OT: Academy Awards top films

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by totus44, Mar 23, 2014.

1. totus44

totus44 Lord of the Dark Side

As this years top films are being released to DVD and bluray....taking advantage of the RedBox waiting for baseball season to begin.

12 Years a Slave
    American Hustle
    Captain Phillips
    Dallas Buyers Club
    Gravity
    Her
    Nebraska
    Philomena
    The Wolf of Wallstreet

Just saw Dallas Buyers Club and American Hustle up next. DBC, this longest stalled script in Hollywood history....if made in the late 90's the lead would have been played by Woody Harrelson, or in the 00's by Brad Pitt. But in the end, a Texan playing a Texan worked. Definitely a must see unless you work for the FDA. One of the better character studies in a long time.

2. Hammerojustice

Hammerojustice Chief Caveman, Keeper of Thor's Hammer

I might want to see Captain Phillips.... that's about it...

EDIT: I'd add Gravity as I'm a fan of Bullock... not so sure about DBC, but sounds somewhat interesting

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  3. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    I would like to see DBC. Looks like McConoaughy (sp?), played the Method School of Acting to a the hilt (tho' I don't think he's a by product ot the MSOA). His role reminds me alot of Christian Bales old film, "The Mechanic" or was it "The Machinist", where he lost shitloads of weight to play a drug crazed machinist. The opening scene where Bale washes his sunken to the cheek bone face, & bends over to splash his face, revealing each knot of his vertebrae in his spine. A huge intentional weight loss, under strict supervision of his Dr's. The things these guys do for Millions of Dollars....

I'd like to see American Hustle as well.....

The others don't impress me much, and I despise the story of Gravity. Working for Rockwell Space Transportation Systems Division (STSD) from 1980-90, more than ruined this fictional storyline. So much of what happens in space in this story is outright ludicrous; not based on fact, rather fiction.

Although everyone I know who has seen it, enjoyed it.

4. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

I want to see Captain Phillips & Dallas buyers club. I saw Gravity & didn't like it BUT........I was told that this is not a movie to watch on video because you lose the 3D effect & the surround sound.

A good movie I just got that you guys probably never heard of & wasn't up for any awards is a flick called HOMEFRONT with Jason Statam. Very good. I also just got but haven't watched a movie called OUT OF THE FURNANCE which everyone says is excellent. Christain Bale, Woody Harrelson.

DO NOT get ALL IS LOST with Robert Redford. Its a snooze fest & basically a silent movie. (no joke)

5. Mattingly23NY

Thanks Rick-

I've only seen trailers for HOMEFRONT, and liked what I saw.

Have you seen Jason Stathams's, (I believe) first two Movies? - (both Produced and Directed by the Brit-Guy Ritchie)-(Ritchie is best known for Directing and Producing: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, with Robert Downey Jr.)

#1-Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrells: A comedy and Brittish/Russinan Mob type Movie, a great story line, that leaves the watcher constantly in disbelief, as to who's carrying the bag of stolen goods. Just when you find out who has the bag of goods, there is always a surprise as to how they too will loose it, or re-find it. Hilarious ending too.

#2-Snatch: with Statham and Brad Pitt. Great Story of a Gypsy Bare Knuckle Fighter, played by Pitt. Pitt playing a Gypsy, is at times hard to understand, with his thick European Gypsy dialect. More-so a story of the Underworld's bookies, and Underground Prize Fights. If a fighter is killed in the make-shift ring, the promoter and big bookie "Boris the Butcher" feed them to his pigs, on his pig farm. A hilarious comedy as well.

6. Majorball

Majorball Well-Known Member

Awesome movie with Matthew and Jared deserving their Oscars. By far, for me the best movie in this years class.

7. Rick2583

Hey Frank, how the hell are you my friend?

8. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Captain Phillips was alright. Keeps the tension up well. I had a little trouble constantly cheering against the pirates when they were so ridiculously over-matched, though. Barkhad Abdi does a great job for someone who basically was a walk-on audition.

9. totus44

DBC has been my favorite thus far. American Hustle was good, but not in the same league as DBC. Captain Phillips was intense, even more so the second time watching it. I liked Gravity...I don't have any problem with suspension of disbelief. Its a fucking movie, use your imagination, lol!

