LMA and Freeland injury updates

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Mar 21, 2014.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Stotts said Aldridge will join the Blazers on the road trip but refused to give a progress report. Said Matthews: "He looks better every day. It's between him and the staff and his body when he comes back. We're hoping for a recovery, but we want him healthy and 100 percent." … backup center Joel Freeland, out since Feb. 11 with a knee injury, said he doesn't want to come back until he is 100 percent. "Today was the first day I did anything with any movement," he said. "I'd love to get back before the end of the regular season, but I don't want any setbacks. I plan to be back for the playoffs. Anything more than that will be a bonus." … Stotts said when Aldridge returns, he'll continue to use Wright as a backup power forward. … Wright bounced back nicely from his performance against Milwaukee, in which he went 0 for 8 from the field -- 0 for 7 on 3-point attempts.

http://www.pamplinmedia.com/pt/12-sports/214696-73969-blazers-shoot-down-wizards-tackle-tough-trip

2. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Lame. I've really been liking what Robinson has been doing - I think we really need to develop him.
    Last night, I think it was halfway through the 2nd quarter Robinson grabbed a rebound and immediately started taking the ball up-court. The entire time he was looking to get the ball to a guard, but a passing lane didn't develop. As he came up-court he noticed that a lane to the hoop opened up and he took the ball coast-to-coast and nearly got an and-1, but instead ended up with two free throws. Later in the game Robinson got the ball at the top of the key, drove the lane, and shuttle-passed to Claver on the baseline - absolutely beautiful play.
    Robinson has the fundamental skills (dribbling, passing, rebounding, coordination) to be a versatile PF who can do a little bit of everything. He could be similar to the "garbageman" Z-bo that we had before we centered our team around him - but a high-flying, monster-dunking version, with better defense and passing, if worse shooting and one-on-one ability.

3. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

I would assume Robinson would be the backup C in front of Leonard. Still odd to play even more players out of position though.

4. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

And when Freeland comes back, I'm guessing he'll be the back-up PG? ;)

5. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Freeland doesn't sound very hopeful. We may not see him again this year. If we do then it will only be playoffs imo.

I know you aren't being serious but to answer it anyways I would say he is out of the rotation unless Wright bombs which I think has a good chance.

6. SlyPokerDog

I too like what Trob has shown but the biggest problem I see with him is he doesn't see himself as a Zbo like garbageman. He'll work down low for a while but then he goes away from the basket and starts throwing up those rushed turnaround jumpers. I get the feeling he sees himself still has a SF/PF hybrid who should be allowed to create his on shot away from the basket. I don't think that will ever be his game.

7. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I don't know what he thinks of himself, but based on what I know of Stotts I have to think that he's instructed to "create space" and get away from the hoop. I don't like the rushed jumpers, but he does enough other good things to offset the few jumpers he takes. And again, I think Stotts is probably saying "If you're open - shoot it." Not just to Robinson, but the entire team. Lopez isn't hesitating when he's open from 15'. And Wright isn't hesitating to pull up 4' behind the 3-point line on a secondary break. Terry seems to think that any open shot is a good shot (which, again, is contradictory to his defensive philosophy).
    Robinson is a young player and with proper coaching could be molded into a very effective PF - but it comes down to the coaches. I do think that he has the agility to slide between both F positions. I like what he's been able to do when he puts the ball on the floor. Zach could/can put the ball on the floor too - but Robinson has better ability to pass off the dribble. So I don't mind him creating for others. In fact, I want an entire team of players that can create for others. With Nic and Robinson at the forward positions we could have one of the better passing front-courts.

8. Blazer Freak

Blazer Freak Superstar in the Making

Management
    I'd posted it in another thread but my best friend ran into Joel at the Blitz in the Pearl 2 weekends ago. He talked with him for a while and at that time Joel said he was gonna be out about another 6 weeks, and that he'd probably be ready for the playoffs.

Fingers crossed, we've definitely missed him.

9. SlyPokerDog

In a bar?!? Freeland is the albino Oden! :MARIS61:

10. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

What a disgrace. He fooled us all. This whole time we thought he was a committed lad.

11. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    He's British. Of course he was at a pub. Where else would he be? ;)

12. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

a bar is a good place to find drunk sluts, duh

13. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    When he plays again, everyone should boo all game. When Canzano hears that a Blazer drinks during long-term injuries, Canzano will certainly crucify the white player.

14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

More time for Claver!

15. jlprk

retired, while you work!
  16. SlyPokerDog

17. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    With Aldridge out, we sure could use Juwan Howard right now.

18. Kaydow

Kaydow Well-Known Member

Construction Sales
  19. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
  20. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED