Who is the better .... Suns or the Mavericks?

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by dirkenator, Apr 1, 2007.

1. dirkenator

dirkenator BBW Member

Ok yeah .... kudos to the Suns you won 2 games .... This game I give you due credit. You killed us. Last game .... was really messy only 1 free throw would have put the game in the bag for us. When Nowitzki plays at full efficency I dont think even Amare is a factor to be worried about....ok come on bring me your sharp rebuttal :boxin: ... even though barbosa is talented ... for some reason I hate him more than any other player on the Suns

2. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

Wrong boards but meh it'll be moved by a mod.Dallas is better. Pheonix isn't nearly as deep they are stuck with a 8-man rotation while the Mavericks can use their full 12 man active roster on the floor effectively. The Mavs bench is one of the best bench's of all time which will be the difference between last year's playoffs and this years. It takes alot of stress off the starters and let's them play at their best when the Mavs need them. Although I do expect the Suns to increase their rotation with moves and a lottery pick in the off-season.Both of the teams have coaches who are bringing fresh ideas to the team making them more effective every single night. Dallas is on their way to a 70 win season on Avery Johnson's third season, in his first season he took Dallas to the conference finals and to the finals the year after that. Avery Johnson, before his career is over, will be one of the most accomplished coaches of all time. Then there is Mike D'Antoni who came from Europe who brought the fast break "showtime" style basketball to Pheonix and it has fit beautifully.Pheonix takes the battle when it comes to starting lineups although not by much. Jason Terry, when he first came to Dallas wanted to replicate Nash and it didn't work however soon after he went back to his scoring style and that has been great for the Mavericks. Terry sets up the offense but also does what he is most effective at doing, scoring. Devin Harris is one of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA along with an amazing ability to draw the charge. Josh Howards is arguebely the most talented SF in the NBA, Avery Johnson himself said that he is "the engine" to the Mavericks offense. Dirk has stopped taking as many three's and long range jumpers in result he has been able to use his size to pound it inside. There is no doubt that he can still knock down from long-range and that is a huge weapon to damage alot of defensive teams and is also something that the Mavericks lacked previousely. Erick Dampier is the weakest link to the Dallas starting lineup and can not matchup to Amare Stoudamire, he has the strength but Amare is just to Athletic to be slowed by Dampier.The Suns have Nash, one of the greatest point guards of all time. He has the best court vision that the NBA has seen for a very long time. They have Raja Bell, the perfect role player. He is a great perimeter defender and can run the offense with ease. The Matrix, the most versatile player in the NBA is one of the Suns unstopabble big three. He can run the floor like no one else in the NBA and play some of the best defense in the league. Boris Diaw's numbers have lowered this year becuase of Amare's return however he still has the same versatility he had last year and STAT. Amare is the most athletic 5 in the NBA today, his body control makes it a huge challenge for opposing center's to defend against. Now STAT continues to improve a jumper that will continue to create a nuisance for all squads in the NBA.The Mavericks play slowly most of the time but if they need to they can run with the Suns. The matchup will really come down to which of the MVP performers plays better. The leaders of these squads need to lead the way to victory. When a team sees their star player on the floor performing at 100% it will charge them up as well. Although the Suns have a great starting lineup, the Mavericks is not much worse. The depth is what I think will hurt the Suns this year. So, All-in-all it will be one hell of a 7 game series but I'll have to stick with Dallas.

3. ASUFan22

ASUFan22 BBW Global Mod Team

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dirkenator @ Apr 1 2007, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Ok yeah .... kudos to the Suns you won 2 games .... This game I give you due credit. You killed us. Last game .... was really messy only 1 free throw would have put the game in the bag for us. When Nowitzki plays at full efficency I dont think even Amare is a factor to be worried about....ok come on bring me your sharp rebuttal :boxin: ... even though barbosa is talented ... for some reason I hate him more than any other player on the Suns</div>You can say the same thing about a ton of the Suns losses this year. If it worked that way we'd only have lost 5 games, the point is we did beat you.The Mavs are better overall, but I think head-to-head they are pretty even and it will be a great series if they both move on to the WCF.A couple things though...teams usually shorten their rotations in the playoffs so I don't see depth hurting us much at all. I don't mind any of their bench players going in for one of their starters, none except Stackhouse, really bother me.And I agree the MVP candidates will be a big factor. Most games will be close, even though I expect a couple blowouts, so they will need their leaders to step up and make clutch shots. Both have done it in their careers so it should be interesting..

