Blazers getting some Love in NBA.COM

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Boob-No-More, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Just went to nba.com and two of the six featured articles are about the Blazers.

The first one is: Trail Blazers Answering The Questions by Fran Blinebury.

This article came out after Friday's win over San Antonio. Blazer Fanatic did reference it and provided a link in the recently bumped "Who the Hell is Sekou Smith" thread, but I thought it deserved it's own place for those who don't follow old, bumped threads.

The second article, ironically posted on Sekou Smith's Hang Time Blog is:
    Batum Says He’s Earned All-Star Nod by Jeff Caplan.

In addition to a nice interview with Nic, the author reinforces Nic's contention that he's worthy of being an all-star. Nic doesn't have the flashy individual stats, but these advanced stats provided by the author shows the positive impact Nic has on the team when he's on the floor:

"Delving into the advanced stats reveals Batum’s all-around value to the Blazers as well as his worthiness for a coveted All-Star spot. Here’s how he ranks among the league’s forwards in key categories (my comments in bold):

> 1st: In offensive rating (113.5 points team scores per 100 possessions with Batum on the floor) Nic is basically playing point forward and does a great job creating easy baskets for his teammates - especially Robin Lopez.

> 4th: In net rating (10.2, the difference between offensive and defensive rating) behind his teammate Aldridge, Indiana’s David West and Golden State’s Lee) All those ahead of him are power forwards. His net rating is better than Durant and LeBron.

> 4th: In true shooting percentage (59.2 percent, adjusted to include the value of 3-pointers and free throws) behind Miami’s LeBron James, Oklahoma City’s Durant and Toronto’s Amir Johnson LeBron and Johnson are in the Eastern Conference.

> 4th: In effective field-goal percentage (55.5 percent, adjusted for 3-pointers being 1.5 times more valuable than 2-pointers) behind James, Johnson and Houston’s Chandler Parsons Again James and Johnson are in the Eastern Conference.

> 3rd: In assist percentage (21.9 percent, percent of teammates’ field goals that the player assisted) behind James and Durant James is Eastern Conference. It's a given Durant is the best small forward in the Western Conference and will be starting in the All-Star game.

> 5th: Among small forwards in rebound percentage (10.3, percentage of total rebounds a player obtains while on the court) behind New York’s Carmelo Anthony, Dallas’ Shawn Marion, James and Durant James and Melo are Eastern Conference, Durant is a given and Marion won't be making the All-Star team.

Not too shabby."

So, what do you think? Personally, even if they have the best record in the West at the All-Star break, I doubt if the Blazers get more than two All-Stars. I think Lillard and Aldridge will definitely make it. If there is a 3rd Blazer All-Star, I'm not sure who is more deserving, Wes or Nic. They are both having great years, but are very different players. Wes is shooting the ball great this season and has become a dependable 3rd scorer. Nic is much more of a glue guy/role player. I don't mean that in a derogatory way. Every championship team needs a guy like that and I'd rather have Nic Batum putting up decent, but not great, individual stats on the 31-9 Blazers than Kevin Love putting up huge individual stats on the 17-19 Timberwolves.

But, glue guys/role players rarely make the All-Star team, and on the rare occasions they do, it's usually in the season AFTER they win a championship.

So, in the bigger picture, what do you think of Nic's claim that he's the 2nd best small forward in the Western Conference? I agree with him on that one. Durant is clearly miles ahead of every other small foward in the West, and the other two clearly better small forwards (LeBron and Paul George) are in the East (as is Carmelo Anthony who really is more of a power forward these days).

So, 2nd best SF in the Western Conference: yes. All-Star: no.

BNM

TheBlueDoggy likes this.
  2. TheBlueDoggy

TheBlueDoggy Member

Former US Army Infantry, Currently full time stude
    I concur with your assessment of Batum. He's likely the 2nd best SF in the West, but he's not an All Star yet. His advanced stats are nice, and he certainly is a glue guy, but All Stars have historically not been about what a player truly does for his team, but have been about individual stats, flair, and aggressiveness. Nic is a little lacking in individual stats, and is pretty much absent of flair and aggressiveness most of the time. If he played with the fire he had last night in Dallas, every game, he'd probably fit that All Star mold better. As it is, the All Star game isn't about those deserving glue guys, but rather who is more marketable.

Maybe next year or the year after, but I personally don't think Batum has a shot this year.

3. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The bolded is very true, and unfortunate. I suggested in the "Is Lillard the team MVP" thread that Batum might actually be the most irreplaceable member of the squad, and perhaps the most valuable. The vast variety of his skills and contributions continue to impress me every game I watch.

4. Boob-No-More

What you said is definitely true of the fan voting, but the coaches select the reserves and sometimes will pick a role player (Doc Rivers, Tayshaun Prince, Charles Oakley, etc.) with lesser individual stats due to the impact he has on his team's success. Those selections are rare and usually occur when a team is having unexpected success, or in the season after they win a championship. Every once is a while, the coaches like to reward a guy who does all the "little things" that helps his team win.

BNM

5. TheBlueDoggy

TheBlueDoggy Member

Former US Army Infantry, Currently full time stude

Very true, I just question how much Batum is on the coaches radar. I'm sure they all know in the back of their minds what he brings to the table, but is that enough to think about him when it comes to a vote? Perhaps an article on NBA.com like this one can help, but I feel it's likely too little too late Imo.

6. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I don't think Prince has ever made an all star game but I see your point. If the Blazers are good year after year there's a good chance Batum makes at least one all star game even if his individual stats are not as good.

7. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

That's an interesting way of looking at it. So, he's more than the glue of the team?

8. Boob-No-More

You're right. Prince was 4 time 2nd team All-Defense, but never made the All-Star team. Perhaps Ben Wallace would have been a better example. He made the All-Star team 4 times in spite of never averaging double digits in scoring. He made it for his defense, which impresses the coaches much more than casual fans who tend to like players with high scoring averages and flashy highlights.

BNM

9. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Nic isn't a role player. Role players don't get triple doubles. Battier is a role player. Batum is a top 5 SF.

10. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    The fact is that all 5 of our starters are playing at an All Star level. That's why we are 31-9.

11. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Nico is All NBA perhaps, but PDX isn't a hot bed of 'stars'. And glue guys, even super glue guys, as has been stated, don't normally get all star recognition, or all star treatment. Strike three, he's out.

12. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Meh. The all-star game is an orgy for people who think the NBA should be a showcase for individuals rather than a team sport.

13. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Ben Wallace was voted in by the fans as a starter his first two All-Star appearances. I'm not sure he's a good example, either. :dunno:

14. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Lillard and LMA are superstars. Nic and Wes are top 5 at their position. And Lopez matches up well with centers who have made the All Star team in recent years.

15. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Did someone say orgy?

[​IMG]

16. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

This is highly subjective at this point.

17. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

LMA & Love are locks, leaving 2 spots open for Cousins, AD, & Dirk who are respectively #5, 6, & 8 in the entire league in PER.

As good as the Blazers record is if the coaches voted Nick in over 2 of those guys there would be riots. Not gonna happen. It will be bad enough when AD or Cousins gets snubbed.

18. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

Let's be honest. Every starter is irreplaceable. The totality of the heart, effort, chemistry, unselfishness, toughness, acceptance of individual roles, versatility... etc, the starters play with is the best in the entire NBA.

#1 record in the West

[​IMG]

#1 in the NBA in rebounding? I do recall saying this was an improved rebounding team before the 1st game of the regular season, and some rube saying you can't take anything away from pre-season but negative stuff like turnovers. D. Decker from Homer's Edge is a dummy. lol

19. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

What does that make your comment? At least he added something interesting to the thread.

20. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

I'm OK with that. I would just prefer the coaches select the entire teams so that it actually means more when the tag "All Star" is added to a player's name.