Leonard Freeland

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PtldPlatypus, Jan 3, 2014.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I'm really starting to appreciate this Leonard Freeland guy we have backing up our bigs. Over the past 6 games, he's averaged 24 mpg, shot 47% from the field, and put up 7.2 points and 10.8 rebounds per game, while playing decent defense. Not too shabby for a backup.

In all seriousness, I think the Leonard-Freeland pairing is starting to develop some nice chemistry. With the way they've been playing, I no longer cringe when both LA and RoLo take a breather. I look forward to finding out if this is just a mirage, or if they can really become a solid reserve frontcourt. If they can be consistently decent, that will go a LONG way toward us winning a playoff series or four.

2. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I agree... Freeland is like a Rolo's duties while Leonard is like a Aldridge's. Freeland gets offensive boards, defends the rim and has that occasional shot near the basket. Leonard stretches the defense, gets defensive boards and is getting much better at help defense.

It really seems like Freeland has worked with Leonard on areas he was deficient in. The way Leonard goes straight up is much like Freeland. They are both boxing out well too.

As much as I hate to say it, I think T. Rob is the odd man out. He's the tweener that isn't strong enough to play near the basket, doesn't have enough range to stretch defense and fouls a lot. I really like T. Rob too, but I just don't see him "long term", unless he works really hard with post play like Zach did years ago.

3. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

I do think there are a lot of similarities in style right now between Meyers backing up LMA and Joel backing up Robin. If they can manage to give the starters rest without blowing a lead, that's huge.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  4. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

If T-Rob works on his handle he could be a 3. He has no less range than Gerald Wallace did/does.

5. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

Jesus Christ, the idea of T-Rob as a three is crazy. He has a long way to go on defense to get there.

6. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

He does have a ways to get there but I think his game is a lot like a slashing 3. However, he looks awkward doing it but that's how he plays.

7. PtldPlatypus

Crazy, but a good crazy. With as worthless as Wright has been, I could get behind this idea. I would have liked to have seen that last night.

8. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

Agreed.

TRob is currently the odd man out, but give it time. Freeland looked like a lost cause last year. The rest of this year plus the offseason working on his game could result in a huge breakout.

9. magnifier661

He could be like Beasly actually. I wouldn't mind seeing if he could play the 3. It's not like we need him for long minutes. Maybe 5 a game to see how he fares?

10. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    If only Leonard could teach Freeland how to shoot.

11. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I think he is a 4 all the way. I think he is strong enough to play near the basket and I think he is improving his range to keep defenses honest.

His handles right now are very inconsistent. Defensively he could play some 3 and I guess with a lineup of bigs that play away from the basket (Leonard and LMA) he could be the right fit. But he is big and strong enough to play the 4.

But the problem is our offense. He does not fit in. Our offense almost forces him to play away from the basket. Teams dare him to shoot the open mid range jumper and although he is getting better, he should not be getting the ball out there.

The dude can ball. But does he fit with the Blazers? Maybe they should show case him. Do not give him away for nothing.

12. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    Worthless? He hasn't been great, but he's only .004 below his career average. And after a slow start ended up shooting 40% last night.

13. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

One thing T-Rob has the capability to do better than most on this squad is slash, here's to hoping he continues to work on that part of his game.

[video=youtube;nlJ5-QmhXtk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlJ5-QmhXtk[/video]

Agreed, really like seeing Lopez and Leonard playing together as well.

14. PtldPlatypus

Sorry...I've been rooting hard for him all season (we share a surname), and I've been greatly disappointed. I watched him very closely last night, and saw negative play after negative play. Nothing that happened during the forth quarter yesterday counted for anything, IMO. Prior to that, I saw nothing but bricks, turnovers, missed assignments, and dumb fouls.

Suffice to say, if given the chance, I don't see TRob offering less from the SF position than Wright has.

15. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Interesting premise--what's the difference b/w Robinson and a young Josh Smith? Better rebounder, not as crazy a defender?

16. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    What if Robinson was to learn Freeland's verticality method?

17. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Well, if he could learn it, it would be great. Freelndd has become the master of going straight up with arms fully extended. Robinson is a much more explosive leaper, so in his case, it would be straight up and up and up...

BNM

18. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Robinson is so exciting to watch though. The guy has a ton of talent. I'd like to see TRob and Leonard together, just for shits and giggles.

19. magnifier661

Until Leonard can anchor the front court is when you can have that type of experiment. So either we start blowing teams out or we stick with the usual suspects.