4. Suns Fan Guy

Suns Fan Guy BBW Elite Member

I love watching the mavs get a whoopin'

5. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GArenas @ Apr 1 2007, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Dallas is better. Pheonix isn't nearly as deep they are stuck with a 8-man rotation</div>In the playoffs all teams use a 8-9 man rotation.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>They have Raja Bell, the perfect role player. He is a great perimeter defender and can run the offense with ease.</div>Raja Bell can't run the offense. If you mean blend into the offense and feed off nash's passing, then you're right.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The Mavericks play slowly most of the time but if they need to they can run with the Suns.</div>Mavs don't play slow. They may not be Phoenix, but they are still one of the more up tempo offenses in the league.Anyway, Dallas has less chinks in their armor, are more versatile, and can adapt to any style of play and win. They have the best 8-9 man rotation in the league full of scorers, good defenders, and leadership. Their coach is a genius. With all of this said, in a 7 game series, I think Phoenix would take it. Amare (who Dallas, after 2 years, STILL has NO answer for), Barbosa, and Diaw are all matchup nightmares for the Mavs. If the right rotation is on the floor, Marion can guard Dirk and give him trouble. Nash is Nash, and you know about the great gunners that the Suns have. Last year, without ANY low post presence (Amare, KT) and without their best shooter and perimeter defender healthy (Bell), the Suns took the Mavs to 6 games. With those 2 players, and another year of being together and learning from past mistakes, I think would enable them to beat the Mavs in a 7 game series.

6. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

This isn't a difficult question to answer. It's definitely Dallas. Phoenix tries to beat their opponents by shooting themselves to a victory. They play zero defense, and while they do have some good individual defensive players, so what.. every poor defensive team has one or two guys like that. If Suns fans think this game is something to brag about and just say that Phoenix is better than Dallas straight up, then someone just needs to tell them to wait until Dallas plays them in the playoffs.

7. mavsfan1000

mavsfan1000 BBW Elite Member

Dallas is the better team. Phoenix played a great game though today. Dallas has not been playing well lately though and the reasons I think they are struggling include Dampier being out, Dirk Nowitzki playing on a sprained ankle, Josh Howard playing on a sprained ankle, and todays game Harris was a no show thanks to the 2 early fouls that forced him to be cold off the bench. To add on I think Harris is better utilized as a spark off the bench and Buckner should get the start on Nash or Barbosa. Preferably Nash.

8. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nitro1118 @ Apr 1 2007, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>In the playoffs all teams use a 8-9 man rotation.Raja Bell can't run the offense. If you mean blend into the offense and feed off nash's passing, then you're right.Mavs don't play slow. They may not be Phoenix, but they are still one of the more up tempo offenses in the league.Anyway, Dallas has less chinks in their armor, are more versatile, and can adapt to any style of play and win. They have the best 8-9 man rotation in the league full of scorers, good defenders, and leadership. Their coach is a genius. With all of this said, in a 7 game series, I think Phoenix would take it. Amare (who Dallas, after 2 years, STILL has NO answer for), Barbosa, and Diaw are all matchup nightmares for the Mavs. If the right rotation is on the floor, Marion can guard Dirk and give him trouble. Nash is Nash, and you know about the great gunners that the Suns have. Last year, without ANY low post presence (Amare, KT) and without their best shooter and perimeter defender healthy (Bell), the Suns took the Mavs to 6 games. With those 2 players, and another year of being together and learning from past mistakes, I think would enable them to beat the Mavs in a 7 game series.</div>The Suns have used this 8 man rotation all year however. The Mavs in certain games my play more than 9 guys. Their bench is much more accomplished than Pheonix's this year even with the scoring that Barbosa brings to Pheonix, Dallas has a veteran bench that brings locker-room merits and smart basketball on the floor.Yeah, my mistake on the Mavs running slowly, dont know why I wrote that. In no way however do they usually run as fast as the Suns but they can if it is neccesary.Also, I said that Bell is the perfect role player. When I say he can run the offense it doesn't mean he creates his own offense but that he won't miss open shots or make dumb passes on the offensive end.Amare would be the key to the Suns victory but the Mavs could play transition defense which is a problem that the Suns need to address. Barbosa and Diaw both can be defended by the Mavericks I don't see how their would be a matchup nightmare on these two guys. Marion can bother Dirk but how much? Can Marion matchup against Dirk in the post? He can bother Dirk but not slow him down to having a horrendous shooting night. It will however force Dirk to take less jumpers.Dallas is a much deeper and more confident team than they were last year. The key to the series would be transition defense as much of this series will be played in transition.

