For the fans holding back, like me: Will a win over Miami finally sell you?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by chris_in_pdx, Dec 27, 2013.

1. chris_in_pdx

chris_in_pdx OLD SCHOOL

I think it might for me. Although the Thunder game next Tuesday at OKC will be the REAL barometer for whether this team is a legitimate force to win the title, a statement win over the reigning NBA Champions and the best player on the planet would prove to me and my snakebitten psyche that this team is no fluke, flash-in-the-pan.

I'm not trying to be a negative nancy, I watched last nights games and several before it and I am loving how this team plays and they are learning how to WIN even when they aren't playing well, which is the mark of a great team. I've just been a fan of this franchise long enough to know that things like this just don't happen to the Blazers. I'm still setting my expectations of this year's team to be a 2nd Round playoff run, and will be absolutely thrilled if they make it to the Western Finals. But a win over Miami (and then, dare I say, a win AT OKC) would pretty much sell me that this team, as built, can win a title.

2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I'm not sure what you mean by holding back. Even if they lose both the Miami and OKC games there is still so much to like about this team. This years configuration of the Blazers have my attention, my support and my love. Wins or loses against Miami and OKC isn't going to change that.

3. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    While I'm drinking the kool-aid of this team, it hasn't escaped my notice that were winning a lot of close games. We could easily have 10 loses right now. My thinking is that those close games have a way of evening out over the course of a season. When the season started I though no more than 46 wins. Now, I can see up to 52. So while I think we're a good team, I don't think we're an elite team yet. A win over Miami would be huge but it doesn't make or break us, IMHO.

4. TripTango

TripTango Quick First Step

Yes, this sums up my thoughts on the matter as well. I think we've all had our hearts wrung (and torn, and fractured, and microfractured) a few too many times over the years to easily get swept away by this early success, but W's next to those two games (or even one of them, really) would be a huge symbol of what this team can accomplish. Of course, there's no substitute for good luck on the health/injury front, but every team in the league has to roll the dice in that regard.

5. TripTango

TripTango Quick First Step

Obviously everyone (or almost everyone) here is a fan, and presumably likes and supports the team. I think Chris is just talking about fan expectations. What would it take for you to consider the season a success? Has that changed since opening tipoff? Would wins against MIA and OKC affect it?

6. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

How we play on the road against OKC is way more important to me. We don't have to win, I just want to see how we matchup with a top western conference team on the road. I already feel good about this team as far as being competitive in the playoffs, but to actually feel confident they are a legitimate contender to make the finals.....I want to see how we match up against OKC, Houston, and SA, on the road. This is the the last hurdle for me.

I still think the Clips are better than us as well. So we need to get HCA against them.

7. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

considering the brutal schedual of the upcoming texas swing, 4 games in 5 nights, I can't consider that a true test of the teams "eliteness"(spell check says I'm making up a word here). everyone seems to have a different yardstick to measure the level of "eliteness" by any way. the teams record speaks for itself, we are defeating teams that have had similar success in the first half of the season. the team still makes buckets when it counts against all comers. home court advantage in the playoffs certainly has a tendency to negate some teams regular season advantages and this coaching staff has been extremely capable of both game plans that work and in game adjustments. I think the in game adjustments part needs particular focus as during the playoffs each team will be able to scout and game plan their opponennts. adjustments have been a hallmark of this teams success in my opinion. we have players that are capable of, and have repeatedly in game situations, rose to the occasion and made big plays/shots. these things would indicate to me that this is an elite team, capable of winning a championship, the caveats of course include health and matchups. still elite so far.

8. Buffalo Blazer

Buffalo Blazer Member

I think any team that starts off 24-5 is a legitimate contender, especially a team like this that can beat you so many ways offensively.

We've already beaten OKC, Indiana, GS, Lob City, among others...I think we have as good of a shot as any. It all comes down to who stays healthy and plays well through the grueling playoff months.

9. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

No more than a loss to the Timberwolves made me doubt them anymore

Miami lost to Philly, should the city of Brotherly love start planning the parade route?

10. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

I think what I really want is at least 2 hard fought close games that we had a chance to win. Victories are of course even better. Or long story chance I want those 2 teams to know that we can be a force to be reckoned with.

11. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Exactly! If we can at least keep the OKC on the road game close, that would send a message to them that we are for real.

I've never seen OKC really fear a team until they faced us. They looked intimidated and the loss was a real let down. If we can beat them on their home court, it will really fuck with them. They will know even getting HCA may not be enough to beat us in a 7 game series.

12. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Look, your expectation that the real barometer is the OKC game that is on the road after a back to back and after playing LAC and Miami in the same week is a bit high. And also, almost everyone rightly so is saying we're going to lose that game. If we win, that's fantastic... but it's not the barometer that the 4 in 5 nights in late january is. 1 game doesn't make a season, really. It can get you jacked up and excited, and i've been there. But the reality is that a chunk of games like the ones in late january, and coming out of that 3-1 or even 2-2 is a much better gauge, IMO.

But, as for this Miami game. It is huge. Again, rebounds and second chance points are the big key, and if we can do that, we have a real chance. But, also like I have said, the chunks of games that are tougher is a true test of a playoff team, IMO.

13. Strenuus

One was opening night of a team that was together for 3 years winning back to back championships.

The other was a 4 games in 5 nights all on the road, and we at least made it respectable in the 2nd half of that game.

Again, it's all one game scenarios. The big tests are the records after 4 in 5, etc.

14. Carlito

Carlito Suspended

these wins would be good on the road but beating SA, Pacers, Clipps, Rockets, GS (away), Thunder are pretty impressive.

15. Strenuus

Control only what you can control at that moment.

16. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    This team is for real. Their record is real. They've earned their wins just like every other team. LaMarcus has a bad game: they win. Lillard has a few bad games: they win. Wes is MIA: they win. This is a good team. Maybe not the best team. Maybe not even top 5 by the end of the year. We'll see. No team goes undefeated. Even if they are sub-.500 on the Texas/OKC trip, that would be no cause to 'hold back'. The Blazers are one of the best teams in the league. Right now the Blazers have as good a chance at unseating Miami as the other best teams in the league. I'm just enjoying it one game at a time.

17. Carlito

Carlito Suspended

i still think they are 5-6 seed when its all said and done

18. Carlito

Carlito Suspended

Still have yet to play 2 in houston, 2 in LAx2, 2 in OKC, Indiana, Miami, Chciago, 2 in SA, 2 in Memphis,

19. Strenuus

Memphis? Yeah....

20. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    I'm not sure if anything can make me believe we can contend for a championship until we get to the WCF. Right now, I'm just enjoying the ride.