Aldridge looks & sounds different before playoffs, 'I want to be more dominant'

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Apr 15, 2014.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

By Jason Quick | jquick@oregonian.com
    Follow on Twitter
    on April 15, 2014 at 5:40 PM, updated April 15, 2014 at 6:04 PM

If anyone is looking for an encouraging sign for the Trail Blazers’ playoff chances against Houston, listen to what happened Tuesday after the team’s final practice of the regular season.

Well after the Blazers had a particularly long practice spent working on strategies the team will employ against the Rockets, LaMarcus Aldridge remained on the court, fine tuning his game.

Among the points of emphasis in the more than 30-minute extra workout, Aldridge practiced his shot from the right side of the court, a side from which he usually rarely shots. And he worked extensively on his free throws, a skill that throughout his career has haunted him in late-game situations.

But it wasn’t so much what Aldridge did Tuesday after practice as much as what he said about this playoff matchup, his fourth as a pro.
    “I definitely want to be better this year,’’ Aldridge said. “I want to be more dominant.’’

It’s not shocking, nor newsworthy, that Aldridge wants to be dominant. He should. He’s paid handsomely to do so, and it’s part of the job description that comes with being a franchise cornerstone.
    What’s different here is this is the first time I’ve seen and heard Aldridge take ownership of his responsibility, and embrace it.

In his first three playoff series – against Houston in 2009, Phoenix in 2010 and Dallas in 2011 – Aldridge has been a hit-and-miss crapshoot. He had seven points and three rebounds in Game 1 against Houston, before responding with 27 points and 12 rebounds in Game 2. Against Phoenix, he shot 38 percent throughout the first three games of the series before breaking out with 31 points and 11 rebounds in Game 4.

And against Dallas, in the pivotal Game 5, he was lost in the shuffle, finishing with 12 points and 9 rebounds.

It can be argued that in all three series, he lost his head-to-head matchup, with Luis Scola, Amare Stoudemire and Dirk Nowitzki outplaying him over the course of the series.
    That can’t happen again. And neither can the on-again-off-again pattern of his previous playoff series.

In this series, against the Rockets, Aldridge not only has to be better than Terrence Jones, he has to dominate. On both ends of the court.

The playoffs are a time when legends are made. When players make a name for themselves. Brandon Roy only lasted only five seasons, but he is forever etched in Blazers lore for his playoff heroism that ranged from playing hurt, to scoring 42 points to leading an improbable comeback.

Doesn’t it feel time for Aldridge to join this franchise’s rich playoff history? Nobody’s asking him to cozy next to Walton and Lucas, but how about something along the lines of Scottie Pippen’s series-clinching three-pointer against Utah in 2000? Or Terry Porter’s 36 points in Game 7 against San Antonio in 1990? At this point, I’d take a memorable scene, like Buck Williams tossing the ball into the air and being dogpiled after winning the 1990 West crown in Phoenix.

At the very least, it’s time for Aldridge to show that he is indeed a franchise player. It’s time to show that in the playoffs he can make the big shot, make the important defensive play, and force the opponent to adjust to him.

This will be Aldridge’s fourth career playoff series, and for the third time Aldridge and the Blazers will be underdogs. On Tuesday, Aldridge didn’t sound, nor look like an underdog, and he acknowledged that his approach is different.

“It’s different because I’ve been there,’’ Aldridge said. “I know that every game is going to be physical. Every possession is going to count. Every play is going to be tough to run because everybody knows everybody’s plays, so I think just being there three years already gives me that mentality to be ready.’’

After his first career playoff game, the one in which he had seven points and three rebounds while Scola pump-faked and jab stepped his way to 19 points and eight rebounds, Aldridge admitted to being out of his element. The enormity of the stage got to him.

Against Phoenix, he was frustrated by the Suns’ double teams, which were easier to throw at Aldridge because Brandon Roy missed the first three games recovering from knee surgery.

And against Dallas, the Blazers and Aldridge never got comfortable against the Mavericks’ zone defense.

It became part of the frustrating maturation of Aldridge: There was always an excuse or reason why he wasn’t doing more, and doing it more often.

This season, it appears Aldridge has come into his own as a player, and he has been more comfortable inside his own skin, both changes he attributes to merely getting older and wiser.

So perhaps it only figures that he was the last to leave the practice floor Tuesday. He knows what he needs to do to prepare, and he has the confidence nothing will catch him off guard.

“I don’t think it’s surprising anymore,’’ Aldridge said. “I think I know what to look forward to.’’

So he said he will begin watching film of the Rockets, analyzing where his shots came from, and how he can master those shots. His post-practice workout, which included him taking what for him are non-traditional shots, perhaps showed an anticipation of Houston funneling him out of his bread-and-butter spot on the left block.

Not that Aldridge was about to reveal anything about his game plan or the strategies the Blazers worked on.

“Can’t tell you that. It’s a secret,’’ he said with a smile. “Next thing you know it’s in the papers and everybody knows.’’

It’s a mystery, too, what the Rockets will do in defending Aldridge. They’ve tried a little of everything, and a little bit of everyone, all with little success.

“That’s going to be interesting. Because they have done things differently every game … so we will see,’’ Aldridge said.

In four games against the Rockets this season, Aldridge is averaging 26.8 points and 15.5 rebounds. However, he has made only 44.6 percent of his shots, and the Rockets have won three of the four meetings.
    It’s why his impact has to extend beyond his scoring. It’s the playoffs, and time for Aldridge to sacrifice his body more on defense. This season, Aldridge’s defensive forte has been to slap for steals when his man lowers the ball below the waist. There has been very little effort to slide over and offer help defense, and almost no willingness to stand in and take a charge.