9. ASUFan22

They would be a match-up nightmare because Diaw killed them last year and they have yet to stop Barbosa this year. Leandro hasn't been stopped by many teams, I actually couldn't tell you if he has been stopped this year...he's just too quick and there's so many offensive options around him and it makes him even harder to defend.

10. Nitro1118

[quote name='GArenas' post='323924' date='Apr 1 2007, 10:17 PM']The Suns have used this 8 man rotation all year however. The Mavs in certain games my play more than 9 guys. Their bench is much more accomplished than Pheonix's this year even with the scoring that Barbosa brings to Pheonix, Dallas has a veteran bench that brings locker-room merits and smart basketball on the floor.[/quote]I'm not arguing that the mavs bench is better than the Suns.
    When you say run the offense it implies he can be playmaker (ala Steve Nash). I see you did not mean that, but for future reference don't use that term.
    Unlike last year, where the Mavs could collapse on the shooters due to no post presence, wuth Amare down low it opens up the halfcourt offense and gives jump shooter open shots. Therefor, the Suns will be very effective in the halfcourt.Diaw, due to speed and athleticism, will give any 4 or 5 on the Mavs big problems (same with Amare). Barbosa has given the mavs big problems the past few games, and while Harris is also very fast, he was burned by Barbosa today.
    Dirk doesn't play in the low post, and won't overpower Marion or drive past him. Marion is long and athletic enough to where he is the best option for contesting Dirk's jumper. If you watched the game 2-3 weeks ago, Dirk was destroying Diaw, but when Marion was on him he had difficulties.
    The key to the series is who dictates the game based on matchup problems and how they can exploit the opposing team's matchups.

11. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASUFan22 @ Apr 1 2007, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>They would be a match-up nightmare because Diaw killed them last year and they have yet to stop Barbosa this year. Leandro hasn't been stopped by many teams, I actually couldn't tell you if he has been stopped this year...he's just too quick and there's so many offensive options around him and it makes him even harder to defend.</div>The Mavs could place Harris on Barbosa. Harris could matchup with Barbosa's speed, Barbosa is very fast and can never be completely shut down but can be bothered by Devin Harris who was doing a great job on Wade in the first two games of the finals. I understand that today Barbosa sped by Harris today I'm sure that Harris will prepare for Barbosa in their next meeting.Diaw would create some problems for the Mavs especially if they have to put Dirk on him however couldn't the play Buckner or George on him?

12. ASUFan22

If they want to match our small line-up and sacrifice rebounding with Damp on the bench they could do that, and lose.

13. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

[quote name='ASUFan22' post='323951' date='Apr 1 2007, 11:40 PM']If they want to match our small line-up and sacrifice rebounding with Damp on the bench they could do that, and lose.[/quote]If they go small they will sacrifice rebounding, that is one of the Suns great advantages Amare's ability to run the floor. There are going to be matchup nightmares on both teams however.
    Another advantage for the Suns that I have taken into consideration. Diaw matched up horribely against Dirk their first couple of meetings. As I said, Harris will not be able to shut down Barbosa which is why Erick Dampier will need to play the post on the defensive end and attempt to alter and block shots. I also believe that Harris could bother Barbosa in the playoffs, definetely more than he did today.
    I saw this game and once Marion got on Dirk, Suns got themselves back into the game. As I said Marion will cuase problems for Dirk's jump shooting, it will force Dirk to use his strength to score his points.
    There is more than one key to every series. That is a "universal key" to really all playoff series as there will always be matchup problems. However, alot of this series will be in transition and whoever can get the most stops in this running match will become to victor.

14. dirkenator

dirkenator BBW Member

for the people who think barbosa cant be stopped .... he was limited to only 8 points against the pistons .....

