Changes in your "fandom" after a loss?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by julius, Mar 14, 2014.

1. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I notice that after a Blazers loss, even though I'm no where the fan I was in the late 80's and early 90's, I HATE listening to the post-game show, 5th quarter or reading anything about the game.

I almost avoid anything to do with the team, and at times, avoid this forum like it's a bucket of warm piss.

How much does losses effect you?

2. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

Not as much as the late 80's/early 90's. That was a special time in my Blazer fandom.

3. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    For me my routine comes down to three things
    1. Have I had more then three beers
    2. Was it a close nail biting loss
    3. Was it a 20 point blowout

If its 1 or 2 I will generally skip the post game show simply because I hate it, but i'll still post on the forums and watch other NBA games and listen to NBA podcasts the next day.
    If its 3 I will almost always refuse to watch anymore NBA that night turn off sportscenter and not even listen to Podcasts until around 5 to 6 p.m the next day.
    If the loss doesn't fall into 1-3 then I'll still watch anymore NBA games that are on and i'll watch sportscenter and screw around on the forums.

4. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

I handle it ok now. Back when I had the Blazers the focal point of my life. It was rough. Maybe even a lil bit of Cmeese in me.

But they are going to lose games. They ain't ever going to go 82-0. Sadly.

5. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

I don't have a specified routine like that. I just go with my general mood at the time.

6. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I drive around the neighborhood until I find a pet or small animal to run over. Once I do that I don't feel so bad about the loss.

7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Always wondered what happened to my cat

8. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Same. Why would I want to purposely subject myself to more unhappy feelings? Makes no sense. I detach and cool off until the next game.

9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I don't let losses get to me the way some folks seem to. It's like breaking a string on my guitar...an annoyance but I just stop and put a new one on. Probably had the hardest time dealing with the Felton era...if he dribbled off his foot I'd break something nearby.

10. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

None of that, because I don't bother with any of that even if we win. But a loss does make me less interested in watching the next game.

barfo

11. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Definitely this. Pretty much anytime one of my teams lose, I want nothing to do with ESPN or any other sports media outlet.

12. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

Depends on the loss. Some losses are meh and some make me feel sick about basketball. When things are going bad I just usually tune out, when I was younger I agonized over it, now Ive learned to keep an emotional distance..... for the most part. Those Dallas, Memphis and Houston losses were tough on me. Houston ruined my whole night.

13. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

I usually just change the channel if it's a sure fire loss. I still watch SportsCenter because they wont mention us but I do avoid reading the NBA bottomline part.

Now football is a different story... I ride that bitch out, feel like death and avoid any sports like the plague for 72 hours.

14. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

Meh, it sucks but life goes on. If It's due to refs I usually just hate on refs for a few hours. Call up my buddy who refs grade school and tell him he's a piece of shit for wearing zebra stripes. If its due to being outworked I get mad at the team till next game and I go full homer again as we can tell by my horrid prediction game antics of always predicting a 40 point blow out.

Moving away from oregon has detached a bit of emotion because I use to salivate over attending playoff games and I've always dreamed of an after party after a championship. Now due to budget I really couldn't afford to attend unless I it was game 7 of finals at home, I'd have to find a way at any cost.

15. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

When I was a kid during commercials I'd play on my nerf hoop. I was sheed of course and I averaged a triple triple 100pts 100rbs 100techs. Yeah they changed the tech rule cause I was so good.

16. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

How long has it taken to recoup all of those things you broke? :lol:

17. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

For me, I never watch or listen to Post games on wins or losses. I've still never seen Talkin Ball or any other crap they try to use... I find it all completely unnecessary. I can come to my own conclusions on the game, win or lose.

Usually, when we lose, I get steamed for about 10 minutes, then realize that it's really not a huge part of the grand scheme of life, and move on. As for this road trip, maybe 15 minutes. Unless I'm on this forum, then it might extend as I read some nonsense. Though, there are clearer images coming about that sounded like nonsense prior, so...

The worst loss this year was the Lakers one, though, for sure. I just hate them, and for as bad as they are this year, losing to them was just unacceptable. Also, considering that Dame muffed up that last play...

Anyway, I'll always be a fan... it really is only (a few) games. Season ain't over. Let's just make the playoffs... this team has shown they can get hot at times, who knows.

18. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

I remember being 13 on November 27 of 1990 and thinking maybe, just maybe, it was possible to go 82-0. Then we lost by 14 to Phoenix. :ghoti:

19. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

i can def get in a shit mood after a close loss, a blowout gets me in the "wtf ever this shit is stupid" mindset

20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

About 2 years..but the broken things were reassembled to make my Felton dartboard so it didn't all go to waste

Strenuus likes this.