What the hell are we teaching our children?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Natebishop3, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

http://www.kptv.com/story/25067537/girl-suspended-for-shaving-head

This is so completely frustrating. Have public schools in America become the worst possible version of our society? Fear of guns. Fear of conflict. Fear of expression.

What the hell kind of message are we teaching our children when we suspend them for shaving their head, when we suspend them for wearing an American flag on their shirt, when we suspend them for pretending their hand is a gun or drawing a ninja?

I do not have kids yet, but I'm honestly contemplating an alternative to public schools because I'm afraid of what they're teaching our kids.

I know we have some parents on this board. What do you guys think?

2. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
  3. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

Charter Schools, Private Schools, and home schooling are the way to go.

4. Natebishop3

I just want to know why nobody is putting a stop to this shit. The school board is elected. School funding comes from government. Start firing these people.

5. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

Good luck with that.

6. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Unions?

7. porkchopexpress

porkchopexpress Well-Known Member

How are public schools to blame for the asinine dress code at a charter school? It's even in the quote in the OP.

Eastoff likes this.
  8. Natebishop3

Do I need to link the many other instances of this kind of shit happening in public schools? It's a trend. It's schools in general.

9. Natebishop3

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...suspended-making-gun-finger-article-1.1710246

http://news.softpedia.com/news/8-Ye...rawing-Star-Wars-Character-Ninja-397353.shtml

http://nationalreport.net/9-year-old-suspended-saying-merry-christmas-teacher/

It goes on and on and on.

10. porkchopexpress

Ah. Any excuse to shit on gov and public schools, I guess. More like the trend is in society, and you only choose to blame/highlight public schools.

11. Natebishop3

Okay, so rather than admit that there is a problem in this country, you'd rather argue over semantics? Cool bro.

Do you want me to keep linking stories?

12. Natebishop3

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/living/6-year-old-suspended-kissing-girl/

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/03/1...nt-shane-kinney-suspended-wearing-nra-t-shirt

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...an-flag-shirts-cinco-de-mayo-article-1.445082

13. porkchopexpress

Um, problem in this country, yes. It's not semantics when the story is about the dress code at a CHARTER school, your quote has CHARTER school in it and yet you blame public schools, say if you had kids you'd contemplate an alternative to public schools, Hobb's solution is that CHARTER schools are the way to go and El Prez blames unions. Yeah, semantics.

14. porkchopexpress

15. Natebishop3

Okay, so rather than acknowledge that there is a problem, you're standing there screaming about the fact that I only mentioned public schools? Seriously, get over your political bullshit and recognize that there's going to be an entire generation of kids coming down the pipe that are afraid to express themselves, afraid of offending people, and afraid of pissing off the leadership. I don't give a shit if it's public, charter, or what. It's a symptom of a bigger problem. Society has become all about fear, but the schools are just the worst embodiment of it. When we're suspending six, seven, or eight year olds because of a shirt they wear or a picture they draw, what the hell are we telling them?

Seriously, put aside your political beliefs for a minute and actually look at the big picture. Good grief.

16. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

We should have children log into the forum and we can educate them here.

17. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

You have to admit it was a little odd that your original post was about a charter school and then you launch into a rant about public schools. If you wanted to talk about how badly public schools suck why didn't you just use one of the examples you later provided to start the thread with?

18. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    umm, I was about to get worked up right along with you, until I read it was a charter school with a dress code. I support dress codes. I am sort of surprise to see the dress code addresses this issue. Perhaps some consideration would be in order.

Eastoff likes this.
  19. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Big picture . . . kids need structure and I am all for schools that don't mess around.

I can tell you don't have kid Nate. Because if you go to a public school and watch kids on a daily basis, the least thing you would be concerned about is kids afraid to express themselves, offending other people or afraid of pissing of leadership. Kids will push their limits and personally the more discipline the better in my book. (My friend's 10 yr old daughter just got spit on during recess and school took no action)

I know their are parents who like to talk about their kids constitutional rights and the unfairness of the school system. Some parents even take action and sue the school and teach to fight the system.

I guess every parent will have to teach their kids their own personal values, but for me it is a respect your elders and the schools and teachers are always given the presumption of being right.

Personally,I prefer private schools because I believe they are more strict and aren't afraid to take action against kids over perceived misbehavior. Kids these days feel empowered enough, nothing wrong with a school humbling a child or keeping them in check. . . but again this comes down to how people want to parent their kids.

20. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    If there's one thing Sly knows, it's going to a public school and watching kids on a daily basis.

Wheels likes this.