Meyers Leonard- What To Do?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BLAZER PROPHET, Feb 18, 2014.

1. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    As we all know, his sophmore season has been very disappointing. No one doubts his athleticism for a center, but he doesn't seem to grasp how the game is played.

So do we trade him or keep him?

It seems to me that if we do trade him, we will have to have back what would be considered a top 15 pick or at least another servicable center. It's idiotic to trade an athletic center for anything else.

For me, I'd keep him. We have 15 players on the roster and we only really play 8-9 and expect a contribution. Meyers, I think, will eventually learn the game and can still be a somewhat productive center. So stick him at the emd of the bench and let him just continue to learn. It may take 4 or 5 years but eventually I think he will pay some sort of dividends.

2. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

He very well may have so little value that he can't/won't be moved, if we could trade him(and maybe another) for a guy like Hawes I do it in a heartbeat

3. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Someone else made the point recently that Leonard's rookie year was actually better than Spencer Hawes', and that the difference was that Hawes was given playing time that allowed him to develop. It's completely true; Hawes was a sub-14 PER player for four years--starting the majority of those games--before he finally figured out how to be a legit contributor. Given PT and opportunity, Leonard would probably be able to figure it out as well, but we just don't have the luxury of being bad enough (oxymoronic, I know) to justify giving 25 mpg to a guy with a PER of 11.4 (unless that guy's name is Mo Williams).

Basically, whether we keep him or trade him, I don't think we'll ever see him as a legit NBA contributor in a Blazer uniform. If we can deal him for someone who has a proven ability to produce, I would do it.

4. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

very good pt about the needed playing time, he simply won't get it here and likely neither will Trob, Philly IMO are perfect destinations for them as they get a ton of minutes this yr and next, but Philly may not want them

5. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

...which is really unfortunate for all involved, because Hawes would be great for us, Stotts' system would be great for him, Philly's situation would be so much better for Leonard and Robinson than ours is, they (age and experience wise) are much better fits for Philly than Hawes is, AND Nerlens Noel would likely be better served to be playing with two other young, learning front-court players than to be behind a better, more experienced center.

The deal just makes too much sense not to happen, which is why it won't.

6. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Unless you could sell a team on Meyer's pending potential, trading him know would be buying high and selling low. As a team they are almost better to hold on to him and try to develop him because that is the most they can hope to get out of him at this point versus the value they would likely get in a trade.

:matrix:

7. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

Bigger guys always take longer to develop and mature. You can't teach his size, I say we stay patient.

8. BLAZER PROPHET

I have this feeling that if we trade him we will be sorry when he develops into an NBA player.

9. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

Meyers and Thomas are both guys that if we trade, in about two years we will have forgotten Jermaine O'neal for Dale Davis. Ok not that much but realistically they both have assets you simply can't teach.

10. Schilly

Meyers per 36: 10.7pts, 11.6reb
    Robinson per 36: 14pts, 12.7reb

Hawes 2nd season per 36: 14pts, 8.7reb
    Hawes Career per 36: 13.8pts, 9.3 reb.

And for the whole starter vs bench Hawes is only a part time starter until this season.

11. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Meyers has a far higher basketball IQ than most of you seem to grasp. He's 21. He has mobility and passing skills that most centers would kill for.

He's 21. Given regular PT, some teaching from the coaching staff, and a little patience, and he'll develop into a devastating force in the middle. Did I mention he's only 21?

12. Schilly

With Meyers either the light bulb will go on or it won't. If it does Look out! If it doesn't he's still roster worthy guy as a 2nd or 3rd C.

13. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

The problem I see with Meyers is he doesn't seem to be gradually improving. Second year in the NBA and I would guess sometimes that it is the first time he stepped onto an NBA court.

Don't think he has much trade value, and with his size and athletic ability, Blazers have no practical choice than to try and develop him.

14. OSUBlazerfan

OSUBlazerfan Writing Team

For all the bball knowledge that this board has, it shocks me how many of you disregard the fact that Meyers just doesnt know how to play basketball. He doesnt pass the eye test, his BBIQ is the worst i have ever seen in the NBA. Its not about getting the opportunity etc, just watch him on the court.

15. BLAZER PROPHET

I am convinced that given time he will be fine. I like the idea of hiring a big guy coach just to help him.

16. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

Totally agree with this assessment. I like the kid, but he doesn't understand movement on the defensive side of the court.

We would be lucky to get anything in a trade for him.

17. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Compare his numbers with Joel P.'s at the same age. I don't like the player he is right now, but I also think you have to keep him for longer and see what you get.

18. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Add me to the chorus. But I also believe this about Robinson, much as I wish it weren't so.

19. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

Samesies.

20. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

I disagree with this premise.