Well, what Center do you want?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Prue, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Prue

Prue Member

A few threads around here with various chatter about the position has me asking the question: For next year, what backup center do you want?

There has been some interesting chatter here about boo-Pau, and I dont think Portland would ever really get him for the money he would take (I KNOW he said money isn't first, wining is...but ~5 mil to come off the bench I don't think bags him.) Combine this talk with a fairly mutual discussion over the 'raw-ness' of Meyers (I swear last nights NOP game he looked scared out there at one point) and with no updates on Joel 2.0...We might could use a center.

Spencer Hawes is an interesting choice and one I wouldn't mind seeing. He's not an enforcer...he could spend the off season in the gym and gain 15-20 lbs of ripped-city for sure...but he could come in for the second unit and cause all sorts of damage with our guys. This would be the "We need more point production from our bench" sorta choice.
    PRO
    • He can legit shoot the 3-ball as a Center
    • He's got a ok back to the basket post-up game
    • He runs the floor faster than most 7 footers

CON
    • He's not very agressive on Defense
    • He likes to roll away instead of stand firm from driving players

Otherwise if we go the other way, and we say our bench next year will get plenty of point production then we get someone more defensive minded for when Robin sits out. Marcin Gortat would be a good option here.
    PRO
    • The guy is quick, can run back at pace
    • Very good shot blocker
    • Would be the best rebounder on the 2nd unit by far

CON
    • Not going to bring him in for offense
    • I think costs to much to make deal plausible

2. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

IMO another consideration would have to be Okafor, if he fully recovers from groin injury would be a nice backup and possibly in our price range

illmatic99 likes this.
  3. Blazinaway

Picked this post up from another board, it covers the FA C's well"

"Andray Blatche
    Dante Cunningham
    Ed Davis
    Jordan Hill
    Kris Humphries
    Mike Scott
    Ryan Hollins
    Chris Kaman
    Nazr Mohammed
    Lavoy Allen
    Gustavo Ayon
    Spencer Hawes
    Josh McRoberts
    Emeka Okafor
    Jason Smith

obviously, weeding by defenders ratchets the list down in a hurry. Okafor is clearly the best defender, but he's missed a full season from injury and would likely want more then the MLE

Jordan Hill, IMO, is the best of the rest defensively and he's a strong rebounder as well. He can play either PF or C too. Ed Davis appears to be a good defender

Josh McRoberts is versatile and a great passer. Decent defender and viable 3pt shooter. Average rebounder and has a PO so he might not become UFA

Kris Humphries is a decent defender and a physical presence. Stong rebounder as well"

4. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Great suggestion

I don't care about offense from the backup big. With TRob coming along nicely on the P&R game, and CJ hopefully better, we should be okay on scoring. I want a guy who can protect the rim. He can also play alongside LA or RoLo if needed. Okafor would be the perfect target.

5. Prue

Prue Member

Yeah no there are a LOT of considerations out there for sure, and Okafor would be one worth looking into...I just don't see them letting him get away though. Out all season with injury...he's still going to want bigger money than I think we can afford though.

6. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

7. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

How about Joel Freeland? A little undersized, but plays straight up well, rebounds offensively very well, and has soft hands for a big man. Good at passing out of the key. Doesn't have a huge offensive game, but is good out to 15 feet and can can the odd wide-open jumper.

8. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

lol it's like I didn't see the forest through the trees. Joel was very good to start the season. Kinda forgot about him.

9. Blazinaway

Think about it, Okafor will be 32 when next season starts and is coming off a big injury, Phoenix has Plumlee and Len and a lot of draft picks - I have to think Okafor is not in their plans and he will be a UFA

10. Blazinaway

I think it highly unlikely he comes to Portland, but one can never say their is zero chance

11. Blazinaway

even with Joel I'd like to have another solid vet big and get rid of Meyers

12. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Both Hawes and Gortat will make too much money to be back-up centers.

13. Blazinaway

agree

14. Prue

Prue Member

I mean they are right there for sure...Hawes I think is cheaper to get than Gortat would be but in part it would be based more on WHERE they would WANT to play. One one hope Portland is an attractive option. I guess it really begs the question on what are you willing to 'let go' in order to secure a 'solid' backup Center. Lets say Blazers make it out of the first round. If we drop in the 2nd round and the middle/defense was our weakness (as it has been at times) then for next year do we get aggressive with trying to be outside-contenders for the WCF? Do we let Meyers and Joel go to do a trade like this? Do we let Wright go too? Victor?. Earl is already gone so there is a little space there gained....I dunno. I'm not a money guy so I have no clue what it takes to secure a player but I'm willing to sacrifice the right people to make us stronger for the now + long term.

15. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Either of those guys would be a nice option, but the problem is that Lopez is going to get paid after next year, and I'm not sure having ~$20m tied up at the center position is the best move if Stotts continues to be the coach. He doesn't really utilize that position, and Hawes, for one, probably would feel like his talents are being restricted. The Blazers are lucky in that Lopez seems content to be a 'glue' guy, but the reality is he could probably have a larger role on another team, as could Hawes and Gortat. Lopez shoots FTs very well, has a passable 15' shot, and seems to be developing some moves both in the post and off of the pick and roll.

I have a feeling that Leonard/Freeland will again be the back-ups, primarily because they are both still on rookie contracts, and the MLE can be used to get some more scoring from the bench from a wing.

16. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    He has a neck injury, no? Herniated disk if I remember correctly. He may never play again.

17. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I like that Joel Freeland kid. I'll stick with him.

18. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Me too obvs, but I agree with Papa: we can also get a vet center and let Meyers grow in peace.

19. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

How do you grow without PT?

20. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I like Hawes because I think he could swing between both frontcourt positions.