My apologies if I've mentioned this before....

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Rick2583, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

I'm not trying to down play what Jackie Robinson has meant to the game of baseball but I can't help but wonder how the family of the man that came up only 51 days later feels. I'm talking about the 1st black to play in the american league. Larry Doby. I mean 51 days. And yet most people if you mentioned his name would simply respond with, "Who?". And Doby had himself a pretty good career.

Just saying.

2. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...I've pointed out the same thing before and some people took it the wrong way.

3. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    IMO Larry Doby was the most un-heradled player of his era, as to much press infatuation went to Robinson. Not saying Jackie wasn't top news in his day, and he was a great collegiate athlete at UCLA prior to MLB. Rickey knew Robinson's time in college sports had tempered him as the one who was already exposed to the presses.

However, IMO it was players like Doby, Josh Gibson, Satchell Paige, Mays, Aaron, Campanella, and tons of others who paved the road longer and moreso. Robinson was a figurehead of men coming in from the Negro Leagues. A figurehead, and a great player, tho' there were much better than Jackie.

Gibson could of maybe chased Ruth for a HR title on more than one occasion, had he played all his career in MLB and not the Negor Leagues. Robinson gets so over hyped, its a SHAME the world has to focus on ONE MAN, which often relegates the others to a life of obscurity. A shame IMO.

why would MLB dedicate so much attention to Robinson and not all the others. I say elimintate JR day, and institute advent of ALL NEGRO LEAGUE PLAYERS EQUALLY........ a shame IMO, Robinson was but one spoke in a much bigger wheel. It doesn't surprise me our sensationalized media to often gets it wrong and is blinded by a story, that is incomplete.

Hail to Marianno Rivera, the greatest MLB player to ever wear the number 42.

Sorry JR fans, MO' is the KING not JR. forever hold your peace, MO using an analogy broke many more bats, than Jackie stole home bases, or even had a short term effect on the game. MO' dominated for two decades, Jackie 10 yrs, if that. BFB..!!! Take it to the bank.

MO is King of #42 and forever will be. Shit fire and save matches.

4. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...I'd like to know exactly what separates JR's "courage" from others...was Kenny Washington any less courageous?...Was Branch Ricky or Bill Veeck any less courageous?...How about Doby's and JR's forward thinking teammates, Pee Wee Reese and Bob Feller?...they both had to go against the grain and risk alienating their teammates.

...I just don't see the need to point to Jackie Robinson every year and revisit something that happened 65 years ago.

...and like I said earlier, I'm sure there will be some who take this the wrong way.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  5. Rick2583

Bill Russell of the Boston Celtics (1956-1969) was the 1st black man to EVER manage or coach a professional sports team and he's never mentioned. Frank Robinson was the 1st black (I believe) to EVER manage in the major leagues. Again, never mentioned.

If the lack of recognition to Larry Doby bothers me, I can only imagine how his family feels. I just think he should be acknowledged somehow. Same with Robinson (Frank) & ESPECIALLY Russell.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  6. Yankeefan5545

Yankeefan5545 Well-Known Member

Retired
    Per the old country song "Do What You Do, Do Well" Robinson did it but others did as well. I remember Doby, good ball player, another favorite of mine among many from that time was Minnie Minoso. Loved that name good ball player as well. Stan Musial seeing a group of black all stars playing a pre-game poker session sat down with them and said deal me in. A gesture like that from Musial was a huge step toward acceptance. And I will agree, the best 42 was the last man to wear it.

7. Rick2583

And then there are those that take idolizing to the level of over the top exaggeration, like the cheater in Boston David Ortiz who said, "I would not be here today if it weren't for Jackie Robinson" Sure you would you ass-wipe because then we would have had Larry Doby day or Josh Gibson day or Willie Mays day etc. And besides, what made you what you are today came out of a syringe.

8. Hammerojustice

Hammerojustice Chief Caveman, Keeper of Thor's Hammer

definitely unheralded... and it baffles me...

9. Rick2583

I mentioned earlier about over the top exaggerations, Michael Kay just joined the club. Said Kay regarding Jackie Robinson, "Many of these players on the field today wouldn't be here if it weren't for Jackie Robinson" Yes they would Michael Kay because 51 days later someone else joined the league & we'd be celebrating Larry Doby day.

Again, I'm not trying to take anything away from #42 I just think enough is enough already.