That has to change in this series. We will know if Aldridge is indeed locked in to playing defense if he takes a charge or challenges shots at the rim. And unlike the playoff series from years past, Aldridge needs to win his matchup, rendering Jones moot.

“The playoffs comes down to one-on-one matchups, guys making plays,’’ Aldridge said. “That’s what the playoffs is about. I think Brandon Roy showed that when he went off and had that crazy game against Dallas – an individual performance gave us that win. So I think guarding one-on-one will be big for us.’’

And how would he rate his defense this season?

“I feel like the team has definitely been better when I’m on the floor, and that’s what matters to me,’’ Aldridge said.

Now, more than any other during his time in Portland, it’s time for Aldridge to not only make this team better, but make them better over the course of a playoff series.

From Aldridge, there were encouraging sights and sounds Tuesday. But as he knows, the playoffs are not about words or practice moves. It’s about production and results. Still, you couldn’t help raise an eyebrow to what he was saying.

“I feel like this team has a good chance to win,’’ Aldridge said.

--Jason Quick

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2014/04/quick_lamarcus_aldridge_looks_and_sounds_different.html

2. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Yet again, Sly, the biggest Quick fan on the board, tries to force us to read an article on which we refuse to click.

Judging from the thread title, my reaction is

Words.

Quick always judges players by their words, not their deeds on court, because he's incompetent at that. I'm not going to read it.

3. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

As long as that means he is also efficient.

Some people like to dominate and really what they are doing is chucking. I don't think we will have this issue with LMA but worth mentioning.

4. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
  5. SlyPokerDog

Heh heh.

6. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    I have it on good authority that Sly actually IS JQ in disguise.

7. ebott

ebott Active Member

Nothing is more dominant than posting the entire article.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  8. SlyPokerDog

LOL!

Rep'd!

9. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

If LA is the Pre Feb 1st LA, Blazers could make the it very interesting. LA and how he executed up until that time was in MVP contention and Portland was winning 70% of their game. I think the rest of the team will follow and could end up playing with a chip on their shoulder which I think they need to.

10. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Blah blah. Doesn't mean jack.

11. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    LA is not only going to have to score, but he's going to have to rebound like a mofo.

12. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Yep. Rolo and Freeland are going to have to seal off Howard, and LaMarcus, Nico and TRob are going to have to have a nose for the rebound.

13. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Double edged sword imo. While I love the determination by la and how big it can be, I hope it is being done with the right mentality. Hopefully he's practicing these things in confidence, and not due to fear because of past difficulties (such as his ft problems in big situations)

I subscribe to the thought that playoffs are as much(maybe more) about mental strength as they are about skill. That is why I would never doubt Lillard, and I'm not worried about it being his first playoffs... It's the reason roy was able to come back off of numerous injuries and still light teams up in the playoffs. It's why nobody wanted to play Sheed in the playoffs, and it's ehy he won a championship in Detroit.

We've seen la grow in his leadership roles a lot over the year, and hopefully that has helped build his readiness to be 'the guy' in the playoffs. If he is truly ready to accept that role then we as a franchise are ready to usher in a new era in blazers basketball.

I can't be too critical of how he phrased his words, but ultimately I'd love to hear him say "I'm going to be" rather than "I want to be", because he can want it as much as he wants, the opportunity is there and no one is saying he can't be more dominant...that is up to him.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  14. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

It took Cliff Robinson years to not be worthless in crunch time in the playoffs. Hopefully LMA can settle down and get in the paint and tear shit up. I just remember guys like Doug Christie who had talent but would break backboards with the bricks he threw up come crunch time.

Players like that are worthless to me.

15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This is the season LaMarcus became a leader, this is his post season to have an impact and will this team to deep playoff berths. I'm thoroughly impressed with the man and his work ethic. I still think this is one of my favorite versions of the Blazers all time if not my favorite.

16. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I couldn't agree more. There is just something about this team that makes me excited about playoffs.

17. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Agreed. Didn't LMA go off for like 30/25 in a win over Houston on national TV?

18. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Next your going to say that Aldridge will give the Blazers a hometown discount come contract time.

19. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

I'm supposed to read all that? Not to mention, quick wrote it???

20. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

As long as the Blazers don't get blown off the court like they did at times in the 2010 series vs phoenix I don't really care what they do.
    Biggest factor this year is everyone believes Portland should make a serious run at the 2nd round at least... Which honestly? that's doubtful imo.
    Blazers goal for this year was to make the playoffs. Simple, next year? yeah goals are higher. But to me? the goal is to look like you belong in the playoffs, basketball has a hill teams have to climb to get to elite status. This Blazers team has had an amazing season and I've enjoyed every minute of it. But to be a realist.. The Blazers lose to Huston 4-2. Saddening, but I hope and pray I'm wrong.
    Do I want to see Aldridge play like the best playing on the court? yes. Do I think he has the talent to be that guy? yes. Do I think he will? in games, but not for the series. Next year I wouldn't be surprised to see the Blazers in the WCF. But this year? I'm just happy they're in the dance.

But even if he doesn't play like the best player on the court.. Still means he's the Face of the franchise. And deserves to be paid like it. Takes NOTHING away from this season he's led the Blazers to. Because Everyone saw how "good" the Blazers offense was without him......
    8-1 since returning from injury.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014