Anthony Praises Thibodeau's Coaching, Compares System To Popovich

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by truebluefan, Apr 13, 2014.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Carmelo Anthony has reportedly inquired a Chicago Bulls' player about what it is like to play for Tom Thibodeau, and the New York Knicks' star praised Thibodeau ahead of Sunday's matchup.

Anthony was asked how the Bulls are consistently competitive despite losing key players in Derrick Rose and Luol Deng.

“I have no clue. Thibs is a great coach, his system kind of reminds me of Gregg Popovich’s system," Anthony said.

“You put anybody in that system and it’s going to work. That’s what they’ve been doing. They’ve had guys sitting out all season long, guys that’s been in and out of the lineups and they seem to get it done.”

The Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers are expected to be potential suitors for Anthony, who has said he hopes to remain with the Knicks.

Partial source http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ibodeaus-Coaching-Compares-System-To-Popovich
    Read more http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...uires-bulls-coach-thibodeau-article-1.1754800

2. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

I don't agree with Anthony that everybody is good in Thib's system but you know who'd be perfect? Carmelo Anthony.

The magic formula for Thibs teams is (i) two bigs who run around 6'10 height/7'4" wingspan who are quick enough to switch on to guards; (ii) two wings are strong enough and long enough to switch on to bigs; and (iii) a lightening quick point guard.

I was watching Dunleavy during the Pistons game -- in most systems he's a bad defender but in Thibs' system he's a way above average asset. Dunleavy isn't quick and strong enough to shut a guy down in man coverage but you put him in these sets and he can rotate on to anyone.

Carmelo Anthony is the same way, except Carmelo may even be a little bit stronger. He'd flourish on defense in Thibs' systems and I'm sure they could find something to do with him on offense.

3. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I agree with your comment