GAME THREAD: BLAZERS @ GRIZZLIES - MARCH 11TH, 2014 - TUESDAY, 5:00 PM (PST), CSNNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Darkwebs

Darkwebs Awakened to emptiness Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

WHEN: 5:00 PM, TUESDAY, 3/11/2014

WHERE: FedExForum, Memphis, TN

[​IMG]

TV BROADCAST:
    [​IMG]

RADIO BROADCAST:
    [​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------

S T A R T E R S

[​IMG] PG [​IMG]
    DAMIAN LILLARD VS MIKE CONLEY

[​IMG] SG [​IMG]
    WES MATTHEWS VS COURTNEY LEE

[​IMG] SF [​IMG]
    NICOLAS BATUM VS TAYSHAUN PRINCE

[​IMG] PF [​IMG]
    LAMARCUS ALDRIDGE VS ZACH RANDOLPH

[​IMG] C [​IMG]
    ROBIN LOPEZ VS MARC GASOL

BENCH ROTATION

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    WILLIAMS , MCCOLLUM , WRIGHT , ROBINSON , LEONARD

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    CALATHES , ALLEN , MILLER , JOHNSON , LEUER , KOUFOS

INJURIES
    TRAIL BLAZERS
    Joel Freeland (right knee sprain) - OUT.
    GRIZZLIES
    Quincy Pondexter (tarsal navicular stress fracture, right foot) - OUT.

HEAD COACHES
    [​IMG] - VS – [​IMG]
    TERRY STOTTS----- DAVID JOERGER

:reading:BLAZERS' GAME NOTES

GO BLAZERS!!!

2. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Re: GAME THREAD: BLAZERS @ GRIZZLIES - MARCH 11TH, 2014 - TUESDAY, 5:00 PM (PST), CSN

This could be a really, really ugly game.

3. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Re: GAME THREAD: BLAZERS @ GRIZZLIES - MARCH 11TH, 2014 - TUESDAY, 5:00 PM (PST), CSN

Darky (I feel like I know you, can I call you Darky?), will you please start the Wednesday Stampede game thread, so we can watch Crabbe? Thanks.

4. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor

I like that despite all our recent road losses, we have a better record on the road than the Grizzlies do at home.

5. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
  6. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

I still can't pay $9 for a beer at the Moda Center. It's just wrong.

In my day, you could get a pizza and a 12-pack for $9.

In your day, you could get a parcel of land, basic automobile, pony keg and a handy J for that. What is this world coming to?

7. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

A little off topic but your post reminded me of something I saw on the news last night here in Boise about beers at Centurk Link Arena (where the Stampede and our minor league hockey team play)

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/03/10/3072815/centurylink-o-change-beer-cups.html

[video=youtube;94-FTyjjwBA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=94-FTyjjwBA[/video]

8. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

After not showing up in our last game vs MEM, we better come out with some fire. Use that aggression from the last two close losses to kill the Grizz.

9. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant

Is the $7 beer a rip off (off course it is but that's beside the point) or is the $4 beer a bargain? I bet they start using smaller glasses for the $4 beer

Both are a bargain compared to the "MODA" Center.

10. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Should be a tough game tonight. In terms of personnel, we only have one clear cut, significant advantage over the Grizzlies. That's starting small forward. The rest of our starters are pretty even with theirs (just going by advanced stats) and their bench is WAY better than ours.

Lillard (PER = 19.0) vs. Conley (PER = 19.7): Conley may not be an all-star, but he's having his best season and is a better defender than Lillard.

Matthews (PER = 16.2) vs. Lee (PER = 15.8): Courney Lee was a GREAT pick up for the Grizz. He gives them the 3-point shooting they lacked in their starting line-up that spreads the court for ZBo and Gasol to operate down low. With Lee in the starting line up, the Grizzlies are 20-7 (compared to 14-18 at the time of the trade).

Aldridge (PER = 21.8) vs. Randolph (PER = 17.7): Just looking at the numbers, we should have an advantage here, and we will if Aldridge has a big game, but ZBo seems to always get up to play against his old team.

Lopez (PER = 17.4) vs. Gasol (PER = 17.5): This match up is a toss up, pretty much dead even. Gasol scores a little better and is a MUCH better passer, but Lopez is a better rebounder and surprisingly is blocking more shots per game than the defending DPOY.

