Aldridge up to #3 on NBA.com's MVP list

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

http://www.nba.com/mvp-ladder/?ls=iref:nbahpt6a

Lillard holds steady at #8.

2. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    That's awesome!

3. Natebishop3

I don't see any way that Dame misses out on the All-Star game. Not with the way he's playing, and if we stay roughly in the top three in the west, I think he's a lock.

4. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

If Kobe and Westbrook give up their spots then I agree. If one does then it is a bit iffy. If both insist on playing (or at least dressing) then very little to no chance.

Edit: To be clear, Lillard deserves playing over both of them but that isn't the NBA we know (and sometimes?) love.

5. Natebishop3

I don't think Westbrook will be back in time for the All-Star game.

Kobe probably will be, because he's a selfish prick and cares more about himself than others, he'll probably log one minute and then sit on the bench. He's done it before.

6. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

I doubt Westbrook will be back by the coaches vote, and as that voting traditionally goes out of sight tends to be out of mind. Recent performance tends to factor largest in the vote, which is why Jan stats matter most. I'm not that worried about the coaches selecting him over Lillard given time that will have been missed by that point.

Also, even if Kobe suits up Lillard's only real threat is the coaches feeling compelled to select Parker just to give the spurs a rep (since Duncan's scoring is way down). As it stands right now Lillard fully deserves to be selected over Parker based on any statistical measure you use, and at least some of the coaches would be sane enough to recognize that. The vote might be split but I think Lillard would have great chance to get in over Parker even if it means the Spurs go rep-less.

Also if the Blazers continue to have the best record in the west and the Rockets continue to semi-struggle it would not be surprising at all if Lillard ended ahead of Harden in a close vote.

Right now I'd put Lillard's chances at something like 80% even if Kobe plays (Curry the only real lock from the coaches), 99%+ if Kobe doesn't play.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  7. Natebishop3

I agree that Westbrook has no chance of being voted in by the coaches. If Kobe can, he will dress but not play. The NBA should step in and keep him from being on the team. The guy played in...what.... three games? That's just ridiculous, especially if he's not healthy enough to actually play in the game. It would be a non-factor if I didn't know that he's selfish enough to take the nod regardless of his health.

Right now the starters look like they'll be

Kobe
    CP3
    Durant
    Griffin
    Howard

I think Curry and Harden are both locks. I think Duncan makes it again, regardless of numbers. The guy will keep making All-Star games until he retires.

I think the roster will be

Kobe (unless replaced)
    CP3
    Durant
    Griffin
    Howard

with the reserves as

Dame
    LA
    Love
    Harden
    Curry
    Parker or Duncan

And then I think there's a few guys on the bubble.
    Dirk
    Klay Thompson
    Cousins
    Dragic
    Bledsoe

There's 7 reserve spots, and I could see any of those guys making it. Cousins is putting up crazy numbers right now.

8. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

There is virtually zero precedent for the west coaches picking 4 guards out of their 7 selections and no reason to expect different this year, so if Kobe/Paul take starting spots and you think Harden is a lock (and Curry is obviously a lock) it will come down to Dame vs. Parker. I don't see Duncan being selected this year, even as a sympathy vote, so Parker as a Spurs sympathy vote is the only current threat to Lillard.

If Kobe insists on participating hopefully Stern will come up with some sort of contingency plan where Kobe can be a "non-active" team member and the West can have an extra player.

9. Natebishop3

Neither one of them are putting up impressive numbers this year. Parker doesn't deserve to make it over Dame, and honestly Duncan doesn't deserve to make it over someone like Dirk or Cousins.

10. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

agreed which is why I have Lillard at 80% even if Kobe plays. Spot is more or less his to lose either way. If he keeps kicking butt he'll force the coaches to not give the spurs a rep.

11. Natebishop3

Kobe really doesn't deserve to make it at all. The problem is that there are virtually zero shooting guards anymore. Harden is the only one that's likely to make it after Kobe.

12. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Spurs are third best team in league, right? And they were in the Finals last year. One of them should make it.

13. Natebishop3

If their players aren't the best at their respective positions, why should they make it? There are a lot of bigs that are putting up better numbers than Duncan. If Cousins doesn't make it, that will be a huge snub. He's currently averaging 23 and 11.

Parker is only putting up 18 and 6. Dame is clearly beating him.

14. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    I think one of them will make it. Coaches usually take winning into consideration. Spurs are unselfish team, not about gaudy individual numbers.

Dame should make it though. Why can't they both make it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Natebishop3

Who makes your reserves KS?

16. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

There are spots available for all 3 of Harden, Lillard, & Parker IF Kobe doesn't come back hog a spot and the commissioner doesn't do anything about it, all of which together makes an unlikely scenario.

In the unlikely event all of that happens Kobe will necessarily have to bump one of those 3.

17. Natebishop3

Here's the thing though... Someone will have to be snubbed first because they don't announce Stern's replacements until after the reserves are announced. So Dame or Parker will be left out until Stern puts them in.

18. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

True. I'm assuming Stern will name the snubee as Kobe's replacement because it would be such an obvious choice. Dragic is sort of thinly in the picture, but I don't think even Stern would dare pick him over Lillard as things stand right now. Of course if the Blazers go on a losing streak things could change.

19. Natebishop3

Yup. Lillard's fate is resting on the team's overall success.

20. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

If Kobe even hints that he might hog an all-star roster spot, I suggest we put Jeff Stone in charge of his rehab!

BNM