How do you guys interpret Matthew 19:24?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Further, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    Matthew 19:24
    "Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

I'm just wondering how any of you believers, especially ones with money like Mags, interpret this portion.

The reason I ask is I was discussing the new Pope with a couple friends and we kept coming back to this sentiment as why certain religious conservatives despise this Pope.

So, just what are your views on this topic?

2. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I interpret it as a warning, or reminder that greed is a sin. A reminder to share your wealth with those less fortunate. To open my heart, house and wallet for those truly in need.

Being rich isn't a bad thing.

3. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I take it has something to do with sex, camels and vagina size.

4. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

My view is that any Bible verse should be interpreted in context. Look at the next two verses:

The focus of this passage is not on whether or not it is acceptable to be rich, but whether or not one can attain to eternal life without dependence upon God. With this thought in mind, look again at the preceding portion of the passage.

Jesus was responding to a rich young man who wanted to know what he could do to get eternal life. After the man said that he had kept every commandment (which was clearly untrue), Jesus didn't argue with him, He simply told him to divest himself of his riches. By doing so, he illuminated the man's true interest. The man was very sad, because his riches were more important to him than eternal life was. He wanted to gain eternal life through his own resources, being self-reliant; Jesus instead told him that his own resources were of no value, and that he needed to be God-reliant.

So contextually, I interpret the "eye of a needle" verse to simply mean that no man can earn his own salvation, but he must rely on Jesus' sacrifice on our behalf.

5. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Historically speaking, I seem to recall that there was a gate in Jerusalem called "The Eye of the Needle" and it was somewhat low, requiring camels laden with trade goods, etc. to duck to get through

6. PtldPlatypus

That's a commonly told story, but I don't believe there's any historical evidence to support it.

7. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    Thanks for your interpretation and the added context, I'll think about this a while.

By the way, what are your thoughts of the new pope and are you catholic?

8. bluefrog

bluefrog Go Blazers, GO!

Programmer
    I think the new pope is a breath of fresh air. It's interesting to watch conservative responses to him.

Jesus is pretty clear on the pitfalls of wealth.

Luke 12:15 is another example:

He then follows with the parable of the rich fool

I don't buy the argument that the bible permits believers to have an "abundance of possessions" as long as you don't covet them

9. Nate4Prez

Nate4Prez . . . .

I always find it odd that rich christian republicans want to keep their money so much (no more taxes) and not support the people who need it (food stamps, healthcare). These seem totally contradicting to Jesus' teachings.

I dig the new pope. I think he really follows what Jesus taught.

10. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

My interpretation:

11. Mediocre Man

I'm not rich by any means, but I have savings and such, and what I hate is being told who to give my money to. I think that's where the problem lies with the rich Christian republicans you mock.

For example, I would much rather give my hard earned money to someone working two jobs to make ends meet rather than a family of 15 living off welfare

12. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

The rich Christian Republicans he's talking about don't want to give their stuff to anyone. They only care about themselves, and that's apparently "not very Christian".

13. PtldPlatypus

Conservative Baptist, and haven't really paid any attention to the Pope.

14. Mediocre Man

I certainly can't speak for all of them, but I know several rich Christians who donate a lot of time and money to causes.

I also know a lot of non Christian people who do the same.

I mean who are these horrible Christians you all seem to know that don't give money to charity or back to the community?

15. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
    ...I interpret that as fiction, nothing more and nothing less :devilwink:

16. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Therein lies the uniqueness of (True) Christianity to all other World religions, you do not earn your salvation, rather have faith that God already came down to earth and died for it.

As a former Catholic I do not believe they teach true Christianity, however I do credit them for planting my foundation in Christ.

IMO he is a placater to the World, but who am I to judge?

17. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures, the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge, has marked the upward surge of mankind and greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the U.S.A.

-- book of Gekko 1:1

18. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    The majority of rich religious and non-religious people I have known in my life have given substantially to charities. For me, I'm not questioning this, nor am I even questioning taxation as I know I (not rich or religious) detest many of the things my taxes are being used for (war, oil subsidies and so on) so I get that conservative people would be pissed to see their taxes go to some of the programs meant to help the poor, but may in some cases reward douchebags, or towards providing contraceptives.

What I'm questioning is the very path towards becoming wealthy and retaining wealth seems to go exactly against what Jesus professed. If you have enough wealth to have an excess of what you NEED in this life, it seems Jesus was saying that should to be used to help the poor. If you have enough to drive $100,000 cars, that's well in excess of what is needed and in fact seems to be in a way putting faith in money more than Jesus and worshiping a false idol. I personally don't believe this, but it does seem to be what actually makes sense in interpreting what Jesus said. It's the dichotomous nature of how people believe and how people profess what they believe that intrigues me.

19. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I'm onboard with what MM and especially Platypus said.

IMHO, the parabales (whether of the talents, the rich young ruler, the woman at the well) were a set of stories/analogies that Jesus used to teach each individual He came across according to their individual state and sin, in order to point to the truth that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and that only for making Jesus the Lord of your life will you receive eternal life in/with Him. Some didn't like when He said to give up their wealth, and therefore didn't want to follow Him. He wasn't saying for everyone to give up all their wealth. Some he told that their sins were forgiven, challenging their thoughts about their religiousity. Lazarus He resurrected because He was sad he died and to show the power of faith. Zaccheus was a thief and a cheat, and Jesus didn't tell him to stop being a tax collector, or even to give to charity, but to love and follow Jesus; and Lazarus immediately apologized for being a cheat and went out and gave half his wealth to the poor. If you read the Parable of the Widow's Mites out of context you might think Zaccheus is going to be condemned for "only" giving half while the widow is praised for giving all she had, but that isn't the case at all (most traditions hold that he became the disciple replacing Judas, which wouldn't probably have happened if he was condemned for withholding half of what he was supposed to).

If you look at who the Bible says to give to, it isn't "the poor"...it's the poor who work (or who have worked their entire life and now are old) and who have no children or relatives to help them. It then falls to the church to take care of them. A pious man is not supposed to give to others unless his extended family is taken care of first. (This also is shown in Islam in the requirement before going to Hajj)

There's plenty more, but I only wanted to take 5 minutes. ;)

20. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I'd take the words of Jesus over that dribble.