James Harden's defense

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Apr 18, 2014.

1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

This is probably referenced in other threads, but it's glaring how bad this guy is. Dame is bad, but he at least tries. Harden doesn't even feign interest in D.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVYJULACcao[/video]

One of our top priorities on offense must be to attack this guy. Harden's offensive impact can significantly minimized if he drops 30, but gives up 20-25 to Wessy.

And you know Wessy is gonna bring it in the playoffs.

2. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Listen, Harden averages around 30 points in the playoffs and when you can do that. You can get away with not playing defense.

3. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Not if you want to win titles you can't. His patented try to swipe from behind the player, as he's blown past him, is lazy defense.

can get away with not playing defense...smfh...only losers think they can get away with not playing defense.

illmatic99 likes this.
  4. illmatic99

Ya his bad defense can sorta be neutralized by Dwight and Asik, but only to an extent. Those guys will be getting into foul trouble very quickly if Wes attacks Harden.

His stance on D is appalling. He's standing straight up and flat footed on many of these situations.

5. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    that is probably why he plays that way. But when was the last team to win a title that used funneling (?) as it's main defensive tactic?

I think Houston fans would give up some of his offense for passable defense. I'd give up some of Damians scoring if his defense was average.

6. illmatic99

TBH, I don't think he's funneling-- he's just lazy.

7. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

We need to have Wesley run him off screens all night ala rip Hamilton

8. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Harden's lack of effort on defense may be a nice thing for us to exploit. Just force him to chase Wes, and then hope Matthews gets hot.

Harden is going to get his. So is Howard. The key is keeping Wes and RoLo out of foul trouble and making Parsons, Beverley and Lin beat you.

Ironically, the Rockets seem to see it the same way. They expect LA and Dame to get theirs, but want to force Nico and Wes to beat them.

9. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Let it be noted that when Corey Brewer scored 51 points it was while playing SG against the Rockets.

10. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Harden's man moving without the ball and coming off screens. Harden isn't bad in the post on defense but he is terrible chasing his man around the court. Even if Harden elevates his play on defense during the playoffs having to chase his man will tire Harden. We can have Nic fill in for Wes role with no drop in production, but Houston loses a lot when someone fills in for Harden.

11. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    If you can, watch a Houston game or two before the Playoffs. They REALLY lose defensive focus. We're terrific at making the extra pass, and patience is what is required to deal with them. You can attack them in the paint before their defense sets up, but once it does, you just have to move the ball around and run Harden and Parsons off of screens. They'll quit after 15 seconds.

What you don't want to do is allow them to set up their D and let Beverley harrass Lillard so the clock is 12 or under by the time we start running a play. That's death for us.

With Beverley and Howard, they're top 10 on D because they can defend at the point of attack and in the middle. Without them, they are close to the very bottom of the league. Especially without Beverley, because Howard doesn't stray from the key much.

If Lillard can get Beverley in foul trouble, we stand a much better chance of competing with Houston. Lin's best defense is his offense. Otherwise, he's atrocious on D.

12. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

Wow, the defense was HORRIBLE, and I thought Dame was bad. No Dame is just new, Harden is just flat out lazy. Holy shit.
    If WE can't exploit that shit then Stotts is not paying attention.

13. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    If Stotts isn't paying attention, I'm pretty sure Wes is.

I think this series will be won at the defensive end. Both teams can flat out score. It will be the team that can make the stop at the end that will win.

14. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

This!
    And I certainly agree with everyone stating that the offense must go through whoever Harden is guarding. I don't give a fuck if Jones is on LMA, run the offense through Harden's man.

15. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

I hope Matthews tries to do to Harden what Beverly is going to try to do Lillard . . . out work him on both sides of the court.

It's playoffs, time for Lillard and Harden to step up their defense and lead their teams on offense.

16. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

I like this from the comment section:
    I've noticed however that we often don't exploit things like we should. For example, if we get a team in foul trouble early in the quarter we settle for jump shots, or if a guy is in foul trouble they don't keep attacking him like they should.

Whoever Harden is guarding needs to cut back door on him all night long, and if Dwight or Asik comes to help, the bigs need to cut to the basket. Lopez is good at that.

17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The title of this thread is an oxymoron

18. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    I think he'll be more active on defense than he was in the regular season. The games mean more, they're further apart and he will become familiar with Wes, Mo and perhaps even Will.

The key is to test his commitment to playing defense. Run him around the court, through screens and see if he gives up and leaves the man he's covering with an open shot.

19. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I've been thinking exactly this. Furthermore, just freaking tire him out. There is a reason he loaf's on defense beyond 'because he can'. He is saving himself for offense. Tire him out. Then let's see what he's got left in crunch time.

20. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    Something Stotts would never do but I think could be interesting is having Lillard guard Harden. I think it's worth a try. You put Wesley on Beverly and Nic on Parsons and you make it much harder for them. Harden would get his, anyway, and I actually think he's the type of player Dame can be relatively successful guarding