College coaches in this year's tournament

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PtldPlatypus, Mar 28, 2014.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

With the recent "Should Stotts be retained?" discussion, I was wondering if there were any college coaches out there that you guys think would be better options than what we currently have.
    • Both Millers (Sean at Arizona, Archie at Dayton) seem to have stars on the rise;
    • Seth Davis was just on the Dan Patrick show singing Fred Hoiberg's praises as a guy destined to be an excellent NBA head coach;
    • Billy Donovan is still just 48, and has been hugely successful at Florida;
    • Tony Bennett is praised as one of the best coaching minds around, and has won at both Washington State and Virginia, of all places;
    • Gregg Marshall is everybody's darling after coaching Wichita State to a 35-0 record before losing to Kentucky in the best game of the year;
    • Tommy Amaker has done an amazing job at Harvard; is he ready to make a jump?

I'm sure there are others, but those are just off the top of my head. So, is looking at college guys just asking for another Tim Floyd situation, or would we be well-served to ditch our coach who has been somewhat successful, but really doesn't seem to be "THE" guy, in favor of someone who maybe has the potential to be something special?

2. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I don't follow NCAA but my philosophy when it comes to coaching changes is: if your current coach isn't terrific (and your team isn't contending) then always chase the potential for greatness. You never know where the next Popovich will come from, but if you stick with Terry Stotts you assure yourself of never obtaining a Popovich.