson8. Patrick Ewing9. Bill Walton10. George Mikan

4. Something-To-Say

Something-To-Say BBW Banned

And I have Wilt in the draft [​IMG] And you guys say my team sucks.

5. SunnyD

SunnyD Sexiest Poster Alive (Yessir)

Walton above David Robinson is blasphemy.

6. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Something-To-Say @ Mar 8 2007, 06:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>And I have Wilt in the draft [​IMG] And you guys say my team sucks.</div>yeah, but nobody is going to give you credit for a pick that anybody in your position would have made. That's not a steal, just a logical pick. If greg oden is picked #1 in the upcoming draft, and Durant #2, they won't be percieved as steals.Not to mention that your team past that pick really sucks

7. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

Over the years, I've realized that ranking these players is a waste of time. They are all great, they played in different times when the game was changing....Instead of ranking them I just have a category, called 'Great'.

8. Michael Bryant

Michael Bryant BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Walton above David Robinson is blasphemy.</div>No way man, when Walton was healthy, he was one of the 4 greatest centers to ever play. The unfourtunate part though, was that 80% of his career, he was injured.And why is Kareem ahead of Wilt? Wilt used to eat Kareem for breakfast! Or, am I the only person who watched basketball in the early 70's?

9. Roaming

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Michael Bryant @ Mar 8 2007, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>No way man, when Walton was healthy, he was one of the 4 greatest centers to ever play. The unfourtunate part though, was that 80% of his career, he was injured.And why is Kareem ahead of Wilt? Wilt used to eat Kareem for breakfast! Or, am I the only person who watched basketball in the early 70's?</div>You watched basketball in the early 70's? Thats pretty cool your like 50. Dont tell me you watched videos of basketball back then and tell me you watched basketball in the early 70's.

10. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Michael Bryant @ Mar 8 2007, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>No way man, when Walton was healthy, he was one of the 4 greatest centers to ever play. The unfourtunate part though, was that 80% of his career, he was injured.And why is Kareem ahead of Wilt? Wilt used to eat Kareem for breakfast! Or, am I the only person who watched basketball in the early 70's?</div>Which is exactly why I would also put Robinson over him. I realize that he was an exceptional defender, and a good passer too. He led the Blazers to a championship also, but his career was tainted because of all of those injury problems.

11. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>And why is Kareem ahead of Wilt? Wilt used to eat Kareem for breakfast! Or, am I the only person who watched basketball in the early 70's?</div>Except for the fact that Kareem dominated Wilt every time they played.In their first eleven meetings wilt sort of kept up with kareem, averaging 3 points less and 2 rebounds more. But past that point it was all Kareem.In the 1971 season, not only did kareem dominate wilt in the playoffs but his team beat wilt's team 4-1 en route to a championship.In the 1972 season, Kareem averaged over 40 points per game in his five matchups against wilt whereas wilt only scored 14 points per game against kareem. Doesn't exactly sound like eating kareem for breakfast. In that year's playoffs, Kareem averaged 34 points per game against wilt whereas Wilt averaged 11 against Kareem. Wilt really dominated him.

12. ballerman2112

ballerman2112 BBW Elite Member

This should be the list right here....1. Wilt Chamberlian2. Bill Russell3. Shaquille O'Neal4. Kareem Abdul Jabar5. Hakeem Olojuwan6. Moses Malone7. David Robinson8. Patrick Ewing9. George Mikan10. Bill Walton

13. SirLaker

SirLaker BBW MOD

My list:1. Kareem Abdul Jabar2. Bill Russell3. Wilt Chamberlian4. Shaquille O'Neal5. Hakeem Olojuwan6. Moses Malone7. David Robinson8. Patrick Ewing9. George Mikan10. Bill Walton

14. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ballerman2112 @ Mar 11 2007, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>This should be the list right here....1. Wilt Chamberlian2. Bill Russell3. Shaquille O'Neal4. Kareem Abdul Jabar5. Hakeem Olojuwan6. Moses Malone7. David Robinson8. Patrick Ewing9. George Mikan10. Bill Walton</div>Shaq before Kareem? L-O-L

15. Something-To-Say

Something-To-Say BBW Banned

Out of those 10, the rank would be:1. Wilt Chamberlain2. Lew Alcindor3. Bill Russell4. Hakeem Olajuwon5. Shaquille O'Neal6. Moses Malone7. David Robinson8. George Mikan9. Patrick Ewing10. Bill Walton<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tHe_pEsTiLeNcE @ Mar 11 2007, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Shaq before Kareem? L-O-L</div>I snickered at that too.

