Now I have to hear a year of this worthless Derek Jeter crap

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by dumpstralmannow, Feb 13, 2014.

1. dumpstralmannow

dumpstralmannow Active Member

In many ways, I felt Jeter was always a phony. Yeah, he never said stupid stuff to the media. Who cares. He lives a rich lifestyle and I don't get the sense he would associate with any of us common people. I also hated how he was a dirtbag and held the Yankees up for every penny he could when his contract was up. I'm not a Yankee fan. So you are retiring. Who cares. His stupid ego wouldn't let him announce it in August. He think he's Mo. He's not. Mo was always down to earth and he gave the Yankees many a break with his contracts. I think Mo announced it at the beginning of the year because he really wanted a year to say goodbye to the game and the fans. I think Jeter just wants his ass kissed.

2. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

I can understand having a farewell tour for Rivera, who was the greatest at his position, but if they start doing it for every HOF caliber player it's ridiculous.

3. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

its b/c he's a Yankee. This season is going to be insufferable with every team bowing to him. We knew it was coming some day when he retired, so at least we get it over with,

4. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

They were both egomaniacs to announce a retirement before the season even started. No other reason to do it other than attention. Announce it in August so the fans can pay tribute and be done with it. Mo's "farewell tour" was an absolute joke.

5. dumpstralmannow

dumpstralmannow Active Member

I think teams went over board with Mo. However, I never saw Mo display an ego. He certainly could have walked around like royalty because he pitched liked it.

6. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Wow. You guys are a tough crowd. With all the shitheads out there to go off on in sports these days we're going to give someone like Derek Jeter shit?? A guy that goes out of his way with kids(no, he doesn't bring a camera crew with him to advertise it), runs a charitable foundation helping others, and has never had a cringeworthy second in 20 years as a Yankee. While not the greatest baseball player ever he IS the greatest NY shortstop ever and top 3 to 5 shortstops all time. In addition, he will and up top 5 or 6 all time in hits with somewhere around 3500 and one of the most clutch hitters in postseason baseball history. He's entitled to take a few bows around the league in his last year. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

7. NYR31

8. Disturbed

Disturbed Well-Known Member

Software
    Not a Yankee fan at all - Unfortunately I am a Mariners fan.....But I always thought Jeter was highly over rated. He is a HOF'er as he was a good offensive player at a position that largely doesnt create offense but he was average defensively at best.

He was special because he came up with a core of young players that played productively for like 20 years and won 4 rings...the likes of which this game has rarely seen (Jeter, Posada, Petite, Rivera then add Bernie Williams, etc).

People will talk of Jeter like he put up pre-juice Arod production at that just isnt true. A good offensive player for a very long time playing a position that made his offensive numbers great. But he will be talked about as a top 50 baseball player all time and that simply isnt true based on his production on the field.

Say what you want about Rivera - Some people dont think his position as closer is as impt as say a SS - But he was absolutely the best at his position that ever played the game and I dont see how you can dispute that. I remember seeing Rivera pitching in relief in 95 in the Kingdome in that classic series prior to him being dominant setting up Wetteland in 96.

Hate the Yankees but NOBODY better at his position then Mo

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  9. NYR31

has Jeter ever lead the league in any significant stat? and zero MVP's and a hack on the field. HUGELY overrated and unfortunately we have a full year coming up of his retirement tour.

The only thing to admire about Jeter is his collection of ex-gf's. Stellar list.

10. Ranger71

Most of them weren't even that hot imo, except for Kelly, she's pretty smokin. Mariah Carey got fat and ghetto after the first few years. :)

11. NYR31

agree on Mariah, but you got Scarlett Johanson, Biel, Alba, Adriana Lima and Minka. Well done by Mr. Overrated.

12. Ranger71

Oh yeah Alba, forgot her. Scarlett and Biel I don't really care much for but not shabby by any means.

13. mrmel29

Come on Dis… 5 rings buddy not 4, average defensively with 5 gold gloves, the core group was good and he was the best everyday player of the core as mariano though fantastic pitched about 75 innings a season. You guys that have the yankee prejudice are funny belittling jeters accomplishments like he is an average joe only good because luckily he played for the yankees is kind of grasping for straws. The proof in the pudding is listening to his contemporary teammates and more importantly his opponents gush about how good a player jeter was and his impact on the yankees on the only thing important to him… .. winning. Jeter was one of the greatest post season players(when the money is on the line) in baseball history holding many records. The only question will be if Jeter will be the first unanimous selection first ballot hall of famer in 5 years or if the usual couple of morons will somehow claim there are 10 other eligible players at the time that rate ahead of him.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  14. mrmel29

Alright 31, here we go . Correct in no mvp's however finished 2nd hosed that year, 3rd twice, 6th, 7th and 3 10th place finishes so 8 times finished in top 10 in anti ny bias mvp voting. The hack had 5 gold gloves. Holds a bunch of all time baseball postseason records. And when he is done this year only 4 or 5 players in history will had had more hits than him along with his 5 rings currently and counting. You are right in his stellar girlfriends count. I actually googled up a who's who of jeter babes that were known and list is Carey, Lara dutton miss universe, brewster, lima, manilla,alba, johannson, biel,uchitel (BT before tiger), kelly and lastly hannah davis. First ballot hall of fame list of babes.

15. NYR31

don't really care to get into it about Jeter, mrmel, b/c you're obviously a Yankee fan and therefore Jeter is on a pedestal. To make sure i didn't misinterpret your previous post, are you saying Jeter should be the first unanimous HOF selection?

16. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    20 year HOF type players are such a dime a dozen

17. mrmel29

No, he should be the 2nd. Mariano should be the first the year before. :clap::clap:

18. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    Im a big time Yankee fan but for the most part jeter was the face of the franchise but not the best player on his team. yeah he finished 2nd one year, but guess what he is a huge product of the players and team around him. he would not be the star player he is today if say Kansas City drafted him.

My favorite Yankee growing up with Bernie Williams.

I had this long debate on the Yankee board about who would you start a team with if you turned back time and started a team in 1995, Chipper Jones or Derek Jeter...I was crushed by so much pro jeter it was ridiculous.

Id take Chipper of Jeter to start a team any day of the week.

19. NYR31

ha, maybe Mo, but if Maddux didn't do it, maybe no one can. Because of the Yankee love fest in baseball Jeter will get in on the first try with a very high % of votes, that's for sure. Speaking of the '99 MVP. Go check out Pedro Martinez's #s. THAT is a robbery.

20. NYR31

And Al nails it.