15. Diawsome

Diawsome BBW Elite Member

Over the last three seasonsHead-2-Head: Phoenix 12 Dallas 11Playoffs Phoenix 1 (6) Dallas 1 (6)@ Dallas: Phoenix (7-5)@ Phoenix: Dallas (6-5)Suns average 111.2 ppg (116.6, 104.3, 116.5)Mavs average 109.0 ppg (112.0, 104.7, 112.8)When these teams face off against each other neither of them are any better then the other.

16. Nitro1118

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GArenas @ Apr 1 2007, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Another advantage for the Suns that I have taken into consideration. Diaw matched up horribely against Dirk their first couple of meetings. As I said, Harris will not be able to shut down Barbosa which is why Erick Dampier will need to play the post on the defensive end and attempt to alter and block shots. I also believe that Harris could bother Barbosa in the playoffs, definetely more than he did today.</div>Yet to be seen this year with the much improved Barbosa. And without Harris guarding Nash, Nash will be much more free to do his thing.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I saw this game and once Marion got on Dirk, Suns got themselves back into the game. As I said Marion will cuase problems for Dirk's jump shooting, it will force Dirk to use his strength to score his points.</div>And when has Dirk ever used physicality to score points? Never. If he scores, it will be in the form of a jumpshot.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>There is more than one key to every series. That is a "universal key" to really all playoff series as there will always be matchup problems. However, alot of this series will be in transition and whoever can get the most stops in this running match will become to victor.</div>In this series, more than any other, there are an abundance of matchup problems for both teams. In the waning minutes with game close, neither team will be doing any running, and it will be a halfcourt game. I don't think it will be as much of a factor as you are insisting.

17. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nitro1118 @ Apr 2 2007, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yet to be seen this year with the much improved Barbosa. And without Harris guarding Nash, Nash will be much more free to do his thing.And when has Dirk ever used physicality to score points? Never. If he scores, it will be in the form of a jumpshot.In this series, more than any other, there are an abundance of matchup problems for both teams. In the waning minutes with game close, neither team will be doing any running, and it will be a halfcourt game. I don't think it will be as much of a factor as you are insisting.</div>As I said there will be matchup concerns on both ends and they will have to be dealt with. From what I've seen this year Dirk has been using his physicallity much more often than before. Sure he still does rely on that jumpshot but if he truly is a MVP candidate he can adapt to this situation. The Mavericks being held off by the Suns defense is no concern, we all know pheonix lacks in that department. They have a few accomplished individual defenders but their team defense is weak. Mavericks have too many weapons to be slowed down by the Suns lackluster defense and the Suns are too powerful of an offensive squad to be slowed down by the Mavs. The waning minutes of the game are not the entire series as we saw today one team can pull ahead of the other and keep that lead when these two teams matchup. There is more than one factor that will decide the winner of the series.

18. mavsfan1000

mavsfan1000 BBW Elite Member

I believe Dallas doesn't like to slow the game down against teams. Though I still think they can beat Phoenix I would prefer playing the spurs as Dallas can play at a comfortable pace. Also Dallas really doesn't have anyone on their team to slow down Amare while Marion does a respectful job on Dirk. Terry is also a liability on defense against Nash. The things that hurt Phoenix the most are low post players and this is the one area on offense that Dallas lacks. Also I don't like when Stackhouse goes in the game too early. I would rather establish a defensive tone with Harris, Buckner, or George. Stackhouse should come in later in the first quarter to rest one of our big 3. Maybe not a huge deal but Dallas's biggest flaw seemed to be defense in this game so I thought that would help.

19. Memphology

Memphology BBW VIP

Im going to go with the Mavs...like probably mentioned before, they can play half-court and fast-paced. They play very good team defense, and unlike Phoenix, they can function without their star. Better coach, more experience, more versitlety..Phoenix has been quite overrated the past fews years IMO, and there should be no question the Mavs are better....not only that, but the best in the league.

20. ASUFan22

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (austingriz @ Apr 1 2007, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Im going to go with the Mavs...like probably mentioned before, they can play half-court and fast-paced. They play very good team defense, and unlike Phoenix, they can function without their star. Better coach, more experience, more versitlety..Phoenix has been quite overrated the past fews years IMO, and there should be no question the Mavs are better....not only that, but the best in the league.</div>When have they proved that? Dirk hasn't been injured yet. They are 0-2 against us even with minor injuries. Minor compared to what we went through I mean, not taking away from Damp.