16. ballerman2112

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tHe_pEsTiLeNcE @ Mar 11 2007, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Shaq before Kareem? L-O-L</div>Shaq was and is so much more of a dominant player than Kareem. Nobody EVER could stop Shaq single handedly in the low block. He could overpower anybody in NBA history...Incuding Bill Russel and Wilt Chamberlain. In fact, if Russel and Chamberlains stat line wasnt so impressive, I would put Shaq as the best center of all time. When Chamberlain played, he was going up against alot of 6 foot 8 centers who weighed 220 pounds, and the same with Russell and Kareem. Shaq was triple teamed by whoever he faced and he still managed to dominate whoever he played agaisnt. He is the most dominant force in NBA history. period.

17. Roaming

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ballerman2112 @ Mar 11 2007, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>This should be the list right here....1. Wilt Chamberlian2. Bill Russell3. Shaquille O'Neal4. Kareem Abdul Jabar5. Hakeem Olojuwan6. Moses Malone7. David Robinson8. Patrick Ewing9. George Mikan10. Bill Walton</div>How can you put Shaq over Kareem Abdul Jabbar? He beat Shaq in every single categary, Titles, MVP's, Points, Rebounds (they are tied statistically, but he has the third most in NBA history) Not to mention like the website said, he won a finals MVP when he was older than Shaq for heaven sakes!

18. ballerman2112

At that point in time, Kareem was going up agaisnt alot worse competion, much smaller people, and much shorter people. Go look at the average center size when he played. It wasnt near as tall as it is today. Also, that era had a much more fast paced game. Shaq was simply unstoppable, even when he was tripple teamed. If you put Shaq agaisnt Kareem in a head to head matchup, do you honestly believe that Kareem would have the strength to body up to Shaq? Of course he wouldnt...Shaq is the most dominant figure in NBA history.

19. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Shaq was and is so much more of a dominant player than Kareem. Nobody EVER could stop Shaq single handedly in the low block. He could overpower anybody in NBA history...Incuding Bill Russel and Wilt Chamberlain. In fact, if Russel and Chamberlains stat line wasnt so impressive, I would put Shaq as the best center of all time. When Chamberlain played, he was going up against alot of 6 foot 8 centers who weighed 220 pounds, and the same with Russell and Kareem. Shaq was triple teamed by whoever he faced and he still managed to dominate whoever he played agaisnt. He is the most dominant force in NBA history. period.</div>you don't know what you're talking about nor do you have a clue what dominance means. Kareem got 6 MVPs. 6. And he should have gotten 7. Shaq got ONE MVP, which is what he deserved. Shaq never averaged 30 points or 15 rebounds against the worst era for centers in NBA history.Kareem was averaging 34 ppg and 15 rpg against a league so center dominated that, in 1971 there were 5 MVP centers in the league who won MVPs at some point in there career.If you want to talk about being unstoppable, howabout Kareem averaging 40 ppg and 15 rebounds per game in head to head matchups with WILT CHAMBERLAIN, often thought of as one of the greatest defenders as all time.Shaq never averaged that much despite playing in a watered down era (as far as centers go). Not only that, but he got an asswhooping from Hakeem, who swept shaq despite shaq's superior supporting cast.

20. ballerman2112

Dude, you are telling me that I dont know what I am talking about? Do you honestly think that its just a coincidence that ALL of the players with amazing stats at the center positon was a long time ago? Look at Kareem. He had great numbers, and he never averaged over 15 rebounds per game, and never got above like low 30's a game. Kareem and Wilt played agaisnt weaker people. Why dont you go look at the average sized center during that era and compare it to when Shaq played. Its not even close. Go look at how many shot attempts per game Kareem took as well and look at how the game was played back then. Shaq is the most dominant force in NBA history, and he did it in an era where he wasnt playing agaisnt 6 foot 8 centers. In fact, he did it where he was getting triple teamed including a small forward who might have been 6 foot 8.