The weight loss by Matt and Jared does remind you of Christian Bales role in the Machinist or Adrian Brody in the Jacket. It actually makes for a great contrast to Tom Hanks in Philadelphia....Hanks should have done the Castaway weight loss to make his character even more believable.

I didn't see too much method acting...the transition of his character through the 5 stages of grief/loss was impressive. His personal transformation and evolution of mindset through the prism of AIDS and its impact on real people was masterfully done. And the backdrop of the buyers clubs and the battle with customs, the FDA, hospitals/clinics and a Pharma pushing AZT was a timely reminder of just how devastating it can be to have govt so intertwined with healthcare. FDA fast track is still a joke. Life or death treatments (cancer, viral infections, bacterial infections, some immunological and neurological diseases should have Phase 0/1 hybrid dose/safety testing only on patient populations and no placebo. Sadly we lag the rest of the world in this regard.

Several big deviations from the real DBC, but it captured the spirit and told the story. Same goes for Captain Phillips...are that story is still unfolding in the courts.

10. blgridesagain

blgridesagain team player

You should've known better - Just keep drudging up slavery and segregation movies and they'll keep rewarding it with awards. Keep those animosities flying high...it's good for the racist husters' business.

Maybe someday...they'll include the names of all the Union Soldiers who died in the Civil War in the ending movie credits.

11. Hammerojustice

Hammerojustice Chief Caveman, Keeper of Thor's Hammer

I edited my comment above, but after reading reponses... I'd add Gravity as I'm a fan of Bullock... not so sure about DBC, but sounds somewhat interesting

12. Mattingly23NY

I thought I responded to this post, along time ago...

When Working on those Orbiter Vehicles (OV), aka Space Shuttles or Trucks. We used to literally talk amongst us, as to which fast food franchise would be first to have a drive thru in outer space: McDonald's probably they have dominated the glove with shit food....maybe a Chilis, that would be one of my choices, tho' not fast food, would have to put up a walk in space diner...No problem, they shoot horses don't they.

13. totus44

Nice to know another real rocket scientist. Witnessed a few shuttle launches at the cape. I'm also an amateur rocketeer, Tripoli and NAR level 3 certified. My specialty was minimum diameter, extreme altitude, hybrid motors and boosted darts. Took some time off, was getting very expensive and I build almost exclusively with carbon and Kevlar.

I'm guessing you were a B2 guy. Ever get near the X-47? YF-23?

14. Mattingly23NY

Yes, I am a 16 year veteran of the B2 program, from Research to Development, (Tacit Blue) to Production, then Modifications, and Depot Maintenance.

My specialty besides Quality Engineering and all QA Operations, was LOA/RCS (Low Observable Aircraft Applications-Radar Cross Sections)-Engineering, as well as Stress, Design, and Material Review of Non-Conforming Parts, plus a world of every know facet, aspects, or processes, and systems known to AC Engineering. Including Rocket Propulsion Systems, as well as solid rocket fuel compositions, to liquid, gas, and other engineering formulas for all rocket propulsion systems...including testing of such rockets, and so on an so on. Including all manned space flight systems, from egress, to oxygen, hydrogen, hydrazine, metal fatigue, and metal chemistry for design of necessary vehicle components, and structural build, incl. every system known to man to provide safe manned integration with space.

I could talk all day about the Aircraft, and Space Vehicles, til the cows come home....

I began on the L-1011's, was laid off, went down to Burbank Skunk-Works on the F-117A, before anyone new the AF had crashed 2 of them, until ships 3 and 4 were seen crashing into the Sequoia Natl Forest, on the west, then east slope of the High Sierra Nevada...(Groom Lake)....I know nothing about such a place....I didn't mention that did I.

Onward to the Space Shuttle Program, for another 12 years, and Rocket-dyne testing facility, as well as the Shuttle Rocket Engine builds in Van Nuys, and out in the Boeing Radioactive test firing site.

At the same time I was working on the X31 Rockwell-Messerschmitt , thrust vectoring AC, which only 2 prototypes were built.

