2015 Football Commits and Recruiting News

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by PapaG, Feb 10, 2014.

1. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Early list of Oregon targets.

http://oregon.scout.com/a.z?s=128&p=9&c=4&yr=2015

Here are the players with Oregon offers.

OLB John Houston
    CB Iman Marshall
    DE Keisean Lucier-South
    DE Byron Cowart
    DE Canton Kaumatule
    TE Devonaire Clarington
    QB Jarrett Stidham
    WR Christian Kirk
    OLB Jeffery Holland
    RB Taj Griffin
    DT Jacob Daniel
    OG Conner Dyer
    WR Isaiah Langley
    OT Chuma Edoga
    OG Zach Okun
    OT Andre James
    WR Ryan Newsome
    OT Henry Roberts
    CB Tim Irvin
    OT Zack Bailey
    CB Maurice Smitherman
    OT Quinn Oseland
    OT Calvin Throckmorton
    OT Shane Lemieux
    OT Tim Lynott

2. Zalsa

Zalsa I like salsa

I like us getting...(doesn't have to be all of them....more like 75% of them)

Cowart
    Stidham/Waller
    Kirk
    Jacob Daniel(long shot but we can't give up hope!)
    Edoga
    Carlos Davis
    Simba Short
    Zach Okun
    Andre James
    Henry Roberts
    Zach Bailey
    Kiefer Longson
    Dominic Frederikson
    Khalil McKenzie
    Nick Capella
    Josh Jones
    Quin Oseland
    Calvin Throckmorton
    Ross Donelly
    Shane Leimiuex

3. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Don't be disappointed if only 5 or so on your list turn out to be Ducks. If you could predict 75% of Oregon's next class a year out you'd be more accurate then any service by a longshot. The recruiting road always takes a lot of twists and turns, which is part of why it's fun to follow :)

STOMP

4. Zalsa

Zalsa I like salsa

Hehe, true true. I also heard we offered some NR prospects as well. Am interested to see how things pan out.

Also, if Ratu's scores don't pan through. Will he go to JUCO(saddleback does come to mind).

5. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

wrong thread but :dunno: I'm not really holding my breath on him though as he doesn't seem to be very athletic. As usual though, I'll defer to the coaches... not every player has to be an all world talent to be a solid contributor to the team

STOMP

6. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Going into the 2014 season, the Ducks only have 13 Seniors graduating. As with every year they'll probably lose some more kids to attrition and early entry into the draft... Mariota would seem to be someone we'd expect to leave early as he'll have graduated and a likely top pick. Anyway, what they lose to attrition & EE is obviously to be determined, but this next class will probably be under 20 kids.

If it seems like competing schools keep having these huge classes compared to Oregon, thats because the kids already in UO's program aren't flunking out/moving on so there are less spots available.

STOMP

7. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

you do know that Daniel decommitted from UW right?

STOMP

8. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I say they institute a 300 lbs or bust rule for next years recruiting cycle.

I love my Ducks, but they are going nowhere until they can stop being dominated at the defensive line of scrimmage.

9. Zalsa

Zalsa I like salsa

But now we need to battle USC. They are buying into Sark

10. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

explain how the smaller Michigan State line stopped Stanford in the Rose Bowl if it's all about DLine size. The only times they brought more then 4 guys to the line of scrimmage was on kicking plays. Their LBs sure did kick ass though

I'll continue to maintain it was the Duck LB play that was lacking in their 2 losses and point to the old adage of it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Oregon had & has solid size on the DLine, they need better play.

a poster over on the rivals site made an interesting point about recruiting the Big Uglies from far away. Imagine being 6'5 300+ & excited about coming to Oregon on an OV. The actual event comes and you're squeezing into coach flight seats from Texas or the East Coast to Eugene. With the transfers and delays between flights your exciting visit is bookended by some long uncomfortable travel. They've been landing some talent from afar the past few years but have been missing on the big boys... I wonder if this is part of why

STOMP

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  11. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

A story to ponder.

A kid I went to high school with was a pretty good player at 275 lbs. The coach got him to drop 30 lbs and he became all-state. He went to Notre Dame and was told he needed to beef back up. He did - and his career went in the toilet.

I understand that there have been huge improvements in nutrition and weight training since the 70s. The fundamental point remains: if you rercruit an athlete and have them put on significant weight - they may no longer *be* an athlete!

I would rather see them recruit kids with natural size, not assume they can turn a 275 lber into a 300 lber.

Flame away! :devilwink:

12. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

actually an important point Grouch. Will Sutton for ASU comes to mind. He was a Monster last year, then they had him add a bunch of weight, and he lost a lot of the explosiveness he had.

Alot of the time the 300 lbs that many get so fixated on is bad weight, so when they get to school, they actually have to drop the bad weight and then build back up with good weight.

13. Zalsa

Zalsa I like salsa

Got stats on the weights of the D-line and O-line in the Rose Bowl. I will admit, MSU's LB corps went ballistic that night. One of the best in the nation IMO.

Better play on both the D-line and LB corps right? Hopefully Ragin and Swain will develop nicely.

Yeah, it's easier taking an official by driving on the highways(Oxford, Auburn, Athens) then going cross country. Hasn't stopped USC, Vanderbilt, Alabama, or Notre Dame from getting guys they want cross country though. We just need to build the winning tradition(and maybe hope Saban can retire. He IS in his 60s).

14. Wheels

MSU Rose Bowl Media Guide Page 34 of the PDF. Note it says depth chart as of 12/16 so I cant say thats the exact Starting Lineup for the Rose Bowl.

for the 2 deep that comes to an average of 270.62 LBS for 8 DL

Avg weight for their 2 deep at DT and NT = 289.75

Avg weight of 2 deep for our 3 full time DL postions for the Alamo Bow

Taylor Hart 287
    Ricky Heimuli - 314

NT - Keliikipi - 306
    Balducci - 297

DE
    Buckner - 286
    Armstead 280

Avg weight 295

Including Washington 243
    and French 244
    (DE/OLB's)

= 282 lbs avg

Alamo bowl Depth Chart

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  15. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

MSU barely substituted on their DLine either... their 4 starters averaged 273 according to those Rose Bowl stats.

Not that it really changes the overall point much if at all, but pretty sure some of those listed weights on Oregon's roster are from the previous year. Wade was listed at 299 last year while AA was up to 296.

here is a link to the official weights from last year that I recall... http://www.goducks.com/pdf9/2527601.pdf

STOMP

16. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

is it scheme then?

17. Wheels

I tend to agree that there was a large dropoff in LB from the previous year. Hopefully that changes with Danny Mattingly coming off a redshirt, and Highly regarded players such as Torrodney Prevot Tyrell Robinson and I'd even put a healthy Tyson Coleman on that list... all being a year older and with experience in the system. Jimmie Swain is also a good looking kid coming in as a true freshman this year.

18. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

rivals top rated WR on the West Coast is Arizon's Christian Kirk. He has scheduled a visit to Eugene early March. He's supposed to really like Oregon and plans to enroll early to whichever school he commits

[video=youtube;9ideMH3dH8Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ideMH3dH8Q[/video]

STOMP

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  19. Zalsa

Zalsa I like salsa

I think Kirk would make a fine Oregon Duck and could be the crown jewel of our class if we grab him. He can easily fit a DAT or Addison type of role. We just need to stave off those pesky TAMU aggies.

20. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

he has stated that the Ducks have been his favorite rooting interest since he was a kid

STOMP