TRob vs Claver

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I was reading through the posts about Claver and our bench. I think we have a couple positions that are log jammed right now. Guard is especially bad with CJ, Will, Crabbe, and Mo, but I wanted to talk about the backup four spot.

We have Robinson and we have Vic.

Realistically, I think stretch four is probably Claver's best position and I don't see Robinson playing small forward or center. So this creates a dilemma because we only have so many minutes to go around.

Who would you rather give the minutes to?

At first thought, I was leaning towards Robinson because I think he has a much higher ceiling. TRob has the potential to be really good. It's hard to say if he'll ever live up to the hype that he had coming into the draft, but I think he could easily be a starter in the league.

Claver on the other hand is the quintessential role player. He has a high BBIQ, he plays hard on both ends of the floor, and he understands his role on the team. He's exactly the kind of player that a San Antonio or Utah back in the 90's would have used to help get them deep in the playoffs.

So while one player has the much higher ceiling, I am concerned because I don't see how Robinson is ever going to fully realize his potential in Portland. Unless LA leaves, the power forward spot is on lockdown, and it's pretty obvious that Rolo is the present and future at center. So what happens to Robinson long term? He has two years until he's a RFA. I think he'll only continue to get better, and it will be more difficult to keep him happy on the bench. LA is young enough that it's hard to say that Robinson will be the long term replacement for LA.

Vic on the other hand is only 25, so it's not like he's old. He could easily be a longterm answer as a backup four with some spot minutes at small forward.

Obviously nothing has to be done immediately. We can easily hang onto Robinson right up until the end of his contract, but I would like to see us start to pick and choose some of these young guys and focus on development. Robinson has a high ceiling, and he could bring a nice payout from an extremely low investment. I think we'll see LA sign a max extension in the very near future, so that locks up the power forward position for the foreseeable future. I would like to see this kid succeed, but I don't think it will ultimately be in Portland.

2. GrandpaBlaze

GrandpaBlaze Predictions Game Master

I think Robinson has higher potential as well and could be a legitimate starter in the future - perhaps not a star but a solid player. That being said, he may also be one of our stronger bargaining pieces in the off-season. He could be a buy-low, sell-high guy.

I'm not advocating trading him, but if the right deal comes along, he could be the cherry on the top to seal the deal.

Gramps...

3. Natebishop3

That's really how I'm looking at it. I like Robinson. He's so athletic and he's always going. Very high motor. I'm just seeing down the road and I don't know that he has much of a long term future here. I really think we need to start focusing on playing some young guys, because we have too many to keep happy. I don't think Crabbe is going to stick here. I have my doubts about Leonard. I really like what Will does and I still have high hopes for CJ.

So do we just keep developing Robinson as an insurance policy in case something happens to LA?

4. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

most "stretch 4's" can shoot the 3 ball well or at least have a good/solid/reliable outside shot which Vic has so far not shown in "real" games, I am a big Vic fan as he is so solid in all other areas, the reason Dorrell Wright has been getting a lot of backup PF/stretch 4 minutes is that he can shoot better than Trob or Claver from outside and even he has not been all that good or consistent at it. Trob is not a stretch 4 which is okay.

if TRob can work on and become consistent at the 15-18 ft jumper he will solidify himself, he has good form (so does Claver lol), just has to really put in the time this offseason

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  5. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Claver and Freeland are both players that could take what they've learned in the NBA and go back to the Europe for a nice payday. Freeland especially would be one of the most dominate players over there at his position.

6. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    I would actually like to see Claver go the other way: work on his footspeed, his agility and play a big three, rather than a strech four. He has terrific court vision and is an excellent passer. With some ballhandling development, he could become somewhat of a point forward as a backup, allowing McCollum and Barton to play together.

He will never be the quickest SF, and he may get smoked by smaller, quicker SFs, but he could pound them on the other end, and he will always keep them chasing him.

7. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    My second five for next year (I think Mo is gone)

PG - McCollum
    SG - Barton
    SF - Claver
    PF - Robinson
    C - Freeland

Leonard looks at least another year away from being able to give consistent minutes, but I love his potential.

8. Natebishop3

What about Wright? I also don't think CJ is a point guard. I think we need a backup point guard to play with Dame and CJ ain't it.

9. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

Teams can only have one max extension, and a lot of people here said Damian will get that. I don't know or care too much. I have a feeling Thomas Robinson could net a very nice piece for a trade, but he's already a cheap nice piece. I think we will ride Robinson until his rookie contract expires, and we'll trade him. I think Claver is the odd man out, but also a valuable piece to trade as he has shown talent. I believe Pop could easily make him the next Ginoboli.

10. Eastoff

I don't see how Wright stays with us next year.

11. Natebishop3

He's definitely not a Manu, but he could very easily be a Shane Battier type of guy. Someone who plays defense, passes, and can hit a shot from time to time.

12. Natebishop3

He's under contract, I believe.

13. Eastoff

The only way I see Claver exploiting opponents on the offense is if he does a lot of back to basket work, which seems like a clog for TRob and Freeland in at the same time.

14. Eastoff

sure, but I think he'll get moved.

15. Natebishop3

It's possible. I think we'll make at least one big move this summer.

16. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I want to keep both, but there is an obvious minutes issue. It's choosing whether to go for limited but solid contribution or potential upside. I think clave r's shifts on the court will generally offer a lower ceiling bit a higher floor. And Robinson will offer a higher ceiling but lower floor.

17. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    My point is that Claver can play point forward. CJ can bring the ball up, but Claver can run the offense.

18. Kaydow

Kaydow Well-Known Member

Construction Sales
    If Claver could shoot, it's a no brainer. His court awareness, passing ability, defensive versatility will bode well for him somewhere, if not in PDX. His shot mechanics and release look good so it's logical to believe he can improve. If he can shoot 45% FG, & at least 36% on 3s, he can make a huge impact with all of his other abilities. He needs to work on that this summer. It's the only thing holding him back.

TRob is always going to struggle with court awareness IMO. His athleticism and energy make him intriguing. But too many times I've seen him make an amazing play & follow it up with a mental lapse. He'll make a highlight real block & then stand and watch as someone grabs it & lays it in. He has so many blocked shots where our opponent keeps possession. Sending a shot into the stands looks good, but who cares if you don't get that possession? TRob has a lot of SC worthy highlights, but he doesn't do the little things (set hard screens, box out, take a charge, etc). All year you expected him to show signs of improvement in those areas, but it never happened. Don't think it will with him. Nice kid, good teammate, but not a real smart BB player. Love for him to prove me wrong.

19. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

I think willbthrilled is potentially your point fwd/point guard. his confidence and skillset seem to be forming him in that mold.

20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

To me you keep both these guys and bring Claver in behind Nico as a backup 3-4. I've been clamouring for Victor to get playing time all season. He's maybe the best defender and passer on the team at his position. He can bang in the post. According to Wes, he's a better shooter than folks think. His game is way more developed than TRobs but TRob is the future.