Batum (PER = 15.4 ) vs. Prince (PER = 8.3): We have a HUGE advantage here and NEED to exploit it. Prince is a shadow of the player he once was. His shooting percentages are absolutely abysmal and, by far, the worst of his career. Apparently, he can't even shoot FTs anymore. His .571 FT% is nearly as bad as Dwight Howard's .551. We need a big game from Batum. He should look to be aggressive on offense and be more of a scoring threat tonight. A 20+ point game from Batum would go a long way toward getting the Blazers a win tonight.

Benches: Not even close, according to hoopsstas.com, Memphis has the 3rd best bench in the NBA. Mike Miller gives them 3-point shooting. With Courtney Lee starting, Tony Allen gives them a lock down wing defender coming off the bench. And, their front office has done a GREAT job snagging productive big men at bargain basement prices. Kosta Koufos is a 7-footer who has become a perennial PER = 17 center who started 81 games for a 57-win Denver team last year and would be starting on about 80% of NBA teams this year - and they got him for $3 million a year. John Leuer and Ed Davis give them two more solid 6'10" back up bigs. Throw in James Johnson, who is having a great year, and recently acquired Beno Udrih and they have a very deep bench that has great size, a lot of experience, and tough defense. I'm definitely suffering from a case of bench envy! If this game comes down to a battle of the benches, we don't stand a chance.

So, how do we win? As mentioned, we need a big SCORING game from Batum. We also need Aldridge to step up, take his match up with ZBo personally and both out score and out rebound Zach. The other two areas where the Blazers have an advantage is, surprisingly, rebounding, and not surprisingly, 3-point shooting. We are the second best offensive rebounding team in the league, but Memphis is the 7th best defensive rebounding team. We need to hold our own on the boards and if we can get extra possessions from offensive rebounds, it will make every thing else easier.

Even with the addition of Courtney Lee, Memphis is still dead last in the league in made 3-pointers per game at 5.1. Portland is 3rd in made 3-pointers at 9.4 per game. That's a huge advantage we need to exploit. Let's hope all of Lillard, Mattews, Batum, Mo and C.J. have it dialed in tonight.

Portland also holds a big advantage in FT%. We continue to lead the league with a team FT% of .821. Memphis is a very ordinary .750 (20th in the league). Our guys need to be aggressive attacking the basket to try to get in the bonus early. If the game is close, we have a chance to win this one at the line.

I expect another close game. Hopefully, we can reverse the recent trend and pull this one out at the end.

BNM

11. DamianLillard#0

DamianLillard#0 Member

hi guys...

another close game with never giving up Blazers maybe. but we look it forward an build an 9-10 game winning streak before the playoffs.. we brought this confidence and the motivation that we can bring more than close loses and a first round elemination in the playoffs.. i hope every fuckin game , new game brings a new chance make things better, learn from the faults in the last losses.. so go to build our play on offense and defense.. so the defense looks in the last 10 games really good but the offense struggles more than at the season opening first 25-30 games.. so this is not a good sign. but we know that team bring more offense power as in the last games.. Aldridge a key for us but he struggles to much in the last games that is a huge difference for us when Aldridge plays so dumb...

12. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

I just listened to Rice and his comments that Wesley is the main scoring guy on this trip. As much as I like him as a compliment player. And if the team is relying on him to carry them. They are going to be in trouble in any game they play. This has to be on LA and maybe more so Damian

13. OneLifeToLive

Blazers have to get more out of Damian

14. DamianLillard#0

DamianLillard#0 Member

i think when Aldridge goes to assist as tough shots.. the blazers are better team we know that aldridge pick up two guys on him so we have chance to open shots at the 3 point line or a midrange jumper. but he plays too selfish , we are a team with too many unselfish players only aldridge looks at this point as a problem..

15. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

All right let's go!

16. OneLifeToLive

I don't think he's selfish. I think he plays with the flow of the team.

17. BlazerCaravan

Prince goes off for 30 tonight?

18. DamianLillard#0

DamianLillard#0 Member

i dont know.. but for me looks like so.. i have no problem with aldridge but well here we go.. with this dumb shots with 15 seconds on the clock ... why he took so many tough shots in a game ? i cant understand this..

19. BlazerCaravan

Lillard Time.

20. DamianLillard#0

DamianLillard#0 Member

that the thing i look to see from aldridge.. when they plays with the team we killed many teams in the leauge..