I then went to Northrop ADP, on the YF-23 also years prior to the public even knowing we had it flying. The YF-23 flight test data, kicked the shit out of the YF-22-ATF, Lockheed piece of shit.That was the most political screw job, I have ever seen. The Govt. told both Northrop and Lockheed, their AC program would be awarded with a 50 percent mandatory requirement to deliver 2 prototype Aircraft on time. Northrop had the YF-23 on the Tarmac with engines running ready to fly on the given date. Lockheed however had to file for a 7 month extension, as they were not ready. Ding #1. Once Lockheed was ready, Northrop had already flown its YF-23s, for over 1,000 test hours, with but one minor defect, a leading edge contrail was given off, from a minor anomaly. It was fixed in 30 minutes, and yes, that was the only Flight Test Defect on the Superior YF-23. (I say this open minded as I worked for both companies). Once the YF-22 flew, its flight test data, was fed to my office, as well as the YF-23. (The flight test data, I received for the 22 was in 5 each six inch binders. The 23, data required but a very small 3 inch binder, for all test data, and had like I said, but one defect, so no requirement to build a library for defect documentation). The YF-23 unbeknownst to the public, kicked the shit out of the YF-22, in every flight test. The YF-22 was very problematic, and as you know both were crashed due to its computer malfunctions. The Govt. awarded the contract to the company that did NOT deliver on time or schedule, then delivered a piece of shit design which could not fly without its computers, as it is not aerodynamically sound enough to fly by wire.

The YF-23 was a superior Advanced Tactical Fighter, in every test category the Air Force threw at it. It was hilarious watching Generals scratch their heads, as the YF-23 overwhelmed the 22. The 23 was faster by 900 additional supersonic mph. It was much more stealthier of a design from the composite structures, versus Lockheed predominate metal exterior structure design. (Lockheed Stealth Engineering is living in the dark ages). The outer mole line of the 23, had much more advances stealth technologies, while Lockheed came to Edwards like grade school boys in a Advanced University Class, of which they had NO clues.
    In every known detail, the 23, was in all ways superior. However Lockheed had ZERO Major Contracts, while Northrop had the biggest payola on the B2 Program. The Billions of $$$$$$ Northrop received on the B2, enabled them to advance their LOA/RCS Engineering Program. So the 23 had 15 years of technology advancements, the 22 did not. The 22 depends on Plan-form Alignment, and exterior coatings. The 23 uses some plan form- alignment, (more-so on the B2), yet, like the B2 utilized design integration of LOA/RCS, by not just deflecting Radar, like the 22 did, and that is all the 22 used, other than those stealth coatings. Northrop used, design integration, by using composite non reflective radar materials in its structual build. Using composites, and design where Radar not only deflects, but passes over the rolling exterior of the 23 and B2. Radar if not deflected goes over those AC, or the exterior absorbs radar, rather radar, cannot ping off of composite, radar absorbent materials (RAM), or round circular exterior designs. The YF-23 uses no exterior coatings other than its TSAR paint job.

This issue literally pisses me off, since I worked on the ATF program at EAFB. Lockheed got the contract, because they would of had to go out of business, or be bought out by Northrop. The Govt. awarded the ATF to Lockheed, even tho' it could not deliver on time, then delivered 2 prototypes, that never even finished their testing, due to crashing of both AC, they did bring to the party. Lockheed has had more than its share of problems, due to having to finish flight testing on production Aircraft. Again a Govt. boondoggle, if I ever saw the most unfair progam awarded to the worst of the 2, AC, that was to be a competition in the air, and radar range. But it wasn't...

Saw time on the JSF also a piece of shit, which Northrop does all the radar and electrical systems on.
    Yes, I have worked on the JUCAV's....the X47, and a few other successors, and predecessors, and lord knows their is a world of stealth AC out there, the public still will never know about.
    Have you heard or seen the Northrop Switchblade, it does exist and has flown, tho' the public was told it would not fly until 2020..I also worked on the AD-1 with NASA, and Grumman, at EAFB, which the Switchblade used the Engineering of flight test data, and technology to design the Switchblade.

I can't say much about the X47, or the other TSAR AC I have seen behind locked doors....However let me say, there is a Diamond shaped AC, flying out of Edwards, only at night, and has retractable wings. It takes off with wings extended, then retracts them for supersonic flight..........this AC is unknown a TSAR AC, that I can say I have seen out here in the desert 3 times at night. Hey I didn't see this behind locked doors, or maybe I did, but I cannot say what I saw behind those doors, only what I saw on public domain property, out in this desert prairie, if you want to call this sandbox, windy dirt blowing desert, a prairie.

I will say, when it hits approx. 830 mph, its wings come into the body, and the AC is and looks like a diamond or a Kite. A perfect diamond.....

You've heard of Aurora?...It's a fact, not fiction...Yet,I'm not talking about that, and the diamond AC is not Aurora btw-

"Oh no I've said too much"...if the D.O.D. knocks my door down in the middle of the night, and take me in shackles to a Gulag, you will know, as I won't be around to post...!! I did sign my life away, giving the DOD, permission to do just that, as well as tap my phones at will, without my knowledge, for them to monitor my computer, or any other thing I do in life. Once your in, your fucked for life, no shit. Yet, I am only saying what is pretty much public knowledge already, yet the public is pretty dumb when it comes to TSAR AC. Obviously you are well versed in Rocket Science, no doubt, Totus....and you know these things already.

You've heard of Tacit Blue right? A B2 test bed, in the late 80s...or the hexagon, polygon, then trapezoid, and tetrahedrons, or tetrahedrederal objects flying about.......you would never believe the things I have seen, and if I told you, I wouldn't have to kill you, I would be shot myself....

Anyway, yes, it is nice to have a fellow rocket scientist in the house, touche totus, cheers....:cheers::cheers:

15. totus44

You're my hero! As a graduate of RPI, I have a lot friends that have worked in aerospace. This includes my best man who ran the high speed machining project at McD/Boeing on the F18. No question, the 23 kicks the Raptor's ass. Of course I wish we had a squadron of them to do fly bys on the Kremlin. The other lopro AC I've consumed just about everything that is in the public domain.

http://www.shadowaero.com/Images/baiga2.jpg

Here was my 2001 K-motor, hybrid class Tripoli altitude record. 54mm minimum diameter, carbon spun tube, broke mach 1.5. On a solid APCP K, broke mach 2.5 and 20k feet. That burned the paint off.

Of course when I want to freak out the neighbors I park my 1/10th scale German V2 in the driveway. It was the star of my Bachelor's Launch. Who needs strippers when you have an M-motor to rip a hole in the sky.

Rocket scientist, not even close. But I can relocate an outhouse with the best of them.

16. Mattingly23NY

I'd have to give you a lot more credit than relocating an outhouse...!!! Hell, I bet you got the technology to relocate that outhouse on Mars. Or-I bet you could design/build human waste shit-recyclers, to turn shit into pure protein, and sell it back to Japan, who is into that shit..!

Oh My Sweet Lordy.....I checked out the Pic....hell you could launch any punk who gets in your way into Space...LMFAO..! Too good, I set your pic in my screensaver, (I hope you don't mind). Your Rocket is fucking incredible, and the shit eating grin-smile says it all. If the door does get knocked down in the night, and agents come flying in with chains, and saps, AR-15s, I've got Launch Pod of a Bed Room, so they will never see me again. I will be landing on the dark side of the moon...I'm sure they will tear my computer apart, and think I'm conspiring with your ICBM program. Yet its only a screensaver, those fucking morons...

You got enough rockets to start your own WAR....I know where I am going when all hell breaks loose...your not that far away; together we could build our own Orbiter, say fuck you to Rutan's crappy Virgin Rocket. Carbon spun tube, good, Mach 1.5 and 2.5, you had to of had a big ass sonic boom, or was it a double sonic boom, (like the Orbiters/shuttles)???

Plus you've got a V2 in your driveway...!!! HaHa...that's got to freak out your neighbors, and anyone driving by, I can see them running into another car, while gawking....I agree who needs strippers, give me flying machines, that shred the skies...KABOOM...!!! Wernher von Braun would be proud of your accomplishments, in duplicating the first ICBM....(chuckle)..!! Who would you like to send some V-Rockets to as a gift? Putin-Pukin? Syria? Pakistan, now that's the ticket.....!

Man, I would love to see you send one over L.A. into the Mojave, you could park it right here, just across from Fox Field. You shoot if off, and I will recover it, park it in a Hangar across the street! Tis no different than flying in to Launch and Recover a Shuttle. Speaking of Fox Field, those Blue Angels were fucking incredible too.

Your aware of the YF-17 vs. F-18 Northrop-McDonnell-Douglas, debacle, or issue right? The YF-17s were again superior to the single engine F-16 Falcon. Especially with its twin G.E. Engines. One reason the Navy wanted the F-18's twin engines, vs. the Falcons, was due to its superior abilities in many respects, as the Navy fell in love with the dual G.E. F-414-GE-400 turbo fan engines. A ear to ear smile by a Test Pilot, (as he gets out of his AC after his test flight, and pushing the bird beyond its known envelope. Better yet, a General or Admiral or two or three or four, during flight testing, is priceless, when they see a new concept flying beyond their beliefs, or DOD requirements, which they feed to Sub-Contractors: (the turbo fan concept was also ripped off by the USA from Canada's AVRO Arrow buillt in the 50s). In case of flame outs, the Falcon is dead in the water, the Hornet keeps on a ticking. Northrop designed the F-17, of which McDonnell Douglas was sued, in court, for copyright infringements of Northrop's F-17, which became the F-18-Hornet/Super Hornet of today, as we know it. However Northrop won 51 percent of all F-18 contracts, as a result.

During my years at Northrop, not one soul ever referred to the Hornet as MckyDouglas'. It was always referred to as OUR, Northrop's, Design thru and thru. Yes, I did get to see, yet didn't do much work, just a tidbit, on the F-18'E/F models, in El Segundo and EAFB: (the bit of work we did, was just before Xmas in 95, as Consultants with McDonnell-Douglas/Boeing, at Edwards, along with Honeywell, as we- (Northrop,-keep in mind, the B2 Mega-Billion dollar jackpot, enabled that Co. to put Radar/RCS/LOA systems, into whole 'nother world, and we were forevermore, asked to constantly Consult for such systems,-reminding me of a kid in school asking the Teacher if his work is right) we did the ground work and lay out (years prior, for implementation and design/integration; software/hardware logistics of such systems as: Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar, AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR (Advanced Targeting Forward Looking InfraRed), and AN/ALQ-214 Integrated Defensive Countermeasures (IDECM). as well as the AN/ALQ-214 jammer. Of course these were built by other companies, but with Northrop Engineering's touch,layout, basic plan layouts prior to those "other" companies building and using those systems. Northrop basically brought the ball onto the field, for the others to kick around, and claim. That is what Engineering Consultants are for, pay us, and we will give you a great idea, you can call your own.

Check out this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_YF-17

Sorry to rattle on, and I warned anyone, when you get me talking Aerospace, I can do so til the cows come home.

I too agree, the YF-23 is reminiscent of the SR-71s, in the sense ol' Jack Northrop and Kelly Johnson's birds, and designs ruled the roost, light years ahead of their times...nothing right now could touch the YF-23, especially the 22. No need for bombs, or missiles, just fly one off deck 100 feet, and watch everything below explode in its supersonic wake......KABOM....!!! :cheers::smiley-handshake::drumroll:

17. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...just out of curiosity, I downloaded and burned some torrents onto DVD. American Hustle, Gravity, 12 Years a Slave, DBC, Capt Phillips, and The Wolf of WS. Thus far we have watched DBC, and The Wolf. Between the 2, DBC was much better IMO. I'm not a big DiCaprio fan.
    ...we'll watch the other 4 soon.

18. Rick2583

I liked him in Titanic, & that western with Gene Hackman but aside from that I've never gone out of my way to watch one of his movies. As far as Gravity, keep in mind that I'm told you lose a lot not seeing it in the theaters because you miss out on the 3-D, large screen & the surround sound.

19. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...ahhh, though I didn't know it was also in 3D, I do have a surround sound system...I'll be sure to turn it on when I watch it.

20. totus44