Will the second round be EASIER than the first round?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by OSUBlazerfan, May 4, 2014.

1. OSUBlazerfan

OSUBlazerfan Writing Team

Since Friday night, I've been basking in the awesomeness of that shot that we've all been waiting for since that game 7 meltdown, but I've also been thinking just how good Houston was and how fortunate we were to pull this off.

Superstars win championships, and Howard and Harden are two superstars and two of the top 12 players in the league. Howard dominated us, and when he didnt, or we doubled, the swing pass to parsons or Beverly was there. Luckily, as many people have pointed out, Harden was stifled by Wes for most of the series.

I remember starting every game like "oh god, here we go again, a steady dose of howard and harden"

Neither San Antonio, nor Dallas, has two superstars as good as Houston. And for as much crap we give Beverly for being cocky and a pest, hes an outstanding defensive player. And to think what lillard did too him, makes me salivate at the thought of what he will do against Parker/Ellis/Calderon.

Its also true that he will be hurting much more on D this series because those three above are all better than beverly, but since neither of those teams have a harden, wes and batum will be able to help even more.

Either way, I'm so happy we are done with the rockets, and am confident going into this second round, regardless of the opponent.

Now, IF we make the WCF, that will be a much more difficult task :)

2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

The 2nd round will be harder.

3. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I certainly hope the Blazers players don't think it's going to be easier, or let down in any way. That might be difficult to avoid. That was such an intense six games, maintaining that same focus is probably hard to do. I'd think it might be a little like dropping your first home game back after a successful and tough road trip. We've seen that a few times.

Every series is going to have it's unique matchups and challenges. These teams aren't in the second round because they aren't good at playoff basketball. Blazers need to maintain their A+ games.

Go Blazers!

4. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Every round gets harder.

Houston posed a whole different threat compared to Dallas/SA but that doesn't mean it's gonna be easy. The bench has to be ready for the upcoming round and it's kinda scary.

5. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

It will be easier....for us. If they go deeper the stress will come back for me. Next round is gravy and I can watch just to see if this team has what it takes. I think they do.

6. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I think the stress of making it past the first round took a lot of pressure off of Portland. I expect them to come out loose and ready for the next challenge

7. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

Considering the Spurs are 100x better than the Rockets

Yes, it's going to be much harder

The Spurs play the best team basketball in the NBA

Great team offense and great team defense

8. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

Ridiculous post. I understand hyperbole but give me a break. They may actually have a 100 times better coach.

9. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Yes, I think it will be easier. Howard was amazing this year. Can't remember a big man playing that well and losing the series in a long time. Doesn't mean the Blazers will win, we could easily play worse for a few games. But I don't believe the Spurs would've won the series we just did if they were in our shores.

10. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    To me, it'll be easier. Houston really concerned me as they flop and complain non stop and get the refs pissed... and it leads to poorly ref'd games and opposing players losing their composure and getting into foul trouble. A very dangerous team. SA may flop a bit, but they are a much more straight up team to play. If they beat you, it's usually because they earned it as opposed to cheated for it. I also like the way we match up with SA.

11. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

I think the refs did a good job of not calling flops last series. Don't think it was really a factor at all.

Overall in every playoff series they're letting the players play. So far it's been what of the best reffed playoffs I've ever seen.

12. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

Get ready for pop to ride the refs all game then they get the late calls

13. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Spurs are a much better TEAM. However, Portland also matches up much better against them.

Howard played like I haven't seen him play in a long time.... and because of that gave Portland fits.

Going into the Houston series, I was giving Portland a 30% chance of winning. Going against the Spurs, I would give the Blazers a 45-50% chance of winning. I think I will enjoy watching it a lot more too (without Harden).

14. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

15. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

If Lillard and Aldridge can continue playing like they have been, we've got a good shot. Duncan can't run with LA anymore, and Lillard in Silent Assassin Mode is hard to stop no matter which physical scrub is on him. Need seven Good Mo games, and maybe a few Monster Truck games too, to pull out four wins, but it is possible!

16. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    If you count the spurs out you are in for a rude surprise. They are the best team in basketball at the moment and just because they got taken to 7 by the Mavs doesn't make them a bad team. They have the best coach in basketball and a great team that has played together forever and been in every situation imaginable so they won't blink at anything we throw there way.

17. BLAZER PROPHET

Overall I agree that fewer flops were called than I expected. But aside from the final game I can't understand why the reffing was so bad.

18. BLAZER PROPHET

I can't imagine anyone counting them out. They are the top team in the West for a reason. We will have to bring our A game.

19. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Oddly enough, I think the keys to this series will be Splitter's d and Patty's production. And I don't know what to expectfrom Kawhi. Dont think he played vs us in the regular season. He and Nic are like clones of one another.

20. chris_in_pdx

chris_in_pdx OLD SCHOOL

No. The Blazers are fucked. I'd be surprised if they lasted to Game 6.