Rolo's coverage on Howard

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PtldPlatypus, Apr 24, 2014.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

So, I'm rewatching the first quarter of last night's game, specifically looking at the way Lopez was attempting to defend Howard. He seemed to do a good job making Dwight catch the ball several feet from the rim. But it seems to me that Howard's first step when he's faced up is just too quick for Lopez to handle. I wonder if, once Dwight catches the ball, Lopez would be better served giving him an extra couple feet of space. It's not like Howard is going to take a jumper from that distance; you know he's going to put the ball on the floor.

I don't claim to know the game very well, so you guys weigh in. Is Howard good enough with the ball to burn Lopez in that scenario? Is it better to just let him get his like we did (early) in game 2? Is there another defensive strategy that would be more effective? Does he simply require a double-team regardless? What do y'all think?

2. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

This has already been discussed at length in another thread, but it appears that part of Stotts' strategy was to let Howard bog down the offense, even if he scored, in the first half. In the second half, there were some late doubles, which let to some turnovers. I thought it was a coaching masterpiece, and I wouldn't change a thing. I'd rather have Howard take 17 shots in the first half than Harden/Parsons take 6 open 3s because of Portland double-teaming automatically in the post on Howard.

3. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Thee's two very simple, almost insect-simple tactics in play:

1 - If you have the choice between a 2 point shot and a 3 point shot, you let them take a two point shot.
    2 - If you're going to get called for the foul, foul the worst shooter you can.

Both those tactics result in the strategy called "Let Dwight get his."

The late double off of Beverly/Harden nullifies the advantage Dwight got in the first half, so expect that all game. Dwight's not going to pass.

4. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

Love the fact that they froze the guards/wings out and gave it to d12. keep it up rockets!

5. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

If you know your opponent has a shitty battle plan, why stop them from pursuing it? :lol:

6. blazedanugz

blazedanugz Well-Known Member

i think you do need to give a little more space, I also think you have to take away baseline and force him into the middle as well. make him shoot a hook shot over a baseline dunk. I also think Lopez was trying to stay out of foul trouble after getting a quick one in game 2

7. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

I think Dwight wore down after that monster first half. When they Blazers could shut down all of the Lakers back in the down, aside from Shaq, they often succeeded more than when they focused on slowing Shaq. Shaq would wear down and become less effective, make mistakes, charge his man, shuffle his feet, etc. It would kill the rest of the offensive flow for the rest of the game. I kind of felt like I was watching that last night. I don't know if it works every night, but with Aldridge on fire, it certainly did last night.

8. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

It's fine if you want to let Dwight wear himself down, you just have to avoid getting the "and ones" and it won't be too bad. I thought the refs were actually pretty lenient on Rolo last night because there could have easily been 3 or 4 "and ones" on a few of those dunks.

9. BLAZINGGIANTS

Yeah, I felt like that went both ways, though. LA was fouled on at least two of his made jumpers, without whistle, and on his dunk on the right side by Asik. But let's be honest..... a lot of and-1's slide in the NBA. Unless they're super-blatant/obvious, the refs don't blow the whistle unless the offense doesn't score.

10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Yeah, there was definitely a foul on that dunk by LA, but I'm fine with them not calling it because they let Rolo play for the most part.

11. BLAZINGGIANTS

Hey, I prefer they let them play as long as the team at least gets their bucket (or if the foul is extremely hard/obvious/blatant).