Fans ask the questions, the Chris McGowan edition!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Apr 24, 2014.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

The Blazers got back to me and here is the Chris McGowan interview. Thanks to everyone who submitted questions, sorry more of them couldn't be answered.

NHL:

How much work are you putting in behind the scenes to bring NHL to Portland?

The idea of the NHL possibly coming to Portland certainly excites a fan base here that already loves hockey, thanks to the Winterhawks. But there is nothing going on behind-the-scenes at the moment that involves our organization and the NHL.

What are the chances of an NHL team coming to Portland and if so, any idea what would happen to the Winterhawks?

The NHL holds the Portland market and all of the Pacific Northwest in high regard as a viable region for hockey. The success of the Winterhawks is a positive contributor to that feeling. But right now there are no NHL teams looking for a new home.

Rose Quarter/ Moda Center:

When will the fountain at the Rose Quarter be fixed? Will it still shoot fire?

Refurbishment of our signature fountain in the Rose Quarter is among the capital improvements we’ll be working on in the coming months. As for what it does or how it will look, we’ll save that for maybe a grand re-launch event down the road.

When looking at ways to try and enhance the experience of fans in the arena do you favor the route that Sacramento is going where they are trying to enhance the gaming experience with technology use, mainly in getting more access to the game via your cellphone from inside the arena or the Mark Cuban route where he wants everything and everyone focused on the game at hand and not encouraged to look away from the live action and onto a mobile device?

Technology can definitely add to the fan experience inside and outside the Moda Center. Our new Trail Blazers mobile app has been a huge hit with fans by bringing better access to highlights, statistics, player information and live, in-game play-by-play. We’ve also upgraded the Wi-Fi system in the Moda Center to make use of smart phone technology even easier.

Is the RQ/Jumptown project dead?

That project involved the City of Portland and parties close to Nike. Whether that idea is ever resurrected isn’t something the Rose Quarter directly controls.

Having traveled to road arenas, I've been able to witness several different types of game day experiences. While I like the way the Moda Center is run, one thing I love (and prefer) about the presentation I've witnessed in LA and NY is the dimmed seating lighting to increase the atmosphere and focus the attention on the court. Have you looked into this type of setup for Portland? If not, I think you definitely should. The Memorial Coliseum had a fairly similar setup to these places and I miss the way things were lit in the arena there.

Creative use of arena lighting is something we’ve looked into. We’re already proceeding with some new LED lighting around the top of the Moda Center, which would allow us to change the outside color scheme of the building based on what’s happening inside. For example, lighting the building “red” on a night when the Trail Blazers are playing.

Why are the Trail Blazers opposed to building a MLB stadium near the Rose Quarter?

If ever there’s a decision to bring Major League Baseball to Portland, I’m sure multiple sites around the region would be considered as potential stadium locations.

How many discussions have been had with the city and private enterprises to fully develop the area surrounding the Rose Quarter into a commercial retail park (i.e. Bridgeport Village or Tannesbourne Plaza)?

The future development of the Rose Quarter and the entire Lloyd Business District are definitely areas of interest to city officials. Public/private partnerships are key drivers. We’ve already triggered our own development plan with the recent opening of Dr. Jack’s and the announcement of $16 million in capital improvements to the Moda Center and Rose Quarter.

Is there any long term viability in developing the Rose Quarter into an LA Live type venue?

SEE ANSWER TO PREVIOUS QUESTION

If the All Star Game ever comes to Portland (we're not holding our breath), do you know what kind of say you or the team would have in it? I.E., not just being a commercial for Sprite and Kia (etc.).

NBA All-Star Games or any large-scale events like the NCAA Tournament, which coincidentally will play early-round regional games here in 2015, are branded entities with tremendous corporate support that must be visible. There are also benefits to being the host venue and host city, which Portland would most certainly enjoy.

Why have The Blazers abandoned rural Oregon fans?

In our minds, we hope all Oregonians are Trail Blazers fans and embrace us as “Oregon’s Team.” Coming into this season, Charter Communications began carrying our flagship broadcast partner Comcast SportsNet Northwest, enabling thousands more Oregon households, especially along the Oregon coast, to have access to Trail Blazers games. We’re also working to expand our network of radio stations who already broadcast games across Oregon.

Most can't get Comcast, I never see the team promoted in the local media anymore (Beautiful Central Oregon in my case), and they no longer play pre-season games here once a year like they used to. That was a big deal for the fans.

When I moved here from the Portland area 12 years ago The Blazers were a visible and talked-about part of the community. Now they're not, to put it plainly. Why not?

Our community relations efforts through the Trail Blazers make it better Foundation is actually an award-winning provider of support and financial resources to charities across the region. We also connect with our fans in the communities where we live and work through thousands of volunteer hours by our own Trail Blazers employees.

Comcast/TV Deal

It's pretty obvious that you inherited a mess with the current Blazer TV deal. With that finally coming to an end in a few years what can we expect from the next TV deal. What will you do to make it easier for fans to watch games?

Give me some examples of pressure the Blazers organization is putting on their TV partner CSNW to make themselves available on DirecTV and Dish Network.

When was the last time you met with CSNW to discuss resolving this ridiculous situation?

BLANKET ANSWER:
    The carriage of regional sports networks by satellite service providers like DirecTV is something we’re paying close attention to. Those negotiations affecting Comcast’s availability are beyond our control, but we remain optimistic about a positive outcome for our fans.

Fun/Random/Misc.

Is McGowan a Scottish name? Are you Scotch?

Has anyone ever told you that you look like Seth MacFarlane.

Why did the team choose the rip city alternates to become the sleeved jersey next year? Why not create a new design for the sleeved jerseys?

Are there any plans to introduce a new set of alt uniforms?

I read that the Blazers are switching over to Ticketmaster next season. They have a reputation for service high fees. How will this change benefit the fans and what kind of fees should we expect to see?

Ticketmaster will indeed be our ticket services provider effective July 1. Our switch to their wide range of interactive services, including online, was in direct response to Trail Blazers fans wanting to better manage their individual ticket accounts using the Internet. Fees can sometimes be part of customer service and convenience, but we hope you’ll find them to be reasonable.

Does Paul Allen really have a secret apartment in the Moda Center and have you ever been inside it?

I noticed you sometimes give away yours seats to games on twitter. Any chance you could give them away in the forum for a game or two?

You got to go with Paul Allen to the Super Bowl. What was that like? Did you go to the after party with Paul Allen's band and Macklemore?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  2. SlyPokerDog

I got to meet Mr McGowan yesterday when I was at the Blazer mothership to interview Schonz, he was very friendly and said some nice things about the forum and our partnership with them. I was excited to finally get the questions and answers back from him but between you and me in reading these responses I sorta get the feeling that the questions were answered by the PR department and not Mr McGowan himself.

3. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
  4. SlyPokerDog

5. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

CE-Bro of the Blazers.

6. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

He's a likeable guy. I give him and Olshey plenty of credit for the culture that is currently in place right now. I think a lot of what you are seeing with this team is a result of what these two are doing.

Did he say he reads this forum?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  7. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I wonder if the blazers are doing a white out, too bad you already interviewed him!

8. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Thunder sticks with red LEDs.

9. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

How do you know? That sounds sick though!

10. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Really?

11. SlyPokerDog

Yes, the pictures of them look pretty cool.

12. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

13. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I'd like to see them!

14. SlyPokerDog

They were all over twitter earlier today. Look on Comcast Sports NW's website.

15. EL PRESIDENTE

Nice I've used these in Vegas. Foam with an on and off switch.

Last time I was there they had wristbands with LEDs that would change colors based on what and when the venue wanted. They had a guy that would control when the bands lit up and what color. Pretty crazy shit

16. EL PRESIDENTE

McGowan says this is replacing the "Hey" song.

[video=youtube;ZB_mhLJQw_I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB_mhLJQw_I&list=UU4H4w4LlcVQsc2Jk3HbOP-A[/video]

17. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I went through and read the Q&A and damn...I am impressed with the quality of these questions. Well done everyone, and great job answering them by the CEO as well.

I especially liked the question about arena lighting. It sounds like that is something they might be implementing for these playoffs!

18. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

All due respect, where is the Schonz interview?

19. EL PRESIDENTE

20. chris_in_pdx

chris_in_pdx OLD SCHOOL

I would like to know this as well.