Mike Fratello: "Blazers are a very deep team."

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shooter, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Shooter

Shooter Unanimously Great

advertising
    On the NBA TV halftime show tonight, Mike Fratello made the comment that "The Blazers are a very deep team." I mention this because I've seen a lot of complaints on this board lately about how lousy our bench is. I find it interesting that a guy like Fratello, who used to coach in the NBA, and who watches the NBA for a living, thinks we have an excellent bench. Maybe our playoff prospects are better than we think.

2. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

The last five games have been a revelation; we played 10 tonight and didn't suffer for it. Meyers looked okay! Barton and Claver were fine! Stotts has found some pieces and maybe a technique of using them in the last few games that really makes Mike F sound smart. We played deep tonight and it paid off.

3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

We have a lot of young prospects, but I will say that Wright is playing much better since he got a few starts. He actually looks like the guy we thought we signed. Barton also looks like someone we could use. I think we'll be a deep team in a couple years when guys like CJ, Leonard, Robinson, and Barton are all a little more experienced.

4. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

Our bench stepped up when the MVP went down. I have a lot more confidence in them post all-star break than I did pre. I also like that stotts was forced to go small and it really seemed to work, I hope he uses that line up a few times even when he doesn't have to. I also hope he continues to use claver and Barton because it seemed they helped defensively.

5. rasheedfan2005

I have a feeling we will let someone go like Barton and spurs will pick him up and turn him into a solid rotational guy like they did with patty and pendergraph. I got so pissed when we gave up on those 2.

6. Natebishop3

Pendergraph isn't anything to be upset about, but Patty was a really likable guy and a pretty good player as well. We could use him right now.

7. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

I think the young guys have showed us some things here of late. With LA, Meyers and TRob soon to return the challenge is now on Terry. How is he going to take this talent and distribute time among them all? A lot of them deserve to play and get decent time for their recent efforts. And I think as we start to get further into this long season, they are going to be needed And that depth and reliability willl be needed when it counts.

I think they all have shown that they all can play. I think it's great to see. I hope they continue to produce and the Coach doesnt do anything to stymie the recent progress. Learn to relax and trust Terry.

8. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

One thing I liked tonight: 10 men played. 10 men scored. Let's try more of that. More 10-player nights, maybe an 11-player night or two. Let the starters rest a bit. Be situational in your rotations (like how Barton was in until he hit that three we needed, then hustled out before he could blow it).

9. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Fratello turned a bad coaching career into an incompetent media career. He knows nothing about the Blazers and just said a few hackneyed nothings, like, "They're deep."

10. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

I honestly think the talent is deep, unproven, unseasoned and raw. It would have been nice to see Stotts put more faith in these young guys little earlier in the season. I know our record wouldn't be as good but the team as a whole would be more prepared for the playoffs.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

11. NWDJ

NWDJ Member

The Blazers need to keep all these young players since they have no draft picks for the next couple of years.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

12. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

I heard an interesting point the other day. The top 4 teams, IND, MIA, SAS and OKC, have all been together as a roster for a lengthy time. The players know how to play together they know teachers instinct, strengths and weakness`. Which is why this team should continue to cultivate its talent... The talent is there it needs experience together to take that next step.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  13. rasheedfan2005

Probably why batum Matthews and Aldridge are so good together just think once lillard and Lopez fully adjust.

I'd like to see mo Barton and claver play more together they seem to have developed good chemistry in practice.

14. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I find it interesting that when a national guy says something positive about the team it's gospel, but if it's negative then he is an idiot, and must not watch the Blazers.

Portland does have a weak bench. They have had a stretch of games against shitty opponents

15. Natebishop3

Depth doesn't necessarily mean strength or weakness. I think we have some very interesting young talent on our bench, but they're a few years away from being real key contributors. Does that mean we have a deep bench? Maybe. I guess it depends on how you want to look at it.

16. Mediocre Man

Why are you awake

17. Natebishop3

Why are YOU awake?

18. Mediocre Man

I am 2 hours less awake than you....or would that be more awake?

19. Shooter

Shooter Unanimously Great

advertising
    Uh, yes it does. No one ever describes a team as "deep " without meaning it as a compliment.

20. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

"Depth" has been a party-line for the Blazers for quite awhile, but it hasn't been true for many years.