McCollum won't be part of Blazers rotation

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Jan 3, 2014.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]
    The only game action rookie CJ McCollum has seen over the last year came during Las Vegas Summer League play in July. (Sean Meagher, OregonLive.com)

When Trail Blazers coach Terry Stotts opened his pregame media availability with reporters Thursday night before his team’s dominant victory over the Charlotte Bobcats, he was peppered with questions about CJ McCollum.

The rookie guard will make his highly-anticipated professional debut Friday night for the Idaho Stampede of the NBA Development League, and the masses were curious about a host of issues. How long will he be in Boise? What position will he play? And, perhaps most pressing, how will McCollum fit into the rotation once he rejoins the Blazers?

“The plan is for him to play in Friday and Saturday night’s game in Boise and then come back here and we’ve got practice on Monday,” Stotts said. “We’ll see how he is, we’ll see how this weekend goes, we’ll see how practice goes, and then we’ll make decisions after that.”

Allow me to reveal what Stotts will say when McCollum returns from that D-League stint: McCollum is not going to be a part of the Blazers’ rotation. And, baring an injury or a drastic change in organizational thinking, he won’t be a part of the rotation the rest of the season.

You see, despite his sky-high potential, despite his status as a long-term building block, a variety of factors will relegate McCollum to the bench during his rookie season.

For starters, the Blazers (26-7) possess the most wins in the NBA and own the best record in the Western Conference. Why mess with a rotation that has led to such staggering success?

There’s also this: McCollum hasn’t played meaningful basketball in roughly a year. He first fractured the fifth metatarsal bone in his left foot in January of 2013, during his final college season at Lehigh. Outside of a few Las Vegas Summer League games in July, McCollum — who suffered another fracture of that same bone during a training camp practice on Oct. 5 — has spent more time rehabilitating and recovering than roaming the basketball court.

Does it really make sense to take minutes away from veteran Mo Williams, who Stotts has called, “the best backup point guard in the NBA?” Does it make sense to take minutes away from Damian Lillard, an All-Star candidate, or Wesley Matthews, who’s playing like an All-Star? No. These three players not only have developed a winning chemistry during the first 33 games of the 2013-14 season, they also have a proven track record in the NBA.

McCollum? He’s a rookie who hasn’t played one second in an NBA exhibition game, let alone the regular season. The Blazers are high on McCollum’s potential and team insiders say the No. 10 selection of the 2013 NBA Draft will be a key piece of the rotation some day. But that day isn’t likely to come anytime soon.

Stotts prefers to feature a nine-man rotation — not 10 — and his rotation is rock solid. If summer league revealed anything in July, it’s that McCollum is best suited to play off the ball, at shooting guard, and that role is in steady hands with Matthews and Lillard. Stotts likes to give Lillard a “break” from playing point guard for extended stretches of games, so he regularly plays a backcourt featuring Williams at point guard and Lillard at shooting guard. If McCollum were to be thrust into the rotation, he would eat away at this dynamic lineup and force Lillard to spend more time at point guard.

When McCollum plays in Boise, Stotts said, he will fill a role that most closely “simulates” his role with the Blazers. He will come off the bench and exclusively play shooting guard.

Assuming everything goes well and McCollum doesn’t experience a setback with his left foot, the 6-foot-4 guard will rejoin the Blazers in time for practice on Monday.

But, even though Stotts wouldn't say it Thursday, McCollum won’t join the Blazers' rotation.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/i...m_when_cj_mccollum_rejoins_trail_blazers.html

2. SlyPokerDog

:MARIS61:

3. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Seems accurate to me. I'm not even sure how he fits the rotation long term. Assuming good health from Dame and Wes, there aren't many more minutes at the SG position. I am open to holding him, but given that Wes and Dame are young, it sure would be nice to swap him for a more useful piece.

4. Drttimmy

Drttimmy Well-Known Member

Until he figures out the team has better spacing with McCollum on the court vs Williams.

5. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

I am okay with him not even playing this year at all so long as his foot doesn't break again. That injury seems like it never goes away..

6. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Maybe, but McCollum would have to develop at least some minimal PG skills. Having Dame at the 2 for short spells really helps his game. I don't think Stotts wants to move away from that. If CJ could develop Mo level PG skills, or close to it, then it would be a no-brainer. I'm just not sure he can--and I don't hear anything in Stotts' statements that makes believe he can either.

7. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Seems rather presumptuous.

8. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Sly, you should do what Ben does and put the article author's name in the thread title, that way I don't accidentally click on a link to Jaynes, Haynes, CannedHamO, or some such, lol...

9. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

It would make sense for CJ to take a few minutes from Wes so he is better rested at the end of the year.

10. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Good news. And I'm glad they plan on taking it slow with him. Kid is the future.

11. SlyPokerDog

The article is by Joe Freeman and I included the entire article so there was no need for you to click the link.

12. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Yup, the Blazers are sending him to the D League to simulate minutes because he won't join the rotation this season :crazy:

That makes total sense! :lol:

13. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought it was original Sly work too.

14. Natebishop3

Denny is providing Sly with scholarship money so he can go back to school and learn how to properly cite his sources.

15. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

It is a pretty good take from Freeman. It is just his opinion, but what he said made sense based on what he thinks Terry likes.

Does Terry really think Mo is the best backup PG in the NBA? That makes me a little uneasy. Maybe Terry said it just to give Mo confidence.

16. SlyPokerDog

I included the link.

17. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

I wondered the same thing. Odd wording ...

18. Natebishop3

We prefer MLA or APA. Unfortunately your information has been forwarded to the office of student integrity. Expect disciplinary action.

19. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

What are the odds that Damian, Wes, Batum, Mo, and Wright play every single game the rest of the season? That is 240 possible games, its unlikely we avoid an injury, illness, family issue, fatigue the entire time. If the those players play 95% of the remaining games that still give CJ 12 games to play in the rotation. If they play 85% of the games, CJ would have 36 games.

20. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    If you put the name in the thread title, I won't accidentally read stuff by Jaynes, Haynes, et. al.