Favorite food carts?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by PDXFonz, Apr 15, 2014.

1. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I've been into the food art scene for a few years now. Been to a handful of them on alder along with others scattered across the city.

I have 2 very distinct favorites. The first is a place at cartlandia on 82nd called the good and evil wrap co. The owners are huge blazers fans, so I feel justified giving them my support. They've got a 'rip city wrap' which has blackened steak with jalapeño aioli and pepper jack cheese along with tomatoes, lettuce, and onions.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-good-and-evil-wrap-co-portland

The best tasting and most creative food cart I've been to is easily PB&J grilled. I go to the one at cartopia located on Hawthorne by jaras Ethiopian restaurant(which I've been going to since I was 5). They have creative pbj sandwiches with house made nut butters and jams. My favorite is their Thai pbj which has curry, basil, peanut butter and orange marmalade.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/pbjs-grilled-portland

I keep meaning to go to big assed sandwiches, but never feel like I can get myself to eat that many calories.

I also want to go to koi fusion.

Anywhere else I need to check out?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  2. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

I'm not local, so I don't get to try a lot.

I liked Portland Masala on 9th and Washington. Just the butter chicken, it hits all the notes I like. Only had it once though, but it was pretty damned good.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/portland-masala-portland-2

I hit up Nong's. It was ok, pretty solid but didn't knock me off my feet. Just a solid asian meal. Something I'd expect to find at a hawker stand in Singapore.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/nongs-khao-man-gai-portland

The Big Egg I went to. It was pretty good I guess but took 45 fucking minutes to make and I was running late. Took longer than they said. The fuck.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-big-egg-portland

I had a positive experience as well at Altengartz, the German food pod. Nice sausage on a cold rainy day in PDX. Struedel was nice as well.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/altengartz-portland

Pine State in the PSU farmer's market is probably my favorite though.

3. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I'll have to check those out. Altengartz is with the pods on alder and I've passed by it many times without trying it. As far as German food in pdx goes - I really like this place called Otto and Anita's. It's located in multnomah village and is run by a German couple who immigrated here from Germany. They have a desert that is made out of flowers found in the Black Forest( I believe it is called waldmeister). It is an ice cream that tastes exactly like lucky charm marshmallows, one of the best and most unique deserts I've had. They also have some great dill pickle soup.

I looked at your Instagram, where would you say the best place to get Korean BBQ in pdx is? Do you have much experience with dim sum? My first experience with dim sum was in D.C. I tried a place called wongs king on division but it didn't measure up to the dim sum I ate in D.C. Likewise the Ethiopian food in D.C is fantastic much better than Queen of Sheba and jarras, the food diversity over there is outstanding.

I love watching food network and it seems that there are a lot of great carts in LA. There is a grilled cheese cart that is fairly popular that I would love to try if I'm ever down in LAX.

Ps- have you ever been to titos tacos in culver city? That place is amazing! It rivals, and probably beats out the original taco house here in pdx.

4. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

I've only eaten at DJK in Beaverton. It wasn't very memorable. LA having probably the best Korean food outside of Korea, I don't have that much of a desire to check it out when I'm visiting Portland. I go to Dim Sum like once a month out here. In Portland, we just usually go to Jin Wah (Beaverton, again) which is ok. LA again probably has the best dim sum in the US (Its probably a little better out in Vancouver/Richmond B.C.).

The thing about LA food trucks is that the people really don't know how to cook that well outside of the awesome Taco trucks we have. Its people with more marketing than culinary background and the prices are expensive. LA has pretty cheap eats in general and I don't find the Food Trucks that good, I think Portland overall has better quality, price and diversity. I do like that Grilled Cheese Truck as well as the Kogi Korean Taco truck, which was the inspiration for Koi Fusion.

I live about 10-15 min from Titos. I love it, its shockingly inauthentic gringo food but the salsa is like crack. A lot of people don't like it but it takes getting used to and you start craving it big time. I'm also a food network junkie and when traveling try to hit up places I see on there (or where Anthony Bourdain goes).

5. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

I'm not much for food carts, but PB&J's is pretty rad. Tried their masterpieces at IPNC one year, and they are the bomb. They now have a cart on NW 23rd, so if I'm strolling there with one (or both) of my kids, I get them a basic sammie, and something good for myself.

Otherwise, the only street carts I have legit interest in are serving street tacos.