Thonus: Joakim Noah DPOY could alter pursuit of Melo

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by truebluefan, Apr 22, 2014.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Joakim Noah dominated the votes (100 1st place out of 125) much like he dominated on defense. Noah anchored the second best defensive team in the league. He was #1 in defensive rating (95.8) and defensive win shares (6.6). He also picks up a 500k bonus which the Bulls saw coming and created room under the tax to absorb.
    One thing they can't avoid is the extra cap hit next season.

For those trying to calculate how to fit Carmelo Anthony in on the Bulls next year, you'll now have 500k less to work with as Noah's bonus goes from "unlikely" to "likely" and will count on the initial salary cap number.

The Bulls may have to pay out another bonus to Taj Gibson as well, which could reduce the cap by another 250k. If Gibson hits his bonus target (believed to be making 2nd team all defense) then Chicago will be down a total of 750k in their Melo signing possibilities.

This will mean that a Melo trade will involve losing Taj Gibson or offering Melo a first year salary under 17 million. An amount which means his total contract would be 50 million less than what NY could offer him. In other words, he may want to win first, but don't hold your breath. I'm not sure I'd give up 50 million to try to win a ring either.

Read more http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-b...joakim-noah-dpoy-could-alter-pursuit-of-melo/

2. bullsger

bullsger Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Or they just pay the tax.

3. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    $750K?

What's the tax on that?

$2M?

Pay it.

4. truebluefan

I concur!

5. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Unfortunately, that's not the point. What Thonus is saying is that, if the Bulls amnesty Boozer to put themselves under the salary cap in order to sign Anthony outright as a free agent, the bonuses for Noah and Gibson will reduce what they can offer Anthony.

Note: If the Bulls amnesty Boozer, they'll be miles away from luxury tax territory.

6. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    By $750K.

So he's certain to go for $17.75M rather than turning down $17M.

I guess I don't get it.

If he'll accept $17.75M, he'd take the $17M.

It's just not incrementally enough more - he'd have to take a massive pay cut either way.

I don't see a FA signing anyway. S&T.

7. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Thonus says he sees a S&T, too.

They can take back more salary than they send out, and it is $750K closer to paying the tax.

For those of us who expected the S&T and to stay under the LT, it is $750K less likely. And I do think asking him to take a $2M pay cut instead of a $1M one would be an insult.

Pay the tax, as some of us figured out already.

A S&T is likely Boozer and filler. Taj may be needed because of his salary, and ability.

Boozer can still play, and is expiring.

8. bullsger

Ok.

9. bullsger

Wanted: A scorer at crunch time

Isn't this enough for management to see that they need a scorer like Anthony?

http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=10826567&type=story

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  10. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    It's not that clear that Melo even wants to play here.

During the post game show, they talked about how the Bulls don't have a player you can give the ball to and say, "go get me a good shot, or even a basket." All teams go through dry spells shooting, and if you have a guy who can at least draw fouls, you can put points on the board during those dry spells.

There's something to be said for going with what got us here, but it isn't working.

Maybe a little outside the box thinking is in order? Play Boozer in Q4 for a few seconds. Or play him when you need baskets. Play Jimmer.

You think I kid about Jimmer. What I saw was the Wizards couldn't stay with the small and quick DJ until either he got too tired to be effective or they figured out Ariza could shut him down. Well, Ariza can't shut down him and Jimmer.

What do we have to lose?

11. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Maybe Thibodeau will give Fredette some burn during crunch time in Washington, but I doubt it. If you want to win in the playoffs with Thibodeau, you need to give him at least one more scorer who can also play some defense. Giving him another scorer who's a defensive liability simply won't help since you can't score from the bench.

Of course, you could get rid of Thibodeau and replace him with a coach who would play guys like Boozer and Fredette at crunch time, but if you did this, the games might not be winnable at the end of games.

I missed Luol Deng the last two games. There, I said it.

12. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

If there was an average coach here, this roster would not be in the playoffs. It would be a shambles.

In the playoffs you need a guy or guys to create and hit the big shot. The Bulls don't have that. Not even close. Its supposed to be Rose. Deng would be a #2-#3 but he's not great at it either. Its been a miracle season to get to the #4 seed, but now everyone is trying really hard, and we're at where we're at.

13. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    The Bulls were down 56-49 at half. Kirk started Q3 but drew his 4th foul early and was replaced by DJ (at the 9:40 mark).

Boozer scored 3 of the Bulls first 5 points and assisted on the other 2 as the Bulls came back to 56-54. With Boozer and Dunleavy and DJ playing, all "defensive liabilities," the Bulls gave up just 14 points in the quarter and scored 26. We led 75-70.

The group Thibs played in Q4 gave up a 5 point lead and only scored 16 points in the quarter.

I don't buy the line that Thibs will only play defensive players, for one, nor that we need to have nobody who can score on the court in able to have a chance to win games.

Having Kirk go 1-3 in Q4 and 0-3 in OT plus the missed free throws with the game on the line is puzzling. He actually played Dunleavy 8 seconds in the OT, and Thibs did the offense/defense substitution replacing him with Taj. Fine. Then with the game on the line, down 2 (101-99), and a 20 second timeout called, Thibs came out with non shooters/scorers in the lineup. Again puzzling. I guess the strategy was hoist up a brick and hope for the offensive board and tip in?

As I wrote before: "There's something to be said for going with what got us here, but it isn't working."

Only two games left to figure out something that does work, and we have to do it on their home court.

If they're going to keep the rotation tight, a change is to find more time for Dunleavy and/or Boozer. If they want to change something for real, put Jimmer out there - Ariza can shut down (pick one) DJ or Jimmer, but not both.

14. bullsger

Hope that we see some more Boozer, Dunleavy and Jimmer. But I don't expect this...

15. truebluefan

kinda going with some of you are saying, Thibs plays this team all season long at maximum effort. Playoffs begin, we cannot kick it into another gear so to speak. We are who we are. Has been true of most of his teams at Chicago.

We need scoring. We complained about it when Bogans was our starting SG and same is especially true now!

It has to be addressed once and for all this summer.

We need more than just adding Melo. We need scoing off of the bench as well.

16. bullsger

I think that it isn't Melo necessary. But another scorer besides Rose and scoring off the bench.

17. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    When your game is "play real hard for 48 minutes" you'll win regular season games against teams that don't play real hard. But every team plays real hard in the playoffs.

18. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

Right. Now with Rose (and Deng) we saw that we could get to the ECFs but lose to one of the more mighty teams around. Noah is likely better now than then. Back then, it was clear we needed a second scorer/shooter/shot creator, hopefully at the 2 guard, to help Rose out in those situations.

Management could never get that player (sorry rip) and Rose blew his knee out so we're at where we're at. I don't think anyone had any illusions of a title run here. Not with Cap'n Kirk, DJ and Jimmer and losing Deng.

These games have been a lot like the tougher regular season game the Bulls have had. Close. Scoring droughts. The need for someone to step up at the end and hit a couple big shots. Kirk drew the foul last night, but clanked the free throw. Thanks Cap'n!

19. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    The Bulls got to play the 37 win Pacers and 44 win Hawks on their way to the ECF. Power house teams, both! Yet those series weren't sure things once the games started.

Rose shot .396 in the playoffs. Lu shot .426 as 2nd option.

Funny how I'm seeing ex Bulls in the playoffs. CJ Watson, Korver, and Brand in the Pacers/Hawks series. Aaron Gray and John Salmons in Toronto. Teague in Brooklyn. Marco for the Spurs. Sefalosha in OKC. JCrossover in LA. James Johnson in Memphis. Omer in Houston.

Not Lu.