M's bring on catcher John Buck

Discussion in 'Seattle Mariners' started by truebluefan, Jan 17, 2014.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

Catcher John Buck and the Mariners have finalized a $1 million, one-year contract, giving Seattle another veteran option behind the plate.

The agreement was struck earlier this week and announced Thursday. He can earn $3 million in performance bonuses, with half based on games started and half on plate appearances.

The 33-year-old hit .215 with 15 homers and 60 RBIs in 101 games last year for the New York Mets, who traded him to Pittsburgh on Aug. 27. He batted .292 with two RBIs in nine games for the Pirates.

Read more http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10306191/seattle-mariners-sign-catcher-john-buck-one-year-deal

2. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

While this looks like a great backup-catcher signing, some of the rumors are that this opens it up a bit (since the M's also re-signed Humberto Quintero) to shop Zunino if they're going to get a stud (David Price?) back.

Personally, I like having Zunino around, and think he'll only get better. And I like Walker. But I generally overvalue prospects with 6 years of team control over short-term guys.