Meyers Leonard as a stretch 4

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Blazer4ever, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    I think if you play him alongside Claver and Robinson you keep him on the perimeter defensively he could be useful.

2. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

If his outside jumper extends to the three point line (for reals, not just in training camp), then he'd be worth having around as a Channing Frye type player.

3. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

I think he will be better used as a trade piece for a low first round pick at the draft... (Maybe the Heat pick?)

4. BlazerCaravan

I'm still hopeful that such a purchase would be ahead of the pick we give Charlotte. :ghoti:

5. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

We can hope haha but looking at projected draft order... We would be lucky to get a late 1st/Early 2nd for the hairpiece that is Meyers Leonard.

6. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Keep Meyers and be patient. Joel P., RoLo and Asik are all recent examples of big men who just took some time to find their game. Meyers has a lot of talent and athletic ability. I say hold and wait. Perferct picture is you re-sign him after his rookie contract for something reasonable and then he blows up.

7. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I agree completely. Even though Meyers may in fact amount to ziltch, there is no reason to give up on him this early. The Blazers knew he was a project when they drafted him. Thank god Blazers management is more level-headed than the posters on this board. S2 would have fired the coach three weeks ago, and would trade every single player after their third bad game.

8. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    We should keep him just for his hands. How many guys his size have that soft a touch around the hoop?

9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I've said all along the Leonard is a natural PF. The kid has a nice shot. He's still a year or two from coming into being a solid rotation player but he runs like a deer and shoots from distance. Dirk was a horrible defender for a 7 footer. Meyers is cheap insurance for the future, with the CBA it's not easy to find a 7'1 inch guy with his skillset. He's just a sophmore and he's strong. 3rd stringer this season but he hasn't increased his trade value so I don't see moving him in the offseason. I expect him to get some real coaching this summer and improve. He knows he lost his job to Freeland after Joel worked hard last summer. Time will tell. I don't think you trade a 7 foot young guy who doesn't cost much to keep for insurance if nothing else.

10. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

Those guys you mentioned all have a mean streak. I just see Meyers as laid back and not really willing to do the dirty work. He reminds me of Hasheem Thabeet.

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Hasheem Thabeet has a jump shot? Makes 3pt shots? Is fast and a good freethrow shooter? I think that comparison is quite a stretch. Meyers is also about 22?

12. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

Not speaking skillset wise. They both just look awkward out there and hesitant. Some players just don't put all their God given ability to task and I believe Meyers is one of those guys... It's just weird to me to see a 7'1 250 pound man with that athletic ability not be a pretty good defender at the very least.

13. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I disagree with the notion that Meyers won't mix it up with guys. Remember the game earlier in the year when he took exception to someone giving him a little shot, and immediately upon establishing position at the other end of the floor he literally threw the guy down on the floor WWF style (and took a major shot in the jaw for it). I don't think he's "mean", but I think he can learn to be assertive.

14. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Agree with you and most posters in this thread. I don't see him ever developing into a rim protecting 5 but with a developed skillset he could become a weapon at the 4. See him like LMA in a way, a good one on one defender but lousy on help D.

15. BlazerCaravan

I still think Kim Hughes is trying some Mr Miyagi shit on Nards by making him spend an entire year defending with his arms straight up, not attempting a block at all, just so he stays out of foul trouble long enough to play 8 minutes. Next year, Meyers might be ready to try and block shots again.

16. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    Meyers was drafted as a project big man. Portland knew going into it we'd have to invest 2-3 years into him before we even knew if we had anything. Right now he's a stretch to consider an NBA player. However, he's getting fewer minutes this year because the team is so much better, not because he's regressed.

17. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

How about Leonard at SF for short spurts? You could really beef up the lineup with that.

18. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

I would love to see a rule change that you have to stay in college for a minimum of 2 years. College hoop has suffered greatly with the one and done and the NBA shouldn't have to be taking on projects like Leonard paying millions to see if he develops into an NBA player. I have hopes for Leonard but he has a long way to go.

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Pretty sure Meyers played 2years in Illinois

20. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    The bench is terrible and he can't make the rotation. It's not obvious he hasn't regressed. He'll get another year so we'll see. I agree with you that he's not an NBA player, which is why I don't know why he wasn't sent down to the D-League for their whole season.