The All-Star Game is unwatchable

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shooter, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Shooter

Shooter Unanimously Great

advertising
    I tuned in to the All-Star game for about two minutes, then had to change channels. I simply cannot watch the game anymore.

The total lack of defense is a joke. I have no interest in watching Kevin Durant throw up three-point shots all night while everyone else watches. What is the point? You can watch him do that during pre-game warmups.

Is defense not an important part of the game? Is it a second-class citizen, something you're a little embarrassed about, and have to hide in the closet? If this ridiculous excuse for a basketball game (163-155!) is what the NBA wants to promote, why even bother giving out a Defensive Player of the Year award?

And, please, stop telling us that defense wins championships. It couldn't be that important if you don't choose to feature it in your All-Star game.

2. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Really?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Guys take it easy to conserve energy for their teams. It's an exhibition game, so the lack of d is quite understandable.

The league is going in the right direction by adding some rest days after the break for next year. So this might allow the guys to go a bit harder.

4. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Yes, really. It's Pro-Bowl level bad.

5. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Not since the NBA pussified the game and robbed the power away from defensive minded players. Sure they will let them play a bit harder come playoff time, but they will go straight back to the ticky tack bs when a series is being decided.

6. Shooter

advertising
    Durant didn't seem to be conserving any energy on offense. From the stat sheet, it looked like he was running up and down the court all night, shooting 3-pointers from everywhere.

It's supposed to be an exhibition of NBA basketball, which included defense the last time I checked.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  7. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

That's because he's a selfish ballhog douche.

8. Shooter

advertising
    Yeah, I have to agree. He shot 17 three-pointers, which is ridiculous.

9. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

So I'm probably the only Harlem Globetrotters fan (still a kid a heart), but that first 8 minutes of the game was fun, IMO. Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Kevin Durant and Lebron James were putting on a show. For those who watched, you are watching the most talented basketball players in world putting on an offensive clinic.

No it's not playoff basketball, it is an exhibition where no one is suppose to get hurt or even take a chance on getting hurt. Even given those rules, the jumping and slamming that was going on was more than I expected. I thought Lebron almost got hurt on one of those attempted dunks.

I also enjoyed the last five minutes of the game.

10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I think only a handful of players actually understand what the damn game is supposed to be.

Durant takes it too seriously and wants to win the MVP every time. He doesn't care if he takes 50 shots and hogs every single minute in the game, he's going to get that MVP. He would have too, if the west had won. Kobe was the same way when he was younger. They think winning All-Star MVP means something.

Some of the guys just want to get there. They want "All-Star" on their resume and they don't really care about the game.

Guys like Paul, Griffin, and LeBron understand what the game is about though..... the fans. It's supposed to be a show.

11. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    FlawBoDeeFlee!
    [video=youtube;BbU4Cb4A4-o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbU4Cb4A4-o[/video]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  12. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I still to this day have not watched an entire all star game... I highly doubt I've watched a half of it... It's literally one of the most boring things to watch... and I'm including the Super Bowl in that. :ghoti:

13. cmeese47

cmeese47 Well-Known Member

Defense leads to fouls which leads to injuries therefore no defense allowed in all star game until 5 minutes left in 4th quarter and then only if the game is close.

14. Shooter

advertising
    Fouls lead to injuries?? My God, we better outlaw fouls, then! Maybe they should call an extra foul every time a guy commits a foul.

15. The_Lillard_King

[video=youtube;F2p8fL9fxuo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=F2p8fL9fxuo[/video]

Lillard makes this video a few times including a short discussion on the bench with with CP Kobe . . . and Lillard in the middle

16. The_Lillard_King

Finally you are understanding what this event is about. :)

17. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    It was not an "offensive exhibition". It was an exhibition. Paul lobbing to Griffin while a "defender" stands flat footed and watches, like a spectator from the stands. Forget the game, they might as well just have a half-dozen balls out on the court and let players take turns shooting threes and dunking for two hours, instead of doing the same thing with only one ball. That would probably be more entertaining.

Shooter likes this.
  18. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    The only thing that makes the all star game relevant for me, is when blazers are on the west team, otherwise I'd pretty much ignore it altogether. It is what it is.

19. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Clyde Drexler's game leant itself to the style of the ASG. In fact he was the proper ASG MVP the year they gave Magic the sympathy vote instead.

I'm fine with the fact our two All Stars are stars in a team oriented style and will never be in contention for ASG MVP. I'm also fine that they didn't play much.

20. The_Lillard_King

They do that with the 3 pt contest and dunk contest . . . which many complain about too.

I understand not liking the event, I don't get the complaining. What do fans want, for players to go all out and risk injury? I know I don't want LA or Lillard doing that. It's suppose to a fun and relaxing weekend for players and fans. For players who don't go or fans who don't like the lack of effort on defense, jsut look at it as a break in the schedule.