And here we go.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by chris_in_pdx, Dec 30, 2013.

1. chris_in_pdx

chris_in_pdx OLD SCHOOL

2. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I'm not allowing myself to post until I have two drinks and a chocolate chip cookie

3. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Look on the bright side; if we play .500 ball, we're still on pace for 50 wins.

4. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

We might only win one more game the rest of the year.

dreamcloud likes this.
  5. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Good grief. So the Blazers are tied for second in the West and the team in 4th place, the Clippers, are getting pounded by the Suns. Yes, the sky is surely falling.

6. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

"Its a process"

7. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

The defense thing is really rearing its head; and the turnover thing. Fixing one or the other is really necessary to having success, but when we're giving them extra possessions while not doing well to stop them from scoring, that's a recipe for losses. I'm not hopeless, but I have a little worry.

8. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

Mmmmm hmmmm

9. craigehlo

craigehlo Elite Wing

The constant need for Lopez to bail out the D at the rim and over-reliance on the 3-point shot has caught up to this team. I'm optimistic that CJ can help the 2nd unit scoring, but he's not going help with D much. This roster still needs a move or two have a legit shot in the playoffs.

10. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

We can get as mad as we want, bust players balls, hammer on coaches but the reality is this team shouldn't be in the position in which we are pissing and moaning about a loss like this.

11. Public Defender

Public Defender brigadier general

asking questions
    The turnovers are a recent phenomenon, and I think they require attention in practice. Teams are starting to watch film of the Blazers and have identified some ways to force turnovers - and I think players have gotten a little jittery on offense. But it's possible to counter whatever opponents are doing, and Stotts is a smart enough x's and o's coach that he ought to figure out "the turnover thing."

Three-point shooting is one of this team's major strengths, and should remain that way. But I question the move to take Thomas Robinson out of the rotation, in favor of a big who can shoot from the outside. The second unit already has Wright and Mo Williams who can hit from the outside. Do they need a third outside threat, or do they need a player who focuses on rebounding and scoring in the paint? I'd advise putting T-Rob back in the rotation.

To me, though, the team's biggest weakness all season long is defense. That may not improve appreciably until Lillard gets more experience. Batum and Mathews are good but need to be more consistent, Lopez is solid but a little slow, and Aldridge is decent. But Lillard has to get better, and the overall team defense has to improve.

In the end, I don't really see the Blazers as a 60-win team, or a likely threat for a top playoff seed. They're a 4-5, at best. For a team making the playoffs for the first time in years, that's a great step. But it likely means a first round exit. While I'd love to see a win in the first round, that'd be asking a lot for a newly successful team in the West.

12. craigehlo

craigehlo Elite Wing

While I agree with this analysis, I think this team can't waste LA's prime years with looking toward the future for success. They should really have a win-now attitude and look to be opportunistic with teams looking to blow things up by the deadline.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  13. Public Defender

Public Defender brigadier general

asking questions
    I appreciate that.

I agree that the Blazers all of a sudden have a top 10 player in the league in LaMarcus Aldridge, in his prime. I'm not suggesting the Blazers "waste LA's prime years." I see this year as a necessary building block: the team makes the playoffs, learns a few things, and management figures out what holes to fill. I'm not opposed to finding a player at the deadline if there's a really good deal to be had, but mid-season trades often have downsides. And in the end, I'm not sure the squad as a whole is so ready for playoff basketball that getting past the first round is that likely, regardless of who Olshey might snag at the deadline.

14. craigehlo

craigehlo Elite Wing

I'm not very confident LaMarcus will decide to stick around if we are one and done in the playoffs again. I'd look to add a legit 3rd scorer like Deng or DeRozen to the rotation to really make deep playoff push. The West is competitive, but there are no prohibitive favorites IMHO.

15. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    I can't be the only one to have noticed this trend:

In the last 10 games or so the Blazers only controlled the game from the first quarter ......once, in Philly.

They start out flat and coast until the second half.

16. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I've said it before, but I really don't like Stotts' rotation. Just play Damian like any coach plays their superstar guard. We're fucking with the rotation just to get Mo Williams more minutes, and that seems ridiculous with how badly he has been playing.

Play Dame the entire first quarter. Bring in Mo in the second quarter, give him 15 minutes per game as the BACKUP POINT GUARD.

I would rather see Crabbe at this point. Tired of seeing Wright make stupid mistakes and miss wide open shots.

17. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

I think now we've lost a few games it's time to adjust some of the lineups/rotations. Just didn't want to jinx the hot streak but it may be time now.

18. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I'm with you here. I think MO needs LESS minutes. I'd like a little rotation movement.

19. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I would play the starters for the entire first quarter.

Then, in the second quarter, bring in Mo, CJ, and Freeland. Wright has played himself out of the rotation IMO.

20. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I know CJ is a SG, but I wonder if Wright is only a fill in until CJ gets back? Maybe CJ and one of the third stringers played really well in practice and they are just waiting until those two meet up.

Pipe